Sponsored by:

Stall

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 02:43 PM
bhf_clt
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Stall

My apologies if someone has experienced and posted about this issue. I wasn't able to find it. So my GT3 stalled when approaching a stop light today. I was about 3 minutes out of my parking garage at the office and outside temp was 44 degrees. The engine was already warm from my drive into the office an hour earlier. I brought the car to a stop, turned the ignition all the way off and tried to crank it. It cranked right up, and I haven't had a problem the rest of the day (about 20 miles of driving). Car has about 1,400 miles on it in 45 days of ownership.

Thoughts?
Old 02-03-2015, 02:54 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

It's not real common but it is possible to stall the car. The clutch is not pre-engaged so if you give the car throttle and then quickly release, for example, it can stall. That doesn't sound exactly like the situation you describe, but an occasional stall has been mentioned here by a number of people. Unless it's happening frequently, it's nothing to worry about.
Old 02-03-2015, 02:54 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I think you can rule out temperature, I've had no issue down as low as 6 F. I can't help much other than that. I do recall someone else reporting a stall several months back.

Was the car in auto or manual?
Old 02-03-2015, 03:00 PM
bhf_clt
Racer

Originally Posted by NateOZ
I think you can rule out temperature, I've had no issue down as low as 6 F. I can't help much other than that. I do recall someone else reporting a stall several months back.

Was the car in auto or manual?
Manual but I was in neutral. Had both paddles pulled in as I was approaching the light.
Old 02-03-2015, 03:03 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Happened once to me a long while ago, car was warm. Didn't happen again.
Old 02-03-2015, 03:50 PM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gt3-2500 kms- never stalled. 991 carrera s 32000 kms-never stalled.

If just one off nothing to worry. If happens more often, avail your warranty.
Old 02-03-2015, 04:30 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,450 Likes on 754 Posts

If you recall the video of one of the first 991 GT3 cars seen in public it was over in Europe and it was white and the guy was driving it up in a trailer. The car also stalled on video so I think it is not a big deal
Old 02-03-2015, 05:29 PM
bhf_clt
Racer

Thanks guys. I appreciate the reassurances.
Old 02-03-2015, 05:35 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Yep, it's happened to me once. If you have the paddles pulled in neutral, then release and simultaneously give it too much throttle, it will stall.
Old 02-03-2015, 07:28 PM
awew911
Rennlist Member

Received 293 Likes on 136 Posts

Happened to me last week.
Old 02-03-2015, 07:33 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

This is all about paddle neutral. If you are in paddle neutral then engage the throttle, this can happen. I still haven't mastered it. I have stalled the car a couple times trying to get it right. To me it's part of the allure of what is a truly manual transmission, just without the clutch pedal
Old 02-03-2015, 09:42 PM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by bhf_clt
Thanks guys. I appreciate the reassurances.
It was the oddest thing and very disconcerting , maybe a month ago as I was rolling slowing in traffic up to a red light probably with both paddles pulled as I often do ( don't recall now specifically now) motor I wouldn't say stalls , it just shuts down. Cycled the ignition and it stared right back up
very odd. That began my brains what if scenario and those weren't fun thoughts; otherwise its been pretty much bullet proof
Old 02-04-2015, 03:29 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
It's not real common but it is possible to stall the car. The clutch is not pre-engaged so if you give the car throttle and then quickly release, for example, it can stall. That doesn't sound exactly like the situation you describe, but an occasional stall has been mentioned here by a number of people. Unless it's happening frequently, it's nothing to worry about.
Curious event. Happened to me first time in Jan after almost 14 months of ownership! Similar scenario as above. Talked to a few owners and most have had it happen once...part of the character I say and something to do with the light weight flywheel/clutch in the PDK-S. My 993 manual does more frequently than that die to LWFC...
Old 02-04-2015, 08:37 AM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA

Mike, are you suggesting to easing out the paddles when giving throttle, rather than quickly releasing them or to quickly release the paddles and ease out the throttle? I guess we can all just play around with it.
Old 02-04-2015, 10:56 AM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by R.Deacon
It was the oddest thing and very disconcerting , maybe a month ago as I was rolling slowing in traffic up to a red light probably with both paddles pulled as I often do ( don't recall now specifically now) motor I wouldn't say stalls , it just shuts down. Cycled the ignition and it stared right back up
very odd. That began my brains what if scenario and those weren't fun thoughts; otherwise its been pretty much bullet proof
The first time I tried the paddle neutral I stalled the car as you describe. Haven't tried it since. In many ways the PDK/S is similar to a manual transmission w/o the third pedal.

Quick Reply: Stall