Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I in the minority of no clear bra?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 08:17 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

It seems to me that with the prices of some of these clear bra jobs reaching &4k+, it does get a little bit ludicrous when compared to the price of respring individual parts no? If the price were indeed $1000 like the Op suggested, then it would probably be a no-brainer... But some of the money people say they're spending on all these nano coatings and coverings is like the price of a small car in itself
Old 02-02-2015, 08:21 PM
ZZinger
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

No wrap for me. I like the look of the paint. Even though clear bras have come a long way I can still see orange peel and edges on the clear wraps which irritate me. I have never done clear bra on any of my cars and never have had any major issues. A few rock chips here and there I am fine with that.
Old 02-02-2015, 09:01 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by bigkraig
man, if you leave 5m of space between you and the car in front of you around here someone will shove their way into it. must be nice!
4 million people in a country the size of the UK....and 50 million sheep!

Naturally I was referring to open road driving where stones get flicked and do the damage :-)
Old 02-02-2015, 09:12 PM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Received 416 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
I travelled 200 miles on Euro roads, no sand blasting. To get the front of a car peppered with rocks you need to be travelling close to ghe car in front. I always leave a 100m gap between myself and the car in front even when going on our regular Sunday back road runs with some buddies I do Tarmac rally with.

If there is advice I can give folks about the areas that get chipped on the 991 GT3 it is:

1) behind front wheels on wheel arch (this is alloy panel)
2) behind rear wheels on rear bumper/arch (this is plastic painted)
3). On dimpled steel rocker panel directly below OEM rear clear guard liners (this is steel and gets rock chipped easily).

If I had my time again those are the only three areas
I would do along with the headlights (which I did not due to the specific warning in the handbook that Mike in CA points out).

For those worry warts who must wrap everything in fear of a bit of patina, I hate to tell you this but after about 18 months and 6-10000 miles your wheels are going to need entirely respraying due to the rash and chips that the design and paint lend them-self too like a magnet! There is a completely separate thread for that with pictures. Not sure you can "wrap" wheels I suspect the plastic will melt on the track LOL.

P.S. I have just ordered matt black rear fender rock guards to place over the clear plastic (yellowing) guard protectors on track days because I cant be arsed spending an hour on my dodgy knee trying to clean off the tire marble marks after each track day :-). $65 well invested....
Macca, 1,2,3 spot on good advice indeed.

I agree about keeping distance between you and the car in front. Of course drivers in these parts always squeeze in between. Whenever possible I just try to avoid highways when I'm in the GT3.
Old 02-02-2015, 09:41 PM
rwcsn1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lol, how does one drive "carefully" with a car like this? Every single time I am behind the wheel I want to drive like mad. I guess I just drive like Jason Werth all the time.

Anyway, I am an anti clear bra guy. Even took off the factory stone guards. Went through the twisty roads here in CA (Mines Rd and Route 25 from Hollister) for some spirited driving. No damage to front, but 60-80 stone chips on both rear quarters. Paint guy of course says need respray. did look pretty bad, wish i took some pics. but i just did Dr Colorchip. you can still see them up close, but whatever. really want to know where the CA guys can really push their cars outside of the track without stone chips. i am putting back on some stone guards, just cannot avoid damage there.

Here's Mines Road, more than 25 miles of fun:
Old 02-02-2015, 09:52 PM
Money2536
Rennlist Member

Received 239 Likes on 78 Posts

No wrap for me. Like others said, I'm a paint guy. I can always tell when there is a film on a car. I get the appeal, but it's just not for me.
Old 02-02-2015, 10:01 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,526 Likes on 5,055 Posts

Originally Posted by Money2536
No wrap for me. Like others said, I'm a paint guy. I can always tell when there is a film on a car. I get the appeal, but it's just not for me.
Love the new avatar. Sums you up perfectly.
Old 02-02-2015, 11:08 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 174 Posts

I have 200 miles on my GT3 and about a half a dozen very small chips showed up above and below my stone guard on the rear fender on the driver's side. I couldn't believe it. Nothing you can see without a loop, but still- what the hell! Not sure what to do, I'm in the no protection camp after years of cars with protection and really being disappointed in the protection (many strike throughs) and the appearance.

You guys aren't helping coming in 50/50 so far, but I guess as a minimum front bumper and rear fenders will get something. I'm not a big fan of the full protection, unless you do a color change wrap.
Old 02-03-2015, 01:23 AM
PC Valkyrie
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've never installed a clear bra on any of my current or previous cars. The 991 GT3 is no exception. Car was bought for the driving enjoyment on the weekends and about 3-6 track days a year. It will be a low mileage car and I plan to keep it for a long time.....no concerns or thoughts about whether having paint chips will affect resale value (whenever that may be in the far future). The only thing I will do is use touch up paint to cover up the visible paint chips that come with time.......solely for the purpose of preventing bare metal from being exposed to the elements and to prevent rust.

I've been doing this for my other cars for years......yes, you can tell where the touch up paint has been applied, but I'm OK with that.
Old 02-03-2015, 09:08 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rwcsn1
Lol, how does one drive "carefully" with a car like this? Every single time I am behind the wheel I want to drive like mad. I guess I just drive like Jason Werth all the time.

Anyway, I am an anti clear bra guy. Even took off the factory stone guards. Went through the twisty roads here in CA (Mines Rd and Route 25 from Hollister) for some spirited driving. No damage to front, but 60-80 stone chips on both rear quarters. Paint guy of course says need respray. did look pretty bad, wish i took some pics. but i just did Dr Colorchip. you can still see them up close, but whatever. really want to know where the CA guys can really push their cars outside of the track without stone chips. i am putting back on some stone guards, just cannot avoid damage there.

Here's Mines Road, more than 25 miles of fun:
Mines Road south of Livermore - YouTube

Did you have it shut down just for you...lol What time of day was it? Never seen another car.
Old 02-03-2015, 09:13 PM
bigkraig
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

i didn't know you could upload flip books to youtube
Old 02-03-2015, 11:19 PM
gt2urbo
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No bra , track and hard driving. i dont care about chips. Doesnt everyone go nuts for magnus walker stuff. He has chips LOL...
Old 02-03-2015, 11:33 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 23 Posts

This thread has been moved to ferrarichat.com, where it belongs
Old 02-03-2015, 11:58 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

never a bra. ever.. my couch doesnt have plastic either and i still have sex on it....
Old 02-04-2015, 12:43 AM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by watt
This thread has been moved to ferrarichat.com, where it belongs
Lol...good to see you back dinosaur....

Quick Reply: Am I in the minority of no clear bra?