Am I in the minority of no clear bra?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 01:12 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,628 Likes on 2,313 Posts

i would always film
those who say film always shows... they dont have the right installer.
also, they dont last forever, 2-3 year you need to replace it. just like you can't wear your new underwear for the rest of your life.

if you have good install and change 2-3 years. you will not know it's there.
Old 02-04-2015, 01:44 AM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,831 Likes on 1,490 Posts

I don't post here much because I don't have a 911 at the moment but had a couple of 997's in Australia over a period of 6 years until last August.

But anyway, on this subject I'm firmly with Macca and armbar. My last car was a Carrara white 997.2 S which I tracked regularly and did over 50,000kms in. I bought it new, and by the time I sold it it was into its third front cover.

I just don't get the point of clear wrap. These days paint is both tough and cheap, and if you get hit by anything solid the plastic helps not a bit. Ask me - one day on the track a mates Alfa decided to destroy its clutch in front of me. Lumps of cast alloy don't bounce off.

And roads in Australia are every bit as rough and peppered in gravel as in the U.S. As an aside modern 911's are great dirt road cars and cover distance on long, poorly made single strip Aussie bush tracks amazingly well, at speed.
Old 02-04-2015, 11:56 AM
chrisk1200
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

All good pros and cons, but with low miles and no track days I think I will be braless.
Old 02-04-2015, 02:23 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

I sympathize with all the no-bra comments; that was me. Still, I thought I'd give it a try this time with a minimal covering of bumper and hood. For me, shrink wrapping the whole thing seems overkill, but TEHO.

On a red car I'm not worried about discoloration like I would be with a white one and even comparing the hood and fender side by side it's virtually impossible to tell a difference in the quality of finish. My service advisor couldn't believe the car had film on it.

I look at it as a $1500 experiment; as I said earlier, it gives me a little peace of mind and if it saves me one re-spray it's worth it.

Quick Reply: Am I in the minority of no clear bra?