Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991 GT3 vs: 997 GT3 Cup car - VIDEO

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 12:27 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

When you guys say 'slicks', are you talking about real racing slicks like on the cup car, or are you talking about semi-slick tires like the R6? I don't know what the time difference is between a real racing slick vs the R6, but I can put out some objective numbers on tires that I do have data on and let people come to their own conclusions

1) On a boxster spyder, NT01 tires will start to break away at 1.3 Gs
2) on a boxster spyder, hankook Z214 tires (semi slick) will start to break away at 1.45Gs
3) on a 991 GT3, MPSC2 will start to break away at 1.35Gs

The data shows that the MPSC2 is a touch better than the NT01, but not at semi slick level grip. The confounding variable here is that data from a boxster spyder isn't apples to apples with a 991 GT3. Can one assume that a GT3 can inherently hold slightly more Gs than a spyder? If MPSC2 last longer than NT01, it's a big win.
Old 02-01-2015, 12:56 AM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
When you guys say 'slicks', are you talking about real racing slicks like on the cup car, or are you talking about semi-slick tires like the R6?
My Cup car is on Pirelli racing slicks.

On my 997.2 RS I went down the slippery slope from the street tires to Pirelli Trofeos to Hoosier R6 to Yokohama race slicks. I have a good understanding of the times each will provide.
Old 02-01-2015, 01:15 AM
Total911_GT3RS
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is awesome! I really enjoyed that! Sounds fantastic! Thanks for posting. A real treat
Old 02-01-2015, 10:20 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,265 Likes on 2,434 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
When you guys say 'slicks', are you talking about real racing slicks like on the cup car, or are you talking about semi-slick tires like the R6? I don't know what the time difference is between a real racing slick vs the R6, but I can put out some objective numbers on tires that I do have data on and let people come to their own conclusions

1) On a boxster spyder, NT01 tires will start to break away at 1.3 Gs
2) on a boxster spyder, hankook Z214 tires (semi slick) will start to break away at 1.45Gs
3) on a 991 GT3, MPSC2 will start to break away at 1.35Gs

The data shows that the MPSC2 is a touch better than the NT01, but not at semi slick level grip. The confounding variable here is that data from a boxster spyder isn't apples to apples with a 991 GT3. Can one assume that a GT3 can inherently hold slightly more Gs than a spyder? If MPSC2 last longer than NT01, it's a big win.
I was referring to real racing slicks.

On equal tires, I'd expect the GT3 to have somewhat more grip than the Spyder, based on what appears to be a superior suspension and superior aero, along with PTV+, though the Spyder does have a weight advantage. There's also the debate about mid-engine vs rear-engine, and I suspect that mid-engine has a (small?) edge there.

Would be interesting and telling to see what your lap time is on that track in the Spyder with SC2 tires, though as noted, the lap time is affected by track conditions (and many other variables).

Quick Reply: 991 GT3 vs: 997 GT3 Cup car - VIDEO