Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wind Buffeting

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 10:04 AM
SanDiegoDavid
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 60 Posts

I had them installed a couple of weeks ago. I have not had a chance to go over 90 mph since the install, so an incomplete test. I have noticed at freeway speeds less wind coming into the cabin. I have not noted increase wind noise around the windows. Its a good looking product. Eager to do the trial out on the track. Next day is Feb 21, so will see.
Attached Images  
Old 01-22-2015, 10:06 AM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Strimdog
Anyone have experience with the AWE product? Seems like $160 is a no brainier if it fixes this issue. I noticed on their fitment guide the GT3 was not listed so I emailed them my VIN last week and they were able to confirm they work on the 991. I have no experience with them however.
Strim

I purchased and they didn't send the install instructions with the item, very annoying as they want you to scan a QR code or search SKU 1110-11002
on there web site , that's F..ing great when I had then sent directly to Sebring Fred ex for Winterfest and of course I had my printer all set up in the paddock
There is an interior trim piece on the front of the door where 997 mirror location that must be removed so to affix AWE carbon piece on the outside
(I haven't taken anything apart on this car)
I just affixed their carbon little triangle piece on top of the existing part with blue tape for the event works great as such however it is then protruding
further out than would be if properly installed

If one puts just the right window up 3-4 inches takes care of much of the buffeting which I did only to black flagged by the corner works doing their job
Old 01-22-2015, 10:10 AM
R.Deacon
Drifting

here is a pic blue taped testing
Old 01-22-2015, 10:11 AM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Originally Posted by SanDiegoDavid
I had them installed a couple of weeks ago. I have not had a chance to go over 90 mph since the install, so an incomplete test. I have noticed at freeway speeds less wind coming into the cabin. I have not noted increase wind noise around the windows. Its a good looking product. Eager to do the trial out on the track. Next day is Feb 21, so will see.
Did you get the dealer to do install ?
Old 01-22-2015, 11:24 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,061 Likes on 547 Posts

Deacon,
Your looks great with the Martini stripes.
Old 01-22-2015, 11:28 AM
Conekilr
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan C.
Deacon,
Your looks great with the Martini stripes.
+1

Old 01-22-2015, 03:28 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Why hasn't someone 3d Printed these for sale at like $49.99?

Ryan
Old 01-22-2015, 03:42 PM
SanDiegoDavid
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by R.Deacon
Did you get the dealer to do install ?
Yes, the dealer installed when I took my car in for warranty work. They did it at no cost, likely due to my recurring thermostat issue. Kudos to Ryan and Porsche San Diego.
Old 01-22-2015, 07:38 PM
R.Deacon
Drifting

^^^^Thanks David, will have my dealer as well

Thanks Alan and Peter
Old 01-22-2015, 08:12 PM
Strimdog
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by R.Deacon
Strim

I purchased and they didn't send the install instructions with the item, very annoying as they want you to scan a QR code or search SKU 1110-11002
on there web site , that's F..ing great when I had then sent directly to Sebring Fred ex for Winterfest and of course I had my printer all set up in the paddock
There is an interior trim piece on the front of the door where 997 mirror location that must be removed so to affix AWE carbon piece on the outside
(I haven't taken anything apart on this car)
I just affixed their carbon little triangle piece on top of the existing part with blue tape for the event works great as such however it is then protruding
further out than would be if properly installed

If one puts just the right window up 3-4 inches takes care of much of the buffeting which I did only to black flagged by the corner works doing their job
Thanks for the info Deacon - I'm gonna give them a try, I have an event coming up on the 31st so will try to get them on by then. Crazy they B Flagged you for having your window up a few inches. I gotta say, I'm not sure the rest of the world doesn't have it right, Windows up and turn signals to point by.
Old 01-26-2015, 04:23 PM
SanDiegoDavid
Rennlist Member

Tested the AWE wind deflectors up to 116 mph. They did well, none of the usual ear drum deforming buffeting. Will see what it's like in the 120-140 range with a track day next month. So far I'm happy.
Old 01-26-2015, 09:28 PM
Just in time
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

The buffeting is so bad that I have given up on opening the windows if I have my hearing aids on. Porsche surely could have done better, much better. The hearing aids amplify the buffeting to untolerable levels.
Old 01-28-2015, 02:01 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Tested the AWE wind deflectors up to 116 mph. They did well, none of the usual ear drum deforming buffeting. Will see what it's like in the 120-140 range with a track day next month. So far I'm happy.
Was looking at the AWE website for the wind deflector:

http://www.awe-tuning.com/awe-tuning...-wind-diffuser

In the description, it says "Allows for “single window” down driving without buffeting". That does me no good since both windows need to be down. Can anyone confirm?

I assume you had both windows down and had no issues?
Old 01-28-2015, 11:16 PM
SanDiegoDavid
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Was looking at the AWE website for the wind deflector:

http://www.awe-tuning.com/awe-tuning...-wind-diffuser

In the description, it says "Allows for “single window” down driving without buffeting". That does me no good since both windows need to be down. Can anyone confirm?

I assume you had both windows down and had no issues?
Joe,

I saw that, I can only confirm up to about 115 with both windows all the way down. There is plenty of wind, but i did not notice the buffeting like before. I don't do my next track day till Feb 21. Will report back at the speeds up to 145 of so. So far I'm happy.
Old 01-28-2015, 11:34 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Joe, I saw that, I can only confirm up to about 115 with both windows all the way down. There is plenty of wind, but i did not notice the buffeting like before. I don't do my next track day till Feb 21. Will report back at the speeds up to 145 of so. So far I'm happy.
Awesome! Thanks!!

Quick Reply: Wind Buffeting