Sponsored by:

Torn between GT3 and GTS cab!

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 10:52 AM
Porluv
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torn between GT3 and GTS cab!

Folks I would appreciate some genuine advice here I'm torn between the GT3 and a GTS Cabriolet and I'm struggling to make a firm decision

I know they are two different cars with different personalities. GT3 is more track focused precision instrument with everyday drivability (ish) this is the part that I'm not sure of since I haven't tested drive one yet. GTS cab on the other hand is a more dialled-in C2S, an everyday car fast enough for me (haven't tried the GT3 to compare).

I had a 997.2 C4S cab, was really fun car, putting the top down and listening to the exhaust note in the twisties was nothing short of exhilarating. I know the GTS would beet that in every way.

I was so sold on the GT3 based on the reviews and I have one on order, got allocation for Feb production ETA April. The order is not looked in until Jan 21st . So I still have a chance to switch the order to a GTS cab. Both are same price when spec'd to what I need.

If I go for the GT3 I know i'll love it but I will miss putting the top down, rear camera/ censors, key less go etc the conveniences that I got used to having in every car. The back seats to take the little ones for a spin and the noise at lower RPM compared to the GT3.

If I go for the GTS I feel that I would loose the opportunity to own a rare limited production car in a league of it's own based on what heard or read so far. The ability to rev the engine to 9k RPM, the power, the agility, razor sharp handling the RWS PDK-S etc. I want all of that not to mention the resale value. If I switch to the GTS the wait (torture) will be longer, it will be April production/ June delivery. Track wise I can take both to the track but not more than 2 or 3 times a year. I tracked the 997.2 Cab btw which was fun but the car was heavy.

Now I know some of you are already thinking that I should go for the GT3 drive it for few months and then sell/trade it for a GTS if I decide that GT3 is not the car for me. But that will cost a hefty chunk a change, I'm already suffering from this horrible taste for expensive cars. I'm currently driving an M4, great car btw, and I'll take a big hit when I sell it and I just can't keep turning brand new cars into used cars and sell them for 15% to 20% less than I what I paid for them in a matter of months.

I'm hoping that folks who experienced both can enlighten me to make the right choice especially GT3 owners.

Thanks
Old 01-18-2015, 10:57 AM
ATXGT3
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Might want to read this thread (minus the cab aspect) https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...-wins-out.html

Net/net it's a no brainer to me...GT3.

From a performance, resale, fun factor, unique...list goes on.

The 'bath' you refer too on resale will be substantial on GTS vs GT3.
Old 01-18-2015, 10:59 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,371 Likes on 2,487 Posts

Both are great options, with different strengths. Not sure you can gain much from opinions in this forum. I suggest taking some deep breaths, being patient, and trying to test drive both a GT3 and GTS (at least coupe, if you can't find a cab). You didn't say where you live, but surely you can find someone who'll let you drive their GT3 by now, and plenty of dealers should have a GTS in stock.

I had a gorgeous 997S cab. Let it go because I wasn't driving it much, but it was a wonderful car and I still miss it.
Old 01-18-2015, 11:15 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,457 Likes on 760 Posts

I saw a White GTS Cab at the Dealer yesterday. Very nice looking car but I think the GTS Targa in GT Silver would be my winner.

Now - I think if you have younger Children and enjoy taking the whole family out with the top down ect than I think he GTS is the route.

If you are selfish like me and are buying this car for yourself because you want to enjoy the ultimate toy and raw pure driving experience that very few cars can deliver today/tomorrow than the GT3 may be the right answer.

There is no right and wrong answer-you have to decide the intended use of your toy
Old 01-18-2015, 12:06 PM
Porluv
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ATXGT3
Might want to read this thread (minus the cab aspect) https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...-wins-out.html

Net/net it's a no brainer to me...GT3.

From a performance, resale, fun factor, unique...list goes on.

The 'bath' you refer too on resale will be substantial on GTS vs GT3.
Yeah read this one, still on the fence. I'm an expat in Dubai, there is a speed camera every 2 km on the highway and that's every highway. So to have fun in GT3 I have to track it every weekend which will be another reason for the Mrs to give me grief. "you bought the porsche...." Prada, LV, CD, diamonds and more diamonds
Old 01-18-2015, 12:11 PM
ATXGT3
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ah you're in Dubai--there are several members here in Dubai that might chime in.

If you need more of a 'family' vehicle, I'd even skip the GTS and just get a TTS.

Sounds like the wife will give 'grief' no matter which P car you buy, so get the one that you like.
Old 01-18-2015, 12:21 PM
nycjwi
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bottom line here is you must drive both cars asap! you are making a decision in a vacuum until you do that. based on your needs it does not sound like gt3 is the right car for you IMHO.
Old 01-18-2015, 12:50 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by Porluv
Yeah read this one, still on the fence. I'm an expat in Dubai, there is a speed camera every 2 km on the highway and that's every highway. So to have fun in GT3 I have to track it every weekend which will be another reason for the Mrs to give me grief. "you bought the porsche...." Prada, LV, CD, diamonds and more diamonds
OT: Thought you could drive crazy style with impunity in Dubai.. All those videos online.. Didn't realize speeding was an issue there
Old 01-18-2015, 12:53 PM
Porluv
Intermediate

Unless you have deep pockets, it's $200 a ticket
Old 01-18-2015, 12:58 PM
RFGGT3
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Drive the GT3 before you make your decision; should be easy after that.
Old 01-18-2015, 01:00 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

What was wrong with your 997.2 C4S cab? Sounds perfect for your needs and you seem to have enjoyed it quite a bit. The GTS cab is not going to be much faster (assuming 2% faster pro-driven lap-times don't make much diff to you) or lighter, and it has the same 3.8 DFI engine as the 7.2 cab.

Last edited by hf1; 01-18-2015 at 01:19 PM.
Old 01-18-2015, 01:21 PM
scycle2020
Burning Brakes

Gt3 is a totally different car than anyother 911. It is beast!!! The best word I think of is angry... It just wants to kick ***. The most alive, soulful and Porsche I have ever driven... And I have driven them all over the years... Ok, I haven't driven a Carrera gt or 918... Also at 130k Msrp its a steal...9
Old 01-18-2015, 01:27 PM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Porluv
Folks I would appreciate some genuine advice here I'm torn between the GT3 and a GTS Cabriolet and I'm struggling to make a firm decision

I know they are two different cars with different personalities. GT3 is more track focused precision instrument with everyday drivability (ish) this is the part that I'm not sure of since I haven't tested drive one yet. GTS cab on the other hand is a more dialled-in C2S, an everyday car fast enough for me (haven't tried the GT3 to compare).

I had a 997.2 C4S cab, was really fun car, putting the top down and listening to the exhaust note in the twisties was nothing short of exhilarating. I know the GTS would beet that in every way.

I was so sold on the GT3 based on the reviews and I have one on order, got allocation for Feb production ETA April. The order is not looked in until Jan 21st . So I still have a chance to switch the order to a GTS cab. Both are same price when spec'd to what I need.

If I go for the GT3 I know i'll love it but I will miss putting the top down, rear camera/ censors, key less go etc the conveniences that I got used to having in every car. The back seats to take the little ones for a spin and the noise at lower RPM compared to the GT3.

If I go for the GTS I feel that I would loose the opportunity to own a rare limited production car in a league of it's own based on what heard or read so far. The ability to rev the engine to 9k RPM, the power, the agility, razor sharp handling the RWS PDK-S etc. I want all of that not to mention the resale value.
If I switch to the GTS the wait (torture) will be longer, it will be April production/ June delivery. Track wise I can take both to the track but not more than 2 or 3 times a year. I tracked the 997.2 Cab btw which was fun but the car was heavy.

Now I know some of you are already thinking that I should go for the GT3 drive it for few months and then sell/trade it for a GTS if I decide that GT3 is not the car for me. But that will cost a hefty chunk a change, I'm already suffering from this horrible taste for expensive cars. I'm currently driving an M4, great car btw, and I'll take a big hit when I sell it and I just can't keep turning brand new cars into used cars and sell them for 15% to 20% less than I what I paid for them in a matter of months.

I'm hoping that folks who experienced both can enlighten me to make the right choice especially GT3 owners.

Thanks
The first thing I thought was, how are you even going to get a configurable GT3? Seeing as you have that covered, my thought is to re-evaluate your own thoughts. The fact that this is a rare, if not unique opportunity, should be considered again, especially since you have one of the few allocations available. On the other hand, you've got valid reasons for wanting a GTS.

I know what I would do. But, I have to ask, why did you sell the 997.2 C4S cab? Having kept that and buying the GT3 now would have been a solution.

Dan (thinks a convertible is nice, especially in So Cal but, didn't buy a 911 for a tan)
Old 01-18-2015, 01:31 PM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Received 310 Likes on 163 Posts

Whether you keep or trade in a new Porsche, your net worth goes down 15% on the price of most Porsche models you purchase in the first year. Cash flow is another matter.

If you have a family that enjoys the Cab together, I'd stick with the 997.2 or GTS. Otherwise, the GT3.
Old 01-18-2015, 01:47 PM
GregJGT3
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
What was wrong with your 997.2 C4S cab? Sounds perfect for your needs and you seem to have enjoyed it quite a bit. The GTS cab is not going to be much faster (assuming 2% faster pro-driven lap-times don't make much diff to you) or lighter, and it has the same 3.8 DFI engine as the 7.2 cab.
I think this is your answer. The question is whether or not you want something different or not. You already understand the GT3 is very different. If you sold the cab because you wanted something completely different, then the GT3 is the answer. However if you have sellers remorse on the cab sale or know buying the GT3 won't work for you, truly all the talk on this forum will not change that reality.
Our council can't change those factors. If not hearing the engine sounds because the top is not not down in the GT3 is a perceived loss, then don't worry the lack of sound deadening material in the GT3 let's in plenty of engine roar. As said on here already the GT3 is a personal car, there is only one other seat. If you can afford to be selfish on all fronts then get the GT3. Otherwise suck it up and go 4 seater...

Last edited by GregJGT3; 01-18-2015 at 01:50 PM. Reason: Typo

Quick Reply: Torn between GT3 and GTS cab!