Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torn between GT3 and GTS cab!

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 01:51 PM
Porluv
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There was nothing wrong with the 997.2 it was an 09 dropping in value like a rock since the 991 came out, sold it and got the M4, which is a great car but keep missing the 911 so decided to go back to Porsche. Placed an order for the GT3 in Dec got allocation 2 weeks ago. I love the idea of having a GT3 it would be the ultimate toy but can't stop thinking that GTS would be a better fit for purpose a more rational choice if you will

I wanted to test drive the GT3 but the two dealers in the UAE don't have demos
Old 01-18-2015, 01:55 PM
ATXGT3
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Porluv
GT3 it would be the ultimate toy but can't stop thinking that GTS would be a better fit for purpose a more rational choice if you will
I think you just answered your question
Old 01-18-2015, 02:46 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 403 Likes on 210 Posts

Sounds like a GTS Cab is the car for you.
Seems odd to cross shop a cab and a GT3. You need both.
Old 01-18-2015, 02:58 PM
Porluv
Intermediate

Originally Posted by kyrocks
Sounds like a GTS Cab is the car for you.
Seems odd to cross shop a cab and a GT3. You need both.
I wish but no can do
Old 01-18-2015, 03:05 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

There was nothing wrong with the 997.2 it was an 09 dropping in value like a rock since the 991 came out,...
Useless to pontificate about water under the bridge, but you sold the 09 right after you took the brunt of its depreciation. If you still had it, and if you kept in good shape, the 09 997.2 would have been the least depreciating car of all your current options (M4, GTS, GT3). If values dropping like a rock are of concern then switching cars every two years would be the worst way of addressing it.
Old 01-18-2015, 03:07 PM
grendel88
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If it is your only car, do not get a GT3. The fun you have when you get to drive fast will not cover the lack of luxury amenities. Really, the GT3 is a nice second car that with low miles will resale well if it is driven like a second car. The 991 is a great car and plenty, especially in GTS flavor. If you are worried about performance you can do TT with less performance options to be closer to GTS and GT3 price. If I had one 991 option as a only car, I would based on terms of budget: GTS loaded, TT well optioned, TTS. Good luck!
Old 01-18-2015, 03:30 PM
Conekilr
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

..I love the idea of having a GT3 it would be the ultimate toy but can't stop thinking that GTS would be a better fit for purpose a more rational choice if you will..
That's part of the problem...A GT3 is not a rational choice, it's all emotional for me anyways. Every time I've made "a rational choice" read compromise when it came to cars, I sold them in a short time. I say get the car that you want. In the long run it's cheaper and the most rational choice you can make...

Old 01-18-2015, 03:36 PM
HGM 10
Advanced

GT3 all the way, engine steering performance noise revs etc etc, you will NOT find that in any other car (in or on production)... If you are worried about convertible, in a GT3 you enjoy a lot more everywhere you go no matter if you had a roof, moonroof or convertibles, the enjoyment of listening to the engine is amazing, you will have the stereo off most of the time. Enjoy either way you go.
Old 01-18-2015, 03:56 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Conekilr
That's part of the problem...A GT3 is not a rational choice, it's all emotional for me anyways. Every time I've made "a rational choice" read compromise when it came to cars, I sold them in a short time. I say get the car that you want. In the long run it's cheaper and the most rational choice you can make...
Man, is that ever true....been there....

To the OP, forget rational. A cab and the GT3 are such different animals I don't personally see cross shopping them unless you have no idea what you really WANT. That's the key. Once you figure that out, the decision will be easy.
Old 01-18-2015, 04:10 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Get GT3 and get something else cheap for practical purposes (Golf GTI, Focus ST, Golf R etc). It'll probably cost you the same in terms of depreciation and you have a much better toy.
Old 01-18-2015, 04:18 PM
Porluv
Intermediate

Thanks for the posts everyone, will update you in a few days
Old 01-18-2015, 04:29 PM
UAEGT3
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

one more thing to consider, given the nice weather we have now in the U.A.E I can see why would anyone would love a convertible. Perfect weather, but soon in 2 more months you wont even think of using it once the furnace is turned on and the temp plus humidity start to climb.
If you want I can invite you to the next GT3 meet we have and there will be more than 11 GT3s at once that you can see and feel, it might help in ur decision making.

But from what you have written so far it seems you have answered ur question and ur choice is a GTS. Both are great cars.
Old 01-18-2015, 06:11 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

For the car guys I am friends with, we all seem to fall squarely into two camps. Those who must have a cab and those who will never buy a cab. I am squarely in the latter category. The only time I have ever enjoyed a cab is 2mph in a parade, otherwise I want a fixed hardtop, not a targa, no t-tops, no sunroof.

I just picked up my GT3 this weekend, we have owned lots of cars and I have driven a number of different Porsches. Nothing is like a GT3, you NEED to drive or get a ride in one asap before you decide.

Ryan
Old 01-18-2015, 07:48 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Simple... if you still like your other family car [assuming you should have one], get the GT3, if not get the GTS.
Old 01-18-2015, 09:11 PM
rwcsn1
Instructor

Originally Posted by reidry
For the car guys I am friends with, we all seem to fall squarely into two camps. Those who must have a cab and those who will never buy a cab. I am squarely in the latter category. The only time I have ever enjoyed a cab is 2mph in a parade, otherwise I want a fixed hardtop, not a targa, no t-tops, no sunroof.

I just picked up my GT3 this weekend, we have owned lots of cars and I have driven a number of different Porsches. Nothing is like a GT3, you NEED to drive or get a ride in one asap before you decide.

Ryan
I completely agree with this; I love the GT3 b/c it's a fairly non-compromised performance car, and I am puzzled why people keep asking for things like keyless entry, rear cameras, backseats or comparing it to cabs. Just adding unnecessary weight. If there is really that much doubt between the two, that really gives you your answer. just my 2c

Quick Reply: Torn between GT3 and GTS cab!