Sponsored by:

What little niggles about the GT3 that make you go, "hmmm?"

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 10:32 PM
1pvr
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Geez guys, read my post #36 just above. There's a simple solution to this issue.
That's just a compromise. I shouldn't have to compromise for something that's so obviously wrong. Should be a simple software fix. I don't like it when a decision is made for me.

Also, forgot to mention the absurd triangle upshift icon. Doesn't belong on any Porsche.
Old 01-17-2015, 11:19 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by 1pvr
That's just a compromise. I shouldn't have to compromise for something that's so obviously wrong. Should be a simple software fix. I don't like it when a decision is made for me.
The problem is that the radio is integrated into PCM, so when PCM is active so is the radio. A separate off function for the radio without turning off PCM would be possible, but it would require at least one and probably more than one step for the user to activate it. There's no way around that.

I guess they could have added another power switch just for the radio but that means still another button. More reasonably, they could have given the Tuner button a choice for "off" in addition to AM and FM and I suppose that would be more intuitive and slightly more elegant. But strictly speaking, pressing Media and then AUX accomplishes exactly the same thing in the same number of steps using existing buttons and functionality.

I get that this bugs some people. I'm ok with the fact that it works.
Old 01-18-2015, 12:40 AM
Pokerhobo
Burning Brakes

Received 563 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by MACH 86
The Cayman with the window down is the same. Unbearable buffieing.
Crack open the passenger window
Old 01-18-2015, 12:45 AM
DucatiSPS
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 28 Posts

350 miles on mine in two days now, love the car.

Two things I don't love

1. Stereo, it just sucks, better speakers, and some bass would be nice
2. Track precision app. It has the potential to be great, but falls flat, it's a waste of money. Video from smartphone app is washed out in any sunlight, and you cannot export the video with overlays, only watch it on the phone. Really **** poor implementation.
Old 01-18-2015, 08:25 AM
1pvr
Racer

The problem is that the radio is integrated into PCM, so when PCM is active so is the radio. A separate off function for the radio without turning off PCM would be possible, but it would require at least one and probably more than one step for the user to activate it. There's no way around that.

I guess they could have added another power switch just for the radio but that means still another button. More reasonably, they could have given the Tuner button a choice for "off" in addition to AM and FM and I suppose that would be more intuitive and slightly more elegant. But strictly speaking, pressing Media and then AUX accomplishes exactly the same thing in the same number of steps using existing buttons and functionality.

I get that this bugs some people. I'm ok with the fact that it works.
Mike, respectfully I think that you're making excuses for Porsche. My M5 doesn't do this, and it has everything the GT3 does... nav, satellite, radio, Bluetooth, phone, etc... all integrated into the BMW equivalent of PCM. If the radio is on when I turn off the car, then it's on when I start it the next time. Opposite if it's off.

It all comes down to the programming.
Old 01-18-2015, 11:55 AM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Pokerhobo
Crack open the passenger window
I use to do the same in my C4S all the time and no unbearable noise.
Old 01-18-2015, 02:11 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by 1pvr
Mike, respectfully I think that you're making excuses for Porsche. My M5 doesn't do this, and it has everything the GT3 does... nav, satellite, radio, Bluetooth, phone, etc... all integrated into the BMW equivalent of PCM. If the radio is on when I turn off the car, then it's on when I start it the next time. Opposite if it's off.

It all comes down to the programming.
Paul, I'm really not trying to make excuses for Porsche. Maybe I'm not experiencing the same issues you are and don't understand the problem.

I don't have to go through any button pressing or selecting process every time I turn off the car. 95% of the time I don't have the radio on (in the GT3 anyway) so the audio system already has been put into AUX mode rather than FM or AM. Essentially the radio is off and there is no sound coming through the speakers. The next time I start the car nothing has changed, the audio system is still in AUX and there is no sound, no radio. OTOH, if I was listening to AM or FM when I shut off the ignition, the next time I start the car the radio is on. The car remembers where the settings from the last time I drove it. Are you saying your GT3 won't do that?

Out of curiosity, when you say you are turning the radio "off" or "on" in your cars (both M5 and GT3), what exactly do you do to make that happen?
Old 01-18-2015, 02:28 PM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

Paul, I'm really not trying to make excuses for Porsche. Maybe I'm not experiencing the same issues you are and don't understand the problem.

I don't have to go through any button pressing or selecting process every time I turn off the car. 95% of the time I don't have the radio on (in the GT3 anyway) so the audio system already has been put into AUX mode rather than FM or AM. Essentially the radio is off and there is no sound coming through the speakers. The next time I start the car nothing has changed, the audio system is still in AUX and there is no sound, no radio. OTOH, if I was listening to AM or FM when I shut off the ignition, the next time I start the car the radio is on. The car remembers where the settings from the last time I drove it. Are you saying your GT3 won't do that?

Out of curiosity, when you say you are turning the radio "off" or "on" in your cars (both M5 and GT3), what exactly do you do to make that happen?
I don't like how the car turns on to the radio instead of defaulting back to bluetooth that was always the setting left after shutting down the car. I have to always return it to bluetooth every time I start the car.

It's gotten to the point I have to push sport, exhaust, lift, lock doors, bluetooth...and that takes a while to link up, parking brake off, before I go anywhere. The entire process takes about a minute. Yeah, I know, it's a minute, but having to do this after turning on the car with a left handed key, well, like this thread is entitled, it just makes me go, hrmmmm...

Dan (thinks it's a minor complaint compared to the awesomeness of the car)
Old 01-18-2015, 02:49 PM
Kaes
Advanced

One minor annoyance........

The oil measurement reading on the dash seems to have no consistency as to when it will actually display. I've tried every combination of conditions you can think of. Even when the engine is warmed-up, and I've been parked on flat ground for 5 minutes plus, the reading only comes up about half the time. It seems to be most consistent when I park the car at a shop or gas station, and the engine is shut off for a few minutes, then after I start it back up, the reading usually displays (but not every time).

That's about the only annoyance I have so far.........
Old 01-18-2015, 02:54 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,526 Likes on 5,055 Posts

For those that are annoyed by the default "radio on" feature of the car, personally I'm more annoyed by the default "air circulation activated" feature of the car.

I sort if understand why it's there, and makes more sense than the radio feature, but still a nit that I have with this cat.
Old 01-18-2015, 03:23 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by hfm
I don't like how the car turns on to the radio instead of defaulting back to bluetooth that was always the setting left after shutting down the car. I have to always return it to bluetooth every time I start the car.

Dan (thinks it's a minor complaint compared to the awesomeness of the car)
I haven't experienced that one. Clearly some of you guys use the audio system a lot more than I do in the GT3 so the way it works (or doesn't work) is more of a PITA. BTW, I do find the parking brake annoying. I should be used to it as I have an electric PB in the Cayenne but even after a year I haven't programmed myself yet to expect it in this car.
Old 01-18-2015, 04:35 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I haven't experienced that one. Clearly some of you guys use the audio system a lot more than I do in the GT3 so the way it works (or doesn't work) is more of a PITA. BTW, I do find the parking brake annoying. I should be used to it as I have an electric PB in the Cayenne but even after a year I haven't programmed myself yet to expect it in this car.
Just searched "parking brake" threads and I know its there somewhere but to save some time, do you still need to apply the parking brake while parking on unlevel ground?
Old 01-18-2015, 04:47 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

When the gear selector is placed in park a lock is engaged via a mechanical connection to a parking lock gear, the final drive is blocked, and the car can't roll. On a slope, though, I personally still use the parking brake.

In think that in some places, if your car rolls away and the parking brake hasn't been set, you can be cited.

Last edited by Mike in CA; 01-19-2015 at 12:41 AM.
Old 01-18-2015, 07:37 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 724 Likes on 396 Posts

There is nothing I would change.

Of course, I knew going in what the car was, and more importantly what it was not. You want heated reclining massage seats, cameras, concert stereo, and a latte maker, you are looking at the wrong car.
Old 01-19-2015, 02:01 AM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SanDiegoDavid
Had my installed. Seems to work well, although I have not had the opportunity to drive over 100 mph. Look good thou.
I was going to order these, but tried something today at the track that worked. Just roll up window 1.5 inches and it cuts down on the buffeting big time. Worked at speeds up to 130 mph

Quick Reply: What little niggles about the GT3 that make you go, "hmmm?"