Sponsored by:

What little niggles about the GT3 that make you go, "hmmm?"

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 02:12 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,224 Likes on 603 Posts

Originally Posted by Mech33
How about $160 for the AWE wind diffusers? http://www.awe-tuning.com/awe-tuning...-wind-diffuser
Excellent - I'm getting those. I'm not a fan of how they look but better than buffeting.
Old 01-17-2015, 02:16 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Settings for the radio should be remembered by each key. If you haven't turned the radio off with both keys, and are repeatedly swapping keys, that could be the problem. In case you're unaware, you have to press and hold the volume button to turn off PCM, just pressing the button mutes the radio but doesn't turn it off. But maybe you know all that. A tip: if you don't want to have to turn the PCM on and off every time then select the Aux or Disc input for radio. PCM will come on but you won't get anything over the speakers.
The problem with turning off PCM is that it turns off navi and cell phone integration as well. I'd love to be able to have music muted by default but the rest of the PCM on. But it's not specific to GT3 and ultimately not a huge deal.
Old 01-17-2015, 02:21 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 626 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
Excellent - I'm getting those. I'm not a fan of how they look but better than buffeting.
Yeah I wish they were made of the same black plastic trim material rather than CF.
Old 01-17-2015, 03:05 PM
rsterank
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I checked out the installation instructions and the door panels need to be removed to install. Most likely something I wouldn't do myself as it looks pretty involved.

OP did you have yours installed for you if so how much was it?

Originally Posted by Mech33
Yeah I wish they were made of the same black plastic trim material rather than CF.
Old 01-17-2015, 03:08 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

The problem with turning off PCM is that it turns off navi and cell phone integration as well. I'd love to be able to have music muted by default but the rest of the PCM on. But it's not specific to GT3 and ultimately not a huge deal.
Not a huge deal, but I agree it's annoying.

If you use the Media button to select AUX or DISC before you turn off the ignition then the next time you fire up the car PCM will come on but you'll get no audio (assuming nothing is plugged into the AUX input or there is no disc in the CD player).
Old 01-17-2015, 03:59 PM
1pvr
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agree that the radio default to on when the car is started is most annoying. Same as on my Cayenne. Asked my service department to see if it can be programmed to default to off or last position, but it can't. I rarely listen to the audio in the car, so default off would be nice.

I haven't gotten completely used to the transmission rattle yet, which is evident even when coasting off throttle.

Basic safety conveniences as others have said would have been nice, including parking cameras/sensors and the passenger side mirror tilt on reverse.

I'd like the text message acceptance for review to be accessible from the stalk/display on the dashboard, even if the message itself is still only visible on the PCM.
Old 01-17-2015, 04:22 PM
mlpor
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

From today's Washington Post news feed, "Innovations: My seat keeps vibrating. Will it make me a better driver before driving me insane? . . ."

Why are GT3 drivers being short changed by Porshce? Where is the GT3 vibrating seat? This isn't a "niggling" matter is it?
Old 01-17-2015, 04:29 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Many good points here - I especially echo the stupid thing with the radio always playing when you turn the car on - true with all the recent Porsches. It's irritating.

Ok, my top one is not a big deal, but it just bogles my mind how what a bunch of idiots need to make this product to have this issue. Basically, whenever I shut off the car with radio off, when I start the car the radio is on. WTF???!!! I have to remember to turn off radio before every track session or otherwise it starts to make weird sounds on track, sometimes making me think something broke.

But pretty much anything related to PCM or however Porsche calls this POS is just a source of frustration. Sometimes navigation system screams at me and sometimes I can barely hear it, and there is no logic to it that I can decipher. How do I make it show all gas stations on the map? Why does when I have my jukebox on shuffle, it plays Bob Marley at least 20x as frequently as Radiohead? I literally have "Easy skanking" on every other drive, and 5 times while I get to Thunderhill (2 hours) but I have not heard most of Radiohead songs once since I got the car. It's still better than my wife's possessed Cayenne, which sometimes combines my memory seat settings with her mirror setting and otherwise, so I guess it's a Porsche thing. Never had issues like that in any of BMWs.

But from the feature standpoint it's 1) comfort access or whatever they call it when you do not need to find the key to start the car would be nice - I have not used keys in other cars in many years; 2)sometimes windows do not fully close when I open and close the door quickly (it lowers the glass a bit but does not fully raise it back) - I had bird crap get into car via this crack once; 3) why not have a feature to push brakes so that one could change centerlocks without a brake depressor - it's so easy to make and would make changing wheels easier and faster; 4) brake pads taper in stock calipers - not much, but still, with such an awesome brake system otherwise, why did they miss that? 5) no red (or yellow) stripe on the steering wheel - it's cheap to add, but why not just have it there? It's not vanity - helps to see steering angle better on track vids. 6) sport mode for exaust not sticky - I have to push this button every time - could it just remember the setting? track suspension mode is sticky, which is completely counter-intuitive. 7) when stock seat is adjusted for my body, I cannot fold it forward because it bumps into the ceiling, and also the integrated headrests are dumb because they prevent use of any harnesses with sport seats - not an issue for me because I have aftermarket seats, but WHY??? 8) buffeting at speed with windows open - unbelievably bad, makes driving with open windows a pain and recording any sound at track with inside mic impossible.

Anyway, as you can see from the list, everything is very minor and almost not worth mentioning, although mildly annoying at times. Everything except PCM, which is truly a B-grade high-school computer science project, and maybe buffeting (I'd pay $5K for an option that would get rid of it, if one were available).
Old 01-17-2015, 04:55 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by 1pvr
Agree that the radio default to on when the car is started is most annoying. Same as on my Cayenne. Asked my service department to see if it can be programmed to default to off or last position, but it can't. I rarely listen to the audio in the car, so default off would be nice.
Originally Posted by golfnutintib
Many good points here - I especially echo the stupid thing with the radio always playing when you turn the car on - true with all the recent Porsches. It's irritating.
Geez guys, read my post #36 just above. There's a simple solution to this issue.
Old 01-17-2015, 05:22 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Geez guys, read my post #36 just above. There's a simple solution to this issue.
Mike, you are right - switching it to Aux or some other non-active input should solve the issue. I'll definitely try it. Not a perfect solution because it's not tied to the volume ****, but I'll take it. It's so annoying to me mostly because if one of our product managers created something like this, it would have been a disaster - we'd have to work nights and weekends till it's fixed. When you have millions of users with the "complain button" just one click away, things like this cause an almost physiological allergic reaction.
Old 01-17-2015, 05:29 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Mike, you are right - switching it to Aux or some other non-active input should solve the issue. I'll definitely try it. Not a perfect solution because it's not tied to the volume ****, but I'll take it. It's so annoying to me mostly because if one of our product managers created something like this, it would have been a disaster - we'd have to work nights and weekends till it's fixed. When you have millions of users with the "complain button" just one click away, things like this cause an almost physiological allergic reaction.
I hear you, Max....
Old 01-17-2015, 07:05 PM
fun2k
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wish it had bigger side mirrors, sometimes very hard to judge blind sports.
Also why oh why does it always engage parking brake every time i open the door,to reach for the parking entry ticket

When ... if you drive the car in auto it has 2 options.
1. non-pdk sports = for 90 year olds going to a grocery store
2. pdk-sports mode = for someone who just stole your car
They missed out normal mode.

And lastly why is this car so damn good at everything.Im at 10,000 km and i dont miss the manual as much as i did when i was at 3000km.Maybe because the exhaust 'crackles' at every gear change,it didnt before.

The blue coffee light disappears after a very short short short... warmup so does that mean i can go wot rite away???

Thats it for now.
Old 01-17-2015, 09:05 PM
MACH 86
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts

The Cayman with the window down is the same. Unbearable buffieing.
Old 01-17-2015, 09:06 PM
MACH 86
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts

Buffeting
Old 01-17-2015, 09:29 PM
Ducati1199
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My one and only niggle, albeit a very big one, is that the car is still in the parts bin in Germany and not due to be in my garage for another2.5 months 😂

Quick Reply: What little niggles about the GT3 that make you go, "hmmm?"