Sponsored by:

What little niggles about the GT3 that make you go, "hmmm?"

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 02:23 PM
1pvr
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Paul, I'm really not trying to make excuses for Porsche. Maybe I'm not experiencing the same issues you are and don't understand the problem.

I don't have to go through any button pressing or selecting process every time I turn off the car. 95% of the time I don't have the radio on (in the GT3 anyway) so the audio system already has been put into AUX mode rather than FM or AM. Essentially the radio is off and there is no sound coming through the speakers. The next time I start the car nothing has changed, the audio system is still in AUX and there is no sound, no radio. OTOH, if I was listening to AM or FM when I shut off the ignition, the next time I start the car the radio is on. The car remembers where the settings from the last time I drove it. Are you saying your GT3 won't do that?

Out of curiosity, when you say you are turning the radio "off" or "on" in your cars (both M5 and GT3), what exactly do you do to make that happen??
If I turn off the audio by pressing the volume/on/off button on the BMW, then at next start up the audio remains off (or on, if I left the audio on upon turning off the car).

In any recent Porsche, if I turn the audio off by pressing the volume/on/off button, then at next start up it defaults to audio on. I've defeated the annoyance somewhat by keeping the volume down to a bare whisper when I turn off the car, so it turns on barely audible at startup. I don't have an MP3 player, so I don't use/leave it in the Aux setting.

Anyway, enough griping about the audio. It is what it is in Porsches right now, until a software fix occurs.
Old 01-19-2015, 02:44 PM
03LX470
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the adaptive 18-way seats but no Comfort Entry feature (seat goes back, steering lifts up) that comes with 18-way seats on all non GT3. Has nothing to do with weight as the motors for adjusting the seat are already there I suppose. Not sure why they deleted this feature which is probably only software driven and nothing to do with weight.
Old 01-19-2015, 02:54 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 03LX470
I have the adaptive 18-way seats but no Comfort Entry feature (seat goes back, steering lifts up) that comes with 18-way seats on all non GT3. Has nothing to do with weight as the motors for adjusting the seat are already there I suppose. Not sure why they deleted this feature which is probably only software driven and nothing to do with weight.
Yes, this was strange. On some of the early orders, the order sheet clearly stated "with memory function". While only slightly annoying, that the feature was missing, Porsche did step up and credit us with the entire $2635 cost of the 18 way seats.
Old 01-19-2015, 03:19 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by 1pvr
If I turn off the audio by pressing the volume/on/off button on the BMW, then at next start up the audio remains off (or on, if I left the audio on upon turning off the car).

In any recent Porsche, if I turn the audio off by pressing the volume/on/off button, then at next start up it defaults to audio on. I've defeated the annoyance somewhat by keeping the volume down to a bare whisper when I turn off the car, so it turns on barely audible at startup. I don't have an MP3 player, so I don't use/leave it in the Aux setting.

Anyway, enough griping about the audio. It is what it is in Porsches right now, until a software fix occurs.
Fair enough Paul, and I don't want to belabor this either. Strictly speaking pressing the volume button in the Porsche is a mute feature not an off feature. That said, there's no reason why they couldn't change the software to carry the muting over to the next time you started the car, and that would be a good upgrade.
Old 01-19-2015, 05:03 PM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 413 Likes on 230 Posts

Fair enough Paul, and I don't want to belabor this either. Strictly speaking pressing the volume button in the Porsche is a mute feature not an off feature. That said, there's no reason why they couldn't change the software to carry the muting over to the next time you started the car, and that would be a good upgrade.
Maybe pressing and holding the button for a period of time would turn it off instead of just muting?
Old 01-19-2015, 05:21 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by mwar99
Maybe pressing and holding the button for a period of time would turn it off instead of just muting?
If you do that, it turns off PCM completely.
Old 01-19-2015, 06:20 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,648 Likes on 765 Posts

Fixed bridge calipers are a PITA
Old 01-19-2015, 06:45 PM
1pvr
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually Mike you are right in that it's just a mute switch for both makers.
Old 01-20-2015, 12:06 AM
GT176
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love washing my cars after a nice drive. I must say the GT3 gets dirtiest the quickest and is the most painful to wash out of the 4 cars I own. What I mean by painful is I keep jamming my fingers when washing the back end and it F'n stings. There are so many nooks and curves and when you hit one those when you don't expect it, it feels like you just broke a finger. Washing your car in 40 degree weather doesn't help either.
Old 01-20-2015, 12:11 AM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GT176
I love washing my cars after a nice drive. I must say the GT3 gets dirtiest the quickest and is the most painful to wash out of the 4 cars I own. What I mean by painful is I keep jamming my fingers when washing the back end and it F'n stings. There are so many nooks and curves and when you hit one those when you don't expect it, it feels like you just broke a finger. Washing your car in 40 degree weather doesn't help either.

...but all for a very good reason.
Old 01-20-2015, 09:02 AM
mlpor
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Subjective, but it seems like after getting a few "break in" miles on the odometer (@1k+), after the 1st light (@40-50 track miles) track day break in, the exhaust has gotten substantially louder - makes me wonder if there's some sort of "packing in" or other change harder use, higher exhaust temperatures bring about in the exhaust system.

Also, the car asked to have its oil level topped off (the oil level mark dropped to the bottom rung/triangular "funnel" area on the electronic oil level gauge.) As I understand the Owner's Manual, each "ring" on that gauge is supposed to represent @ 200ml (". . . the difference between the minimum & maximum marks on the segment display is @ 0.85 quarts/0.80 liters . . ." or 800ml/4= 200ml per segment) After more or less carefully putting in 1/2 a bottle, i.e. 400ml, and no reading available for @15+ miles, I finally get a display reading showing the oil level has now "jumped" to 4/4ths. Damn, with 400-500ml pour I was shooting for the 3/4 segment.

In any event, I guess this is a long way of niggling, "It seems to take a long time for a new oil level to register and display."

At least I haven't seen the "Oil Level above maximum, Possible to drive on" message the Owner's Manual refers to.
Old 01-20-2015, 09:05 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,224 Likes on 603 Posts

Originally Posted by mlpor
Subjective, but it seems like after getting a few "break in" miles on the odometer (@1k+), after the 1st light (@40-50 track miles) track day break in, the exhaust has gotten substantially louder - makes me wonder if there's some sort of "packing in" or other change harder use, higher exhaust temperatures bring about in the exhaust system.

Also, the car asked to have its oil level topped off (the oil level mark dropped to the bottom rung/triangular "funnel" area on the electronic oil level gauge.) As I understand the Owner's Manual, each "ring" on that gauge is supposed to represent @ 200ml (". . . the difference between the minimum & maximum marks on the segment display is @ 0.85 quarts/0.80 liters . . ." or 800ml/4= 200ml per segment) After more or less carefully putting in 1/2 a bottle, i.e. 400ml, and no reading available for @15+ miles, I finally get a display reading showing the oil level has now "jumped" to 4/4ths. Damn, with 400-500ml pour I was shooting for the 3/4 segment.

In any event, I guess this is a long way of niggling, "It seems to take a long time for a new oil level to register and display."

At least I haven't seen the "Oil Level above maximum, Possible to drive on" message the Owner's Manual refers to.
It's 500ml from min to max. There is an updated page in the manual supplement and a sticker near the fill hole. I got those updates when the engine was replaced.

Quick Reply: What little niggles about the GT3 that make you go, "hmmm?"