Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A color that just doesn't do it for me

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 04:25 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Color trends & the persistence of 'Lime Gold Metallic' in the 991/981 color chart!

Originally Posted by Fracture
anybody have good info on how Porsche determines their color selections year by year? I know the Macademia is newer (like) and trending, LGM just doesn't seem optimal for a GT3
'Macadamia' (Porsche color code M8W), a metallic brown hue, was introduced in MY2008 and is no longer offered by Porsche...except via PTS. But we have two metallic browns currently offered - 'Anthracite Brown' and 'Mahogany' which indeed indicate a favorable trend for 'browns' in recent years!

'Lime Gold Metallic' is about to be retired, hopefully at the end of MY2015. It's there on the color chart to let you all know that Germans beat to a different drummer when it comes to automotive exterior color taste. It's truly the least popular color on the palette since the introduction of the 991's in late 2011 or the 981 in 2012. But unfortunately, in the planning stages for the interiors, 'Lime Gold' was deemed worthy of a coordinated color leather option in the 981 line, plus it's own deviating stitching color for both 991 & 981 interiors.

That created contract obligations with supplier/vendors and resulted in a longevity for 'Lime Gold' that has lasted (incredibly) for four, long model years! In the meantime, other colors that didn't have their own coordinated leathers or deviating stitching contracts have come & gone since the 991 was introduced in the fall of 2011. It includes 'Cognac Metallic', 'Ruby Red Metallic', 'Amaranth Red Metallic', 'Carrara White', 'Basalt Black Metallic', 'Platinum Silver' and 'Aqua Blue Metallic'. Yet we are still stuck with 'Lime Gold Metallic', even with its dismal take (order) record!

How do Porsche chooses its colors? That is the realm of color fashionistas that are hired by PAG after analyzing color trends (fashion) in the automotive industry. In some cases, as with the .1 997 gt3 RS in MY2007/08, the fashionistas decided to pay homage to the original 1973 911 RS and formulated two colors ('RS Orange' & 'RS Green') that evoke the Psychedelic era! But mostly, color fashionistas stick to current trends. For an interesting analysis of color trends in the industry in the past year, see the Axalta (formerly DuPont*) 'Color Popularity Report for 2014':

http://www.axaltacs.com/content/dam/...eport-2014.pdf

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

*DuPont has been the official supplier of automotive paint to PAG in recent years. In February 2013, DuPont Performance Coatings was sold to the Carlyle Group and rebranded as Axalta Coating Systems. I assume PAG is still a client, but I need to double-check.

Old 01-15-2015, 09:28 AM
Strimdog
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Well, congratulations!!! You found the one color that this car does not look good in
It looks better in a photo than in person. What's that say? To each is own though!
Old 01-16-2015, 12:52 AM
neuroguru
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Does t look mostly brown or mostly purple to you now that you see it in real life?
I don't have one - just love the color. Mine is black. I have Mahogany Envy. But colours don't matter much for me as my GT3s get vinyl-wrapped.

I wish I had a Mahogany one with gold rims ... that would be pimp. Superfly!
Old 01-16-2015, 09:23 AM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

May be they were installing park assist post production?

Must have really liked the color to get it sprayed that color! Going to have a helluva time selling it on after they done with it. Wouldn't be surprised if that color is off the palette for 2016 do to low demand.
Old 01-16-2015, 11:11 AM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 289 Likes on 159 Posts

With matching lime interior it would be nearly sale proof.
Old 01-16-2015, 11:21 AM
Fracture
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 179 Posts

thanks so much Eduardo!

very informatitive
Old 01-16-2015, 05:20 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Fracture
thanks so much Eduardo!

very informatitive
You welcome, fracture!

To show just how in love some Germans at PAG Zuffenhausen are with 'Lime Gold Metallic', you should know that 'Porsche Exclusive' recently issued a limited edition 991 Turbo featuring a 'Lime Gold Metallic' exterior and with coordinated 'Lime Gold Metallic' leather seat inlays and deviating stitching:

http://luxurylaunches.com/transport/...-911-turbo.php

Fashion cognoscenti at Porsche just think this color combination is the 'cat's meow' and are probably quite surprised that the rest of us have not been as impressed with this color selection in the current palette. Just to repeat, 'Lime Gold Metallic' is almost impossible to sell here in the US...and it's going to be retired soon!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Old 01-16-2015, 07:38 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 211 Posts

Most Porsche people are conservative and worry about resale. That color doesn't jive with those people.

I wouldn't have chosen it, but when I saw it in person there it looked better than photos in my opinion. Very subjective. Not an approval of the masses color.

I'd take it over white any day (not CWM though)
Old 01-16-2015, 07:39 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

delete - duplicate post
Old 01-16-2015, 08:52 PM
LAGinz
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't see much lime in it. Pretty much looks plain old gold to me. I am an old guy though and might be color blind. My mom did like gold cars however, .....but she was even older than me
Old 01-16-2015, 10:25 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by LAGinz
I don't see much lime in it. Pretty much looks plain old gold to me. I am an old guy though and might be color blind. My mom did like gold cars however, .....but she was even older than me
I hope your mother was a little older than you, Ginz...by at least 16 years or so!

Interestingly, my mother also loved the 'gold' automotive paints which were kind of popular in the mid-1950's on American cars! But she was 40 years older than me!
She had a 1956 Chrysler New Yorker Newport (similar to the attached photos) but in a two-tone 'Gold & White' - a car which I remember fondly to this day!

But the 'Gold' in her car looked like the one on the '55 New Yorker version shown below...which is eerily similar to 'Lime Gold Metallic' offered today by Porsche!

Innovative as always, Chrysler even had an early version of PDK fitted into this vehicle too!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Old 01-16-2015, 10:37 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Come on guys, someone is excited to get this car. The lime gold is very nice in person and congrats to the owner.
Old 01-17-2015, 01:28 AM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
Come on guys, someone is excited to get this car. The lime gold is very nice in person and congrats to the owner.
Agree. Well said.
Old 01-17-2015, 09:27 AM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The above pic that Eduardo posted of the LGM Turbo is actually not too bad. I guess to really appreciate it, you must see it live. I think that goes with many of the colours, must see them in person.

Quick Reply: A color that just doesn't do it for me