Sponsored by:

sport bucket seat

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 02:07 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Joe, no I haven't. But I had Euro GT3 buckets fixed buckets in my 996 and GT2 folding buckets in my 997 so I'm pretty familiar with the concept. It's true I'm making an assumption, but unless the new LWB are a LOT different, the lack of adjustability in the buckets makes them inferior, for me, in one area and that area is long range comfort. Sitting in the exact same position for extended periods is almost painful (again, for me) and the ability to change seat back rake, cushion tilt, lumbar, and extend thigh bolsters is a big plus. I'm not putting down the LWB and they are definitely worth getting. I'm just saying they aren't superior in every area. IMO.
I'm not saying your wrong. In most cases you are right. Some people find the bucket seats to be totally comfortable for long distances and others don't.

You'll have to try out the new ones sometime.
Old 01-21-2015, 02:14 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
I'm not saying your wrong. In most cases you are right. Some people find the bucket seats to be totally comfortable for long distances and others don't.

You'll have to try out the new ones sometime.
The only case I'm willing to speak to is my own, so I'm comfortable feeling right about that.

I have my service advisor checking out price on the buckets as I have an option to buy them at cost. Depending on what I find out, they could still end up in my car although the 18 way seats have proved better than I expected which will make the decision harder if the price to retrofit is high.
Old 01-21-2015, 08:59 AM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

My plan is to ultimately get a set of buckets and swap them in for track days.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:51 AM
REP7777
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a White GT3 with Lift, PCCB and Lightweight Bucket Seats available at MSRP.
Eastcoast dealer. In stock. $165K. Please email me if you have interest.
ralph@insidecarconnection.com
Old 01-23-2015, 10:12 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
The only case I'm willing to speak to is my own, so I'm comfortable feeling right about that.

I have my service advisor checking out price on the buckets as I have an option to buy them at cost. Depending on what I find out, they could still end up in my car although the 18 way seats have proved better than I expected which will make the decision harder if the price to retrofit is high.
Mike did your SA give you an idea of cost? tks
Old 01-23-2015, 11:56 AM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 725 Likes on 397 Posts

For me, the new lightweight bucket (918) seats are the most comfortable Porsche makes. Up until now, I would have said the most comfortable were the sport bucket (GT2) seats. The 18-way sport seats are also very nice. I do not like the standard 14-way seat.

The 918 seats are slightly wider than the GT2 seats. Once you've owned them for a short time, you figure out how to easily get in and out without dragging your backside across the seat. It's really not that hard.

If I had the sofa seats in mine and wanted to swap something for track days, I would just get an aftermarket seat specifically designed for such duty. While the 918 and GT2 seats are a good compromise for street/track duty, they are not the best choice for track-only. Plus, the cost is exponentially different - my parts guy said a 918 seat is about $16k - EACH! And we all know what the GT2 and CGT (probably the most similar to the 918 seat) seats cost.
Old 01-23-2015, 03:55 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by RayDBonz
If I had the sofa seats in mine and wanted to swap something for track days, I would just get an aftermarket seat specifically designed for such duty.
Yes, this is my plan. Sparcos most likely
Old 01-23-2015, 08:22 PM
991GT3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sat in the LWB's of 918 Spyder today and afterwards I switched directly in the 'standard' seats of my 991 GT3 to compare.
Comparison was easy. 'Standard' seats are comfortable but if I had to choose again for the GT3 i would have gone LWB's. Not totally sure if I would give this advice to everybody, if the seats suit your posture depends on your body. Personally I am around 1.85m and have a quite athletic body type. I was positively surprised by these seats with the comfort they gave me. To compare them to the previous 'Sport Bucket seats', which are not available in the US Believe, they are much better to my body type. I tried the Sport Buckets when I've specced my 991 GT3 in 2013, but they weren't good for me. Too tight. Couldn't move in them.

I think the LWB are a very good new option for the 991 GT3 models. If I had to spec my car again I woud go for them! They look amazing!
Old 01-23-2015, 09:14 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RayDBonz
While the 918 and GT2 seats are a good compromise for street/track duty, they are not the best choice for track-only. Plus, the cost is exponentially different - my parts guy said a 918 seat is about $16k - EACH! And we all know what the GT2 and CGT (probably the most similar to the 918 seat) seats cost.
16k? Gulp, really? Is that the 918 seat or the GT3 LWB seat?

Ryan
Old 01-23-2015, 09:20 PM
Bokke
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by rockitman
I just sat in my car with LWB's....car to be delivered Friday. I am 6'7" 250lbs with a 40" waist. Hallelujah they are comfortable and fit like a glove. Thank you Porsche for making seats for the bigger guy....
+1

At 6'5" and 255lbs I would agree, now getting in and out is taking getting some used to. I also worry about how the left side of the driver seat is going to wear.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:30 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Finally have my car with LWB and can't stress how great these seats are....It was a big risk for me ordering my car not having tested them in anything other than a 918. The angle of backs are perfect for me and the height adjustment combined with the tilt/telescope steering gives enough adjustment for most. As was stated by others, after a few days I had the entry and exit perfected. They were comfortable after an hour drive the other night and again I couldn't be happier. For those waiting for your GT3 LWB deliveries it will be worth the wait.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:37 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Great news on the LWB's. I'm still waiting patiently.
Old 01-23-2015, 10:38 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,046 Likes on 538 Posts

Yes, this is my plan. Sparcos most likely
+1
Old 01-23-2015, 10:48 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

the buckets are super duper comfortable... more so than I expected. They are an absolute pain to get in and out of. But once you are sitting in them, very comfortable. Road trips, not problem. I am 5'11 220lbs+

And aesthetically, they are a work of art. Look very exotic/high end, and people notice them from outside of the car. So glad I got them.
Old 01-24-2015, 12:55 AM
Laguna_Dude
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 33 Posts

I feel Porsche made them slightly wider and a little deeper vs. the GT2 seats of the 997.2... maybe to fit taller and wider people? I like them and they should work well for track duty (better vs. standard seats). Kind of a PITA for daily driving though. I would never consider a GT3 without them.

Quick Reply: sport bucket seat