Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SW bypass - the video that put me over the edge

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2015 | 11:12 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by oc997
To me it sounds slightly more aggressive than stock which can work with most people here but for me I wanted it to sound a bit more like a race car
this will do it: http://www.akrapovic.com/#!/car/prod...60&yearId=3864
Old 01-05-2015 | 12:17 AM
mainly
Racer

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
If you haven't seen it, and you are on the fence, make sure you watch the last 1/3 or so, for really good coverage of the sound.
the last third is what sold you? seemed like mostly low rpm rolling.

i dont think the SW bypass changes the sound much really. it just makes it louder, according to guys that have it done.

so if all you want it louder, than i guess its a no brainer, SW will be good.

i want it louder, but it would also be nice if the reving had more high pitch whine to it.

the sound seems to drop off to my ears in the higher rev's. whether stock or with the SW. maybe it has something to do with it not letting you rev above 4000 rpm...

if it they made an exhaust that made it sound like (or fairly close) this id be in for sure....

about 15 seconds in. dont use headphones ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeP6...8zwm664BA#t=11
Old 01-05-2015 | 12:22 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mainly

i dont think the SW bypass changes the sound much really. it just makes it louder, according to guys that have it done.

i want it louder, but it would also be nice if the reving had more high pitch whine to it.

the sound seems to drop off to my ears in the higher rev's. whether stock or with the SW. maybe it has something to do with it not letting you rev above 4000 rpm...

if it they made an exhaust that made it sound like (or fairly close) this id be in for sure....

As do I.

I'm holding out hope for the upcoming Akra Evo system.
Old 01-05-2015 | 12:41 AM
kencollinsjr
Rennlist Member

Nizer: any idea on pricing or sound quality / audio clips of the Akrapovic? I know Akrapovic is great, but not sure what to expect from this 3rd muffler replacement. Different approach from SW bypass for sure, but I LOVE the quality and sound character of other Akrapovic products.

http://www.akrapovic.com/#!/car/prod...60&yearId=3864
Old 01-05-2015 | 12:42 AM
kosmo
Race Director

I like his plate "X51 C2S"
Old 01-05-2015 | 12:46 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kencollinsjr
Nizer: any idea on pricing or sound quality / audio clips of the Akrapovic? I know Akrapovic is great, but not sure what to expect from this 3rd muffler replacement. Different approach from SW bypass for sure, but I LOVE the quality and sound character of other Akrapovic products.

I believe it's around 5-6k.
Old 01-05-2015 | 06:19 AM
Stephen Ayers
Rennlist Member

Stock doesn't pass at full throttle on the uphill. I was clocked at 98dB. Keeping until 6k "fixes" the problem but doesn't help lap times :-/
Old 01-05-2015 | 09:00 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kencollinsjr

Ipse is on target. The 997 system was around $6k depending on where you bought it. Note the system I posted runs the same setup as Cup car: you lose the side heavy mufflers and run just the headers (stock) and cats (stock) along with center muffler.

M&M will likely offer a similar system but it will be stainless steel vs titanium for Akra. The Akra system claims to drop 46lbs. Some like the M&M over Akra due to durability of stainless over Ti and cost savings.

On the RS the sound was slightly quiet than running with sport button engaged due to the better center muffler vs stock. I'd expect similar for 991.
Old 01-05-2015 | 09:16 AM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

The 458 is such a sweet sounding machine. Don't know anything out in the market place will make a GT3 sound like that? Notice how docile the R8 was compared to the 458 at the 1:13 min mark. Thanks for sharing mainly.
Old 01-05-2015 | 09:37 AM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

I just want it a little louder. So it is a no brainer.
I also don't want to make changes that potentially void warranty, mess with sensors, buttons for flaps, installing new buttons, technology, potential power loss, etc... I get that the other aftermarket systems add complexity to the sound, but they also add a lot of other complexity. I think that for $1200 this is a no-brainer for someone that wants just a bit more audio of what Porsche already did.

I love Ferrari and Maserati sounds... very different engines and exhaust systems... no way a Porsche is going to sound like those...
Old 01-05-2015 | 09:55 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
I just want it a little louder. So it is a no brainer.
I also don't want to make changes that potentially void warranty, mess with sensors, buttons for flaps, installing new buttons, technology, potential power loss, etc... I get that the other aftermarket systems add complexity to the sound, but they also add a lot of other complexity. I think that for $1200 this is a no-brainer for someone that wants just a bit more audio of what Porsche already did.

I love Ferrari and Maserati sounds... very different engines and exhaust systems... no way a Porsche is going to sound like those...
Honestly, I think you will be quit satisfied with the sound. Prior to installation I picked up my car and heard it minus SW. By the way it sounded awesome, and my buddy said don't add it it sounds good. After the install it was amazing .......it enhances the current sound in my opinion. It's a simple modification the 3rd muffler by-pass. Dealer did they install, and the work is covered by the Porsche warrantee so no performance issues are " at risk".
Old 01-05-2015 | 10:06 AM
911dev
Drifting

Originally Posted by Maverick787
Honestly, I think you will be quit satisfied with the sound. Prior to installation I picked up my car and heard it minus SW. By the way it sounded awesome, and my buddy said don't add it it sounds good. After the install it was amazing .......it enhances the current sound in my opinion. It's a simple modification the 3rd muffler by-pass. Dealer did they install, and the work is covered by the Porsche warrantee so no performance issues are " at risk".
On rare occasions, Porsche has been known to demand the center unit returned to stock before they will perform any repairs. I am all for the product and have a lot of faith in the Sharkwerks. Just repeating what has been posted here and elsewhere. I would imagine the only time this would become an issue is in the unlikely event the dealer says no or if a Porsche rep needs to come in for some reason.

Apparently with the 991, the swap is much easier. The rear fascia does not need to be removed either, so changing back should not be a big deal.

Nothing not to like about Akrapovic or M&M other than the price. The Akra I heard didn't sound very loud but was nice and throaty. I need to look more into the M&M. I have not really spent anytime researching them. From what Nizer posted, I think that option sounds great for me. Cat back should not cause any more concerns than the Sharky.

Last edited by 911dev; 01-05-2015 at 10:23 AM.
Old 01-05-2015 | 10:46 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by CodeRed
Problem in Cali, is that it rules out LS track days
Originally Posted by Hoopumpers
Stock exhaust may not even pass
Stock exhaust WILL not pass at Laguna. It measures 99dB bone stock at Laguna
Old 01-05-2015 | 10:46 AM
kencollinsjr
Rennlist Member

Nizer / Mr. Sullivan: thanks for the clarification. I didn't realize that Akra system replaced the 3-muffler system w/ a single center muffler. I'm out and sticking with SW bypass. I don't want to mess with not having PSE functionality or taking it too far away from stock. Sharkwerks here I come!
Old 01-05-2015 | 10:47 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Stephen Ayers
Stock doesn't pass at full throttle on the uphill. I was clocked at 98dB. Keeping until 6k "fixes" the problem but doesn't help lap times :-/
Was that you at Laguna on 12/28? Mike was measured at 99dB that day as well.

Quick Reply: SW bypass - the video that put me over the edge