Sponsored by:

Another bad thermostat?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2020, 08:30 PM
yojimbo007
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 28 Posts

Update:
Its now 1 day short of 3 weeks my car is at Porsche AGAIN!.
After i brought it to their attention that at this point this car falls in Lemon Law territory and that i plan to file a claim (and i did last week) ......today, after 3 weeks of having my car in their possession, they tell me that the previous dealer ( Rusnak) had installed the replacement for the previously failed thermostat upside down.. thats why it failed again. Mind u after 6k ish miles of driving while it was installed upside down??? Can these things even function if they are upside down let alone run for a few K miles with no warning??? ... And it took them 3 weeks to find out it was upside down... ????? i would think it would take 1 day, upon 1st inspection...!!! This is crazy......
I tell them what about the other times it failed..(.3rd Thermostat failing in one year)....what about all these other cases and cars... are all these thermostat being installed upside down... and yet the cars have no problem running for a while before they fail again....?!?!?!
Porsche is trying to pin this on the previous dealer Rusnak ( a Porsche Certified Dealer with Porsche certified mechanics and shop) rather than take responsibility for a recurring problem!..... they are trying to wash their hand off of it and blame it on their own certified representative/entity. Ludicrous!
This is BS... They are kciking the can down the road and passing the buck ..at my cost...... im Pissed. ....
I have already opened a lemon law case with Porsche customer relations ..... But it seems they are taking their sweet time too.. making promises of callbacks and nothing.

And Today ..again the mind boggling pièce de résistance .... after 3 weeks of them having my car AND within days after i filed my claim, they tell me the thermostat was installed upside down by the previous dealer ( Rusnak)...... blame them, not Porsche.. despite the recurring nature of this problem.....
I dont know if i should laugh or cry... Just too Much...

Last edited by yojimbo007; 06-09-2020 at 10:24 PM.
Old 06-09-2020, 08:39 PM
wtforce
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your dealer might be still using an old style thermostat when they replaced it.

Mine hasn’t failed yet after they used a brand new one
Old 06-09-2020, 08:54 PM
yojimbo007
Instructor

Originally Posted by wtforce

Thanks Wtforce ........Been there done that.. the thermostat that failed was supposed to be the new improved one!!.. see few posts above .. i detailed my case in a few posts there .. including the worksheet...
Old 06-09-2020, 08:57 PM
wtforce
Intermediate

Originally Posted by yojimbo007
Thanks Wtforce ........Been there done that.. the thermostat that failed was supposed to be the new improved one!!.. see few posts above .. i detailed my case in a few posts there .. including the worksheet...
yeah that’s what they told me the first time too. The PN wasn’t different between the two thermostats either. My engine was also a brand new one.

While it is a newer part it could have been older stock that has been sitting there is what we figured
Old 06-09-2020, 09:01 PM
yojimbo007
Instructor

WFforce.. if you dont mind me asking.. how many thermostats have you had fail and in how many miles..?I already have aprox 13500 miles on my car in one year and 3 thermostats...
Old 06-09-2020, 09:04 PM
wtforce
Intermediate

WFforce.. if you dont mind me asking.. how many thermostats have you had fail and in how many miles..?I already have aprox 13500 miles on my car in one year.
So I got the car with 25k-ish miles on it and it had the brand new engine for about 6-700 miles before that. So whatever thermostats that was a part of the new engine failed then it got a “new” one that failed less than 50 miles later. They just assumed it was just old stock and stuck another one in there. I’m at 27k miles now
Old 06-09-2020, 09:09 PM
yojimbo007
Instructor

yeah that’s what they told me the first time too. The PN wasn’t different between the two thermostats either. My engine was also a brand new one.

While it is a newer part it could have been older stock that has been sitting there is what we figured

What really pushes it over the line this time and makes me feel something stinks is their claim AFTER 3 WEEKs of having my car in their possession that the pervious replacement was installed UP SIDE DOWN... ... ...just Ludicrous.
Old 06-09-2020, 09:13 PM
yojimbo007
Instructor

So I got the car with 25k-ish miles on it and it had the brand new engine for about 6-700 miles before that. So whatever thermostats that was a part of the new engine failed then it got a “new” one that failed less than 50 miles later. They just assumed it was just old stock and stuck another one in there. I’m at 27k miles now
So you have only driven the car for 2k miles after replacement.....?
My 13500 miles is all my driving and 3 failures .. its 2019 991.2 GT3 RS i bought brand new last year.
Old 06-09-2020, 10:02 PM
wtforce
Intermediate

So you have only driven the car for 2k miles after replacement.....?
My 13500 miles is all my driving and 3 failures .. its 2019 991.2 GT3 RS i bought brand new last year.
The engine was replaced while it was with the previous owner but yeah only 2k miles
I had a loaner most of the time so I didn’t really mind and it was all covered under warranty.
Old 06-09-2020, 11:19 PM
yojimbo007
Instructor

The engine was replaced while it was with the previous owner but yeah only 2k miles
I had a loaner most of the time so I didn’t really mind and it was all covered under warranty.
I understand Wtforce.....If i drove the car about 2-3k miles a year....i dont believe i would have been as irritated or have considered it as big of an issue.. ... but i drive my car a LOT as you can see from my milage...... and in one year it has spent 6 weeks+ at the dealer for this one recurring problem alone....that is unreasonable... (add on top service, tire change, and other issues that needed to be taken car of... id say my car has been at their shop for over 7-8 weeks in one year....)
Then i hear their last ludicrouse upside down installation bs and trying to pass blame to one of their own certified dealers🤦🏼‍♂️( and that is just for this last failure.. what about the other times?).... and that pushes it way over the acceptable/reasonable line! It really becomes an issue .. a very irritating issue for a brand new car i paid over $280k for just a year ago!

( I will say again...IMO, per my assessment, Porsche is well aware of this issue.. but they are banking on most drivers of (GT3 or RS ) not driving their cars a lot, and therefore not encountering the issue and the down times as much as i have.....Yet Porsche, when encountered with my case refuses to take responsibility and resorts to these games.. thats just not right in my book...neither in the lemon law book)

Last edited by yojimbo007; 06-10-2020 at 07:34 AM.
Old 08-13-2020, 05:06 AM
yojimbo007
Instructor

I have to absolutely and unequivocally take my hat off to Porsche for how they resolved my issue !
To me, not only their integrity has been reassured, but they took it to a whole new level now!

👊🤙👊 Porsche!!!
Thanks

Old 08-13-2020, 01:00 PM
Hex
Pro

Received 97 Likes on 55 Posts
Question

I have to absolutely and unequivocally take my hat off to Porsche for how they resolved my issue !
To me, not only their integrity has been reassured, but they took it to a whole new level now!

👊🤙👊 Porsche!!!
Thanks
Is that sarcasm? What happened with the repair?
Old 08-13-2020, 05:02 PM
yojimbo007
Instructor

Originally Posted by Hex
Is that sarcasm? What happened with the repair?
No.... Im not being sarcastic at all.
They bought the car back.... No lawyers involved.
Im blown away by their incredibly cordial and gracious manner of handling it!
They made me even a bigger believer in them!
Waiting for the 992 RS .
Old 08-13-2020, 07:36 PM
Hex
Pro

Received 97 Likes on 55 Posts

Wow. That’s amazing and great to hear. Thanks for letting us know. I’m ready for the 992 GT3 and I hope Porsche shows the car off soon.
Old 08-14-2020, 03:55 AM
yojimbo007
Instructor

Originally Posted by Hex
Wow. That’s amazing and great to hear. Thanks for letting us know. I’m ready for the 992 GT3 and I hope Porsche shows the car off soon.
🤙👍🍷
and Cheers 🥂 to Porsche!
You have made me a bigger believer out of me than ever! ... at least by an order of magnitude!!!
992 RS ... 🙏🙏...when???

Quick Reply: Another bad thermostat?