Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another bad thermostat?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 09:41 PM
BigT
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks, David, I have used Kyle previously, he does great work.
Is cooling problem resolved or still waiting for parts?
Tom
Old 01-09-2015, 12:06 AM
SanDiegoDavid
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by BigT
Thanks, David, I have used Kyle previously, he does great work.
Is cooling problem resolved or still waiting for parts?
Tom
Sweet, yes I'm a big fan of Kyle's work.
Parts will be in next week, expect the car back by the end of next week. While they have the car I decided to have my PCCB calipers painted red. I've got red stitching and red belts and thinking of getting O.Z. wheels for the track, so the yellow calipers were bugging me! I might switch my stripes to red with black outline.
Mean while my loaner is a e-hybrid Panamera. MUCH different driving experience than a GT3.
Old 01-09-2015, 09:09 AM
ATXGT3
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SanDiegoDavid
Sweet, yes I'm a big fan of Kyle's work.
Parts will be in next week, expect the car back by the end of next week. While they have the car I decided to have my PCCB calipers painted red. I've got red stitching and red belts and thinking of getting O.Z. wheels for the track, so the yellow calipers were bugging me! I might switch my stripes to red with black outline.
Mean while my loaner is a e-hybrid Panamera. MUCH different driving experience than a GT3.
Wow interesting painting PCCB to red--certainly makes sense given your interior. I think your new stripe idea would bring a nice pop to the exterior as well.
Old 01-15-2015, 01:23 PM
SanDiegoDavid
Rennlist Member

Update on my thermostat issue. Housing and thermostat replaced, everything working well.

Apparently Porsche has a NEW thermostat that was just released. The part number on the old one ends in a "1" the new one ends in a "2".

Unfortunately my replacement one is the old one (installed the day before Porsche released the new one). Apparently PAG is clearing out their existing inventory of the old/crappy thermostat.

So, if you are having this issue insist on the new and hopefully improved part.
Old 01-15-2015, 04:00 PM
ATXGT3
Banned

Update on my thermostat issue. Housing and thermostat replaced, everything working well.

Apparently Porsche has a NEW thermostat that was just released. The part number on the old one ends in a "1" the new one ends in a "2".

Unfortunately my replacement one is the old one (installed the day before Porsche released the new one). Apparently PAG is clearing out their existing inventory of the old/crappy thermostat.

So, if you are having this issue insist on the new and hopefully improved part.
What was the day they 'released' the new one?

How stupid that PAG is going to put in garbage thermostats that they know will break, just to clear inventory. Toss that crap out.
The following users liked this post:
yojimbo007 (08-11-2019)
Old 01-15-2015, 04:15 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 340 Likes on 209 Posts

Update on my thermostat issue. Housing and thermostat replaced, everything working well. Apparently Porsche has a NEW thermostat that was just released. The part number on the old one ends in a "1" the new one ends in a "2". Unfortunately my replacement one is the old one (installed the day before Porsche released the new one). Apparently PAG is clearing out their existing inventory of the old/crappy thermostat. So, if you are having this issue insist on the new and hopefully improved part.
I'm glad you had it sorted out!

Is there any chance you might have access to the old or new thermostat and post a picture? That would be really helpful to others who are having or have had this issue. I have to say I'm curios myself,as I know the thermostat to be a simple mechanical device and would love to know what could they have improved...

Old 01-15-2015, 04:58 PM
SanDiegoDavid
Rennlist Member

Sorry, no pics of the thermostats, old or new. Just passing on info from my service advisor. He was nice enough to pass on the information about the new/improved (hopefully) part and offered to order it for install. He could have not told me about it and just replaced it with the new one if, or more likely when, this one failed. He gave me the option to get the new thermostat installed now or wait for this one to fail. I opted for the new one now. I'm getting a new set of SC2 tires, so will switch to the new thermostat when my tires come in.
Yesterday was the day the new thermostats became available.
Old 01-15-2015, 05:00 PM
ATXGT3
Banned

Yesterday was the day the new thermostats became available.
Good to know. I wonder when the 'new' ones made their way into new cars off the line-if at all. Guess I'll find out when/if mine fails.
Old 01-17-2015, 09:44 AM
NYC_AREA_GT3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ATXGT3
Good to know. I wonder when the 'new' ones made their way into new cars off the line-if at all. Guess I'll find out when/if mine fails.
Yes I'm curious too. Mine exited production back in early Dec
Old 01-17-2015, 09:57 AM
NYC_AREA_GT3
Instructor

Had the warning light reading fault coolant temp followed by the yellow engine fault warning light come on today. The cooling fan ran continuously, so seemed like another bad thermostat stuck in the "open" position.
I had a bad thermostat on the old engine AND the new engine. If it is the thermostat, this will be number 3. Getting a little old.
Took it in for this, have the brakes looked at and file the warranty claim on the wheel chips.
This is my fifth Porsche, I never had these issues on the others. Is this common for the GT3? Any body have more than one bad thermostat?
According to the post engine warning message from sandiegodavid (apologies if I spelled this incorrectly), his service person told him there's a new / revised thermostat available as of a day or two ago
Old 01-17-2015, 10:00 AM
NYC_AREA_GT3
Instructor

Had the warning light reading fault coolant temp followed by the yellow engine fault warning light come on today. The cooling fan ran continuously, so seemed like another bad thermostat stuck in the "open" position.
I had a bad thermostat on the old engine AND the new engine. If it is the thermostat, this will be number 3. Getting a little old.
Took it in for this, have the brakes looked at and file the warranty claim on the wheel chips.
This is my fifth Porsche, I never had these issues on the others. Is this common for the GT3? Any body have more than one bad thermostat?
Haha omg I need a new thermostat, sorry wrong post, it's early!
Old 08-09-2019, 05:56 PM
yojimbo007
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 28 Posts

Well it is 2019 now.. and im experiencing the same issue on my 2019 991.2 RS.

My car blew its 1st thermostat at about 5500 miles.. Porsche replaced it... and now at 6200 miles the thermostat is gone again...and car is going to be in the shop for a week..just like it was the first time.
Its a bummer... and needless to say a bit of a red flag.

Anyone experiencing the same issue with 991.2 RS.
Do u know if this is a prevalent issue that Porsche just pushes under the rug rather than offer a true fix for it...... And not just swap a bad part with another bad part?
One would think that in four years and a version update 991.1 to 991.2 the issue would have been resolved?.. ....maybe it is and im having bad luck.. but i have my big doubts.

If u can share any insight on this issue i would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

Last edited by yojimbo007; 08-11-2019 at 05:35 AM.
Old 08-09-2019, 11:13 PM
chance6
Race Car

Received 1,482 Likes on 952 Posts

This might be a supplier quality issue? My .2 GT3 runs a bit cooler on coolant temp than any of my 911s...runs usually between 183 F - 189 F...interesting.
Old 08-10-2019, 12:55 AM
SanDiegoDavid
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by yojimbo007
Well it is 2019 now.. and im experiencing the same issue on my 2019 991.2 RS.

My car blew its 1st thermostat at about 5500 miles.. Porsche replaced it... and now at 6200k miles the thermostat is gone again...and car is going to be in the shop for a week..just like it was the first time.
Its a bummer... and needless to say a bit of a red flag.

Anyone experiencing the same issue with 991.2 RS.
Do u know if this is a prevalent issue that Porsche just pushes under the rug rather than offer a true fix for it...... And not just swap a bad part with another bad part?
One would think that in four years and a version update 991.1 to 991.2 the issue would have been resolved?.. ....maybe it is and im having bad luck.. but i have my big doubts.

If u can share any insight on this issue i would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks
I haven't had any thermostat issues on either of my .2s. Sorry to hear, a real PITA.
Old 08-10-2019, 09:22 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,401 Likes on 726 Posts

First I am hearing the .2s are having this issue. You may just have bad luck but would be interested to hear if other .2s having this issue

Quick Reply: Another bad thermostat?