Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

California Duster

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2014 | 07:20 PM
wwlee
Instructor

Originally Posted by Money2536
I think using it or not depends on where you live. Living in sandy areas like FL or AZ, you probably shouldn't use it. Personally, I say no to a duster.

If that guy with the black Corvette is wiping his car down with a duster and Speed Shine with nothing on the clear coat, I guarantee you I'd find a boatload of scratches.
Not arguing with you, Money2536, as you obviously have much more experience than me in this field...just reporting back what this guy says he does (and I've seen him do parts of his routine)...his car is immaculate, at least to my untrained eyes. He's won a bunch of local car show contests which I assume are geared towards domestic cars. He says he just very lightly dusts his car, then uses speed shine and/or spray on wash, and wipes. He claims to never use traditional wax (he doesn't like how that stuff builds up), but when needed, uses a product called Plum Crazy (non-abrasive hand polish) to remove minor swirls & add gloss, and sometimes Griots Spray on Wax (which I understand is only meant as a supplement to a real wax product). He also doesn't use microfiber towels, but Scott Rags in a Box (one time use - http://www.homedepot.com/p/Scott-200...202767257)...I see him wiping his car with those things all the time (not on dry surface of course). He cleans his car after each use, so there's never heavy buildup or dirt. This is not in a dusty area - NYC metro.

I see what this guy does firsthand...and even though it appears effective, I still personally do full washes, use clay/carnauba paste wax every few months, and only use microfiber towels (can't bring myself to use any scott towel products, especially given how painful their toilet tissues are). Tried out Plum Crazy on my former 997 on certain swirl spots when I first got it, and it worked pretty well despite its difficulty to get off. I tried out the duster on my 997 in-between my weekly washes and had no issues (silver car, so perhaps harder to detect), but got a bit nervous after the red fibers started to darken and abandoned it for the sake of being conservative.
Old 12-27-2014 | 08:22 PM
STG
Race Director

Do not touch the paint with anything dry.

I try to never touch the paint outside of washes unless birds or bugs hit it.

If lightly dusted, you can spray a quick detailer with a microfiber with a proper wiping technique.

Different people have varying levels of what passes as acceptable.
Old 12-28-2014 | 10:47 PM
Backroads
Advanced

As long as this has been brought up, does anyone use the silicone squeegee that comes with the duster?
Old 12-28-2014 | 10:55 PM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by Backroads
As long as this has been brought up, does anyone use the silicone squeegee that comes with the duster?
Yes. For my shower walls. Works great.

Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist

Quick Reply: California Duster