Sponsored by:

California Duster

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 09:35 AM
odwa
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts
Default California Duster

Anyone using them to remove dust after a drive and between washes?
Old 12-27-2014, 10:05 AM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Will leave small swirls and scratches if you get anything trapped in the fibers. Also not compatible with synthetic polishes because the tips are dipped Ina bit of wax. Works best if your car has carnauba on it and you keep it fairly clean all the time.
Old 12-27-2014, 10:14 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 174 Posts

Yes, works fine, cleans dust off and if part of a daily routine is harmless. Seen at car shows everywhere, I've used one for years with no ill effects and never has it caused scratches, but you must use it very lightly and shake any dust off you can. Common sense don't use it to clean a really dirty car- but great for keeping a dark car looking great, my routine is to use it then touch up with detail spray.
Old 12-27-2014, 10:27 AM
odwa
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by montoya
Yes, works fine, cleans dust off and if part of a daily routine is harmless. Seen at car shows everywhere, I've used one for years with no ill effects and never has it caused scratches, but you must use it very lightly and shake any dust off you can. Common sense don't use it to clean a really dirty car- but great for keeping a dark car looking great, my routine is to use it then touch up with detail spray.
Pretty much what I have done over the years as well. My car being white and throwing more brake dust that typical cars I've owned, just wanted to get other owners views.
Old 12-27-2014, 10:31 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,099 Likes on 1,011 Posts

Originally Posted by odwa
Pretty much what I have done over the years as well. My car being white and throwing more brake dust that typical cars I've owned, just wanted to get other owners views.
Love it ........use after each drive, and it keeps my cars spotless. I only use carnuba wax and polish. I'm a freak my cars get waxed weekly. Also once I dust it a quick 5 minute spray wax; been doing this for 20 years no issues and paint looks new for years.
Old 12-27-2014, 10:34 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,413 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Car must be cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist
Old 12-27-2014, 10:44 AM
RFGGT3
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Griot's has a microfiber duster with a foam rubber grip that works great.
Old 12-27-2014, 11:03 AM
wwlee
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

My former garage neighbor has a black C6 corvette that is spotless with no scratches, swirls, chips. He says he doesn't speed in it, and I believe him.

He doesn't take the car out for a wash. He just uses a California duster after each drive, lightly dusts it off, then applies Griots speed shine (or maybe spray on wash if really dirty) and wipes down. Claims the car doesn't have wax on it either as he hates silicates.

I picked up a small and large version of the duster, but personally find it more fun to do a full wash.
Old 12-27-2014, 12:15 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,061 Likes on 547 Posts

I've been using the duster for years. I keep two. After one gets dirty I use it for the lower part of the body and use a new one for the rest of the car. As the new one ages and builds up dirt I switch it to bottom duty and get another new one. This is about a yearly cycle of buying one new duster. I dust the car after every drive.
Old 12-27-2014, 12:21 PM
Money2536
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 79 Posts

I think using it or not depends on where you live. Living in sandy areas like FL or AZ, you probably shouldn't use it. Personally, I say no to a duster.

If that guy with the black Corvette is wiping his car down with a duster and Speed Shine with nothing on the clear coat, I guarantee you I'd find a boatload of scratches.
Old 12-27-2014, 12:56 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Money2536
I think using it or not depends on where you live. Living in sandy areas like FL or AZ, you probably shouldn't use it. Personally, I say no to a duster.

If that guy with the black Corvette is wiping his car down with a duster and Speed Shine with nothing on the clear coat, I guarantee you I'd find a boatload of scratches.
+1

I am a recovering detail addict. Anything that puts dust/grit/sand, no matter how small, between the paint and a brush then rubs it, is not a good thing. Car cover is the same. However, if you are keeping the car clean enough, or using multiple dusters, or simply don't car about fine scratches you cant easily see, then it works great. To me, the perfect application for a California duster would be a garaged car, that is waxed using carnuba, and kept relatively clean, using a spray detail product with a fine mist, then the California duster. But then, I am more than a little OCD on this topic

I prefer something like this, which creates static as you twirl it, to lift dust. Vs using fibers that rely on coated wax to do so. You may have seen some of these at major auto shows. There are several companies that sell them in the U.S. also. Just search on car detailing duster natural.

http://www.chemicalguysuk.com/Dust_M..._p/dustmsm.htm
or
http://www.elitecarcare.co.uk/dodo-j...ing-duster.php
Old 12-27-2014, 01:07 PM
Zulu Alpha
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I think using it or not depends on where you live. Living in sandy areas like FL or AZ, you probably shouldn't use it. Personally, I say no to a duster. If that guy with the black Corvette is wiping his car down with a duster and Speed Shine with nothing on the clear coat, I guarantee you I'd find a boatload of scratches.
I trust Money Matt when it comes to this stuff.
Old 12-27-2014, 01:08 PM
nycjwi
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree. i use the maser blaster to get dust off my car!
Old 12-27-2014, 05:17 PM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 444 Likes on 248 Posts

+1

I don't think using anything like a California duster is good for the paint. Might as well wipe down with a dry microfiber towel - should be a similar result. Just my opinion of course, I don't have the cojones to use one on my cars.
Old 12-27-2014, 06:23 PM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

I use it all the time and love it...dirtier it gets better it works....if your car is well waxed it has no impact on the paint

Quick Reply: California Duster