Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does your GT3 smoke everytine you start it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 06:49 PM
Porsche-Suchtig
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Money2536
Mine does every so often. Usually after it has sat for a while.

991 GT3 Start up & Slow Rolling Sharkwerks Bypass - YouTube
The video captures it perfectly. But I apparently have the extra smoke option. Does it virtually every time, no matter what.

I also don't buy the break-in theory.

Whatever it is, it seems to be unimportant. Just another added feature to the GT line of cars. And it sounds like Porsche has been successful in producing even more start-up smoke from 991 GT3s than prior GT3s.
Old 12-23-2014, 08:23 PM
scb997
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm over 9,000 miles. So, what's that? about 450 starts? About 1 in 10 times I see smoke/steam on start-up. When it does, it's a little/lot more than that video. I seem to be on a pace of adding 1/2 quart every 4,500 miles (I just added the second 1/2 quart). So, I'm not burning any appreciable amount of oil.

I used to think it depended on how long it had been since I'd driven it, whether it really got fully warmed up, etc. I don't believe that anymore. My conclusion? It's completely random.

Scott
Old 12-23-2014, 09:14 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Have owned two Porsche boxer engines (Boxster S from new to 40k miles and now a 996 GT3 from 6k to now 10k miles). Both driven purely for joy, mostly weekends, on country roads or track -- almost never in traffic or in cities. Stored winters. Every drive/run rpms kept under 3k until warmed up then taken near redline at least a few times during the drive. Both Boxster and GT3 were broken in by the book.

Never seen smoke, never had to add oil, or had any problems for that matter. (Hope I didn't just jinx myself )

Anecdotal evidence from polling Porsche owners hints that Porsches want to be regularly pushed (their legs stretched) to stay in shape.
Old 12-23-2014, 10:16 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Can't say I've had any experience with a GT3, this one coming will be my first. I've had a Boxster S and a 911 C4S and neither one of them smoked at start up. I bought both new, drove basically as weekend cars and stored for the winters. I guess there's really no rhyme or reason as to why some smoke more than others.
Old 12-24-2014, 02:51 AM
UAEGT3
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3_racer
The video captures it perfectly. But I apparently have the extra smoke option. Does it virtually every time, no matter what.

I also don't buy the break-in theory.

Whatever it is, it seems to be unimportant. Just another added feature to the GT line of cars. And it sounds like Porsche has been successful in producing even more start-up smoke from 991 GT3s than prior GT3s.
I totally agree with you. It has nothing to do with break in or how many miles is on the car. Its totally random. My car might smoke today then nothing for a week then smoke up for the next 3 start ups. Its a known issue "feature" "cool factor" u name it that comes with the flat design of the engine. U could have 50K miles and it would still do it or not.
Old 12-24-2014, 01:22 PM
RCMA991
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Almost every time
Old 12-24-2014, 07:15 PM
Strimdog
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 60 Posts

Mine does it after its been sitting for a few days. I generally drive my car on the weekends with a rare weekday in the mix. First start of the week is a white cloud. After that, rest of weekend is good. Doesn't seem to be an issue. Though my neighbor, who now owns a Z06, saw me start it the other day and came over with a grin on his face asking what that was all about. I smiled and told him I had to pay extra for that feature.
Old 12-24-2014, 07:55 PM
texas_maverick
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Yes, tons for me.
Old 12-24-2014, 09:33 PM
Just in time
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

After smoking like an industrial stack every time I started her my 3 today decided on a no smoke day. Go figure.
Old 12-24-2014, 09:51 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by texas_maverick
Yes, tons for me.

Same for us!
Old 12-25-2014, 09:44 AM
Porsche-Suchtig
Rennlist Member

^LOL.

P.S. Smoky didn't smoke yesterday. Weird.
Old 12-25-2014, 11:40 AM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Received 419 Likes on 139 Posts

I am no tech and the following comment may just be a puff of smoke but here it is anyway.

In my case, smoke on startup or not depends on how the engine was switched off after its last drive. After a drive I let it idle (cool down) for a minute then switch off. The next startup, regardless of how long it's been sitting, is smoke free. It's been the case every time. Maybe someone here can explain the tech reasons for that.

Last edited by Haku; 12-25-2014 at 05:36 PM.
Old 12-25-2014, 12:46 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Haku
I am no tech and the following comment may just be a puff of smoke but here it is anyway.

In m case, smoke on startup or not depends on how the engine was switched off after its last drive. After a drive I let it idle (cool down) for a minute then switch off. The next startup, regardless of how long it's been sitting, is smoke free. It's been the case every time. Maybe someone here can explain the tech reasons for that.

Interesting, maybe more should try this and report back. Thank you Haku
Old 12-25-2014, 12:48 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Haku

In m case, smoke on startup or not depends on how the engine was switched off after its last drive. After a drive I let it idle (cool down) for a minute then switch off. The next startup, regardless of how long it's been sitting, is smoke free. It's been the case every time. Maybe someone here can explain the tech reasons for that.
My .2 3 was like this as well. After any hard runs, I'd do 2-3 miles cool down. I would sometimes include (dependent on oil temp) a raised idle for several minutes in the garage as the manual suggests. I had some smokey starts but there were few. I believe it may be a mix of so many variables, extended times between drives, temp of engine when shut down, even possibly the configuration of the pistons post shut down... Whatever the reason(s), it is normal and not cause for concern.

I believe the oil temp., engine temp., combined (as you indicate above) as the largest reasons and likely due to to expansion when hot and contraction from proper cool down, etc...

My 991 should arrive mid Feb., so I guess I'll find out with this flavor.
Old 12-25-2014, 09:20 PM
Porsche-Suchtig
Rennlist Member

FWIW, mine has decided to stop smoking. I've done nothing different. Let it warm up, drive the **** out of it, let it cool down.

The only difference, as far as I can tell, is that the car now has about 350 miles on the odo. So, perhaps it was a break in thing. Or, perhaps it's just totally random.

Quick Reply: Does your GT3 smoke everytine you start it?