Sponsored by:

non PTS paint problem, roof also

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 11:35 PM
fastmd
Burning Brakes

Received 281 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by alaint101
I went to the dealer today and met with the service manager. We looked at the blemishes with a flashlight. He said he'd not seen this before and hadn't heard about it.

He will arrange a review with the Porsche rep in January. However, he indicated that it looked like it might be below the clear coat, which would mean repainting the car to correct the situation.

I'm not doing that.

He suggested I try polishing one of the spots as I was originally going to do. He said not to overdo it but to see if it seem to help. That will clarify the depth and then we can discuss the matter with the rep in January.

We're no further ahead but they seem to be taking it seriously.
I would wait to polish til after you show it to the rep....
Old 12-19-2014, 11:40 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by fastmd
I would wait to polish til after you show it to the rep....
^^^^^^ +1 don't touch it!
Old 12-21-2014, 01:34 PM
dark knight
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

I went to the dealer today and met with the service manager. We looked at the blemishes with a flashlight. He said he'd not seen this before and hadn't heard about it.

He will arrange a review with the Porsche rep in January. However, he indicated that it looked like it might be below the clear coat, which would mean repainting the car to correct the situation.

I'm not doing that.

He suggested I try polishing one of the spots as I was originally going to do. He said not to overdo it but to see if it seem to help. That will clarify the depth and then we can discuss the matter with the rep in January.

glad they're taking it seriously, I haven't polished mine, I'm afraid heres what they will say if you polish it "you did it not us and/or you made it worse with polishing" or they will say, "we aren't doing anything till we polish it" repaint-aarrrghhm maybe reclearing it at the new Porsche restoration center they are building would satisfy me...
Old 12-21-2014, 01:50 PM
madmurdock
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 59 Posts

I would never let the dealer correct my paint. Here's what one dealer did to this 991 turbo. https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbi...4.157160866132 flip through the pics to see how they ruined the paint and then refused to repair it.

Find a reputable detailer and have them fix it.
Old 12-21-2014, 02:04 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

I'm not doing that.

Beyond me why a dealer would have you try and correct these areas. I'd leave well alone. Don't take liability for these repairs.
Old 12-21-2014, 02:09 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Mumbles
Beyond me why a dealer would have you try and correct these areas. I'd leave well alone. Don't take liability for these repairs.
Because there's the chance you'll do further damage and they can blame the owner for the problem. I don't trust dealers at all.
Old 01-19-2015, 11:10 AM
alaint101
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dark knight
glad they're taking it seriously, I haven't polished mine, I'm afraid heres what they will say if you polish it "you did it not us and/or you made it worse with polishing" or they will say, "we aren't doing anything till we polish it" repaint-aarrrghhm maybe reclearing it at the new Porsche restoration center they are building would satisfy me...
Dark Knight,

Last night, I spent about 4 hours going through mild paint correction and polishing the car. Most of the blemishes went away with one still showing at about 50% of what it was. I didn't want to push the polishing too much for fear of burning the paint but I figured it would probably completely go away with one or two more cycles. (I usually detail all my cars every six months.)

I'll apply the finish today but I'm quite happy with the results. The only down side is that you can't see anything with the pics. (Which is good of course.)

Obviously, we may have had different issues with the paint but it might be worth detailing the car - and perhaps asking the dealer to pay for it.

As mentioned before, I intend to meet with the P rep later this month and discuss the 'mixed delivery condition.' I'll let you know what comes out.

Alain
Old 01-20-2015, 12:20 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,046 Likes on 538 Posts

My car was delivered with scratches and sanding marks on the spoiler's top surface. Didn't see it at delivery. However, at home I could see it under fluorescent light. Also found a small dent in the rocker which matched up with an area where the white transport film had been pulled back. It was that way coming off the truck. Showed this to the dealer and also had them put the car up on the rack. Glad I did that since the bottom panels have scuff marks along with some nice digs in the brake ducts. The tech pointed out that there were no marks on the underside of my spoiler so this had to be pre my taking delivery.

My car came in on Dec 5 I got a phone call about ten days ago asking if I could bring my car in the following morning for the rep's review. Unfortunately it was about 20 degrees with the roads covered in salt. I declined due to the weather. Hopefully I'll see the rep in the next week or so. Until then I won't touch the top surface of the spoiler. Haven't decided what to do about the scuffed panels, brake ducts and the small dent in the rocker.
Old 01-20-2015, 03:11 PM
dark knight
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

spoiler and bumpers painted elsewhere, mine had some polishing marks too happens i believe at the part supplier before factory, reason your front spoiler has no scuffs is that the car ships without it attached, the dealer installs it upon arrival
Old 01-21-2015, 02:35 AM
neuroguru
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

With all of this clear coat conundra, I am wondering if anyone can recommend the best detailer around the SF Bay Area?

I am planning on having the dealer not detail the car at the time of delivery and take it for eval and paint correction by a good detailer ...
Old 01-21-2015, 03:47 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 626 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by neuroguru
With all of this clear coat conundra, I am wondering if anyone can recommend the best detailer around the SF Bay Area?

I am planning on having the dealer not detail the car at the time of delivery and take it for eval and paint correction by a good detailer ...
I hear good things about these guys: http://teamspeed.com/forums/detailin...plication.html

Quick Reply: non PTS paint problem, roof also