Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 991 GT3 Worth It?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2014 | 12:09 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Maybe a Cayman GT4 would be worth considering for autocross?
Old 12-05-2014 | 12:18 PM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Just a taste of autocross in a 991 GT3. Not me but a friend driving.

http://www.onholiday.com/vid/curt-gt3.mov
Old 12-05-2014 | 12:37 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Wow...I thought I went on too long in my posts?!?

Try reading that original post on mobile format page ha ha
Old 12-05-2014 | 12:41 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Haku

This must be in Australia, correct?
Old 12-05-2014 | 12:42 PM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by doubleurx
This must be in Australia, correct?
Nope, Chattanooga.
Old 12-05-2014 | 12:44 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Nope, Chattanooga.
Really? Looks down under to me......ha ha ha!
Old 12-05-2014 | 10:02 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Not sure why some are giving you a hard time, but I think you ask a good question if you are new to Porsche.

I used to the 'because racecar' thing too. It was fun at the time, but I grew tired of chasing gremlins here and there. Also, constantly chasing my tail when it came to managing issues like coolant overheat, transmission overheat, brake fluid boilover, fuel pump overheat, and fuel starvation really took away the fun when you just want to enjoy an uninterrupted track day. It was at that point, that I switched to Porsche.

I started with a boxster spyder. The only thing I needed to do to make the car track ready was to add adjustable lower control arms to gain more negative camber, and an OEM 3rd radiator to keep temps nice and cool. After that, it was the standard brake pad and tire upgrades. The car runs flawlessly and without hassle. Maintenance and consumables are actually cheaper than my last track car (Evo X) because the car is light weight. Change the oil once or twice a year (every 7 track days), the brakes last 2 seasons for me, and NT01 tires last 6 track days.

I expect the GT3 to be even more flawless. The only additional purchases that will be made to make the car track ready are a 1/2 cage, harnesses, and track brake pads. Because the car is significantly faster, I expect consumables to be more expensive (brakes and tires), but it's the price to pay for a higher performance car.

The only caution I might give is that I think the GT3 is a better road course/track car than autocross car. IMO, autocrossing a GT3 is like getting a wild mustang and trying to ride it in a small surburban backyard. Porsche tested the car at the ring, not at the local supermarket's parking lot.

It sounds like you're ready to move onto Porsche. You won't look back. I didn't.
toivonen, Joe makes some great points and you should listen to his POV, but I will offer a counterpoint to his "mustang in a back yard" analogy with regard to the GT3 and autocross. No question the car was made for the track but it excels in other venues too.

The link below has some comments from Petevb, who partnered the Porsche Parade winning autocross car this past year against national competition and wrote a great article about his experience in Panorama a few months back. Read posts #27 and #29 where he talks about what he thought about the GT3 as an autocross car.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...ight=autocross

True to his prediction, in my second event with the car, it posted TTOD on the stock tires; credit to the car and not so much it's driver. And Joe, not all autocrosses are run in supermarket parking lots!
Old 12-05-2014 | 10:16 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
toivonen, Joe makes some great points and you should listen to his POV, but I will offer a counterpoint to his "mustang in a back yard" analogy with regard to the GT3 and autocross. No question the car was made for the track but it excels in other venues too....
And Joe, not all autocrosses are run in supermarket parking lots!
Lol! You know I love to give you guys a little ribbing when comes to autocross. I can't help myself.

Come out with me to a track day next year, Mike!
Old 12-05-2014 | 10:58 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Going into 27 seconds those cars are too close. Bad things car and do happen at autocrosses too.

Ryan
Old 12-05-2014 | 11:09 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by reidry
Going into 27 seconds those cars are too close. Bad things car and do happen at autocrosses too.

Ryan
Whoa.....no kidding. I know the event was in a parking lot, but still I've never been at any venue that allowed cars that close to the course.
Old 12-05-2014 | 11:22 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by toivonen
Since 80% of GT3's get tracked and autocrossed, with that being my purpose, is it really that good?
Yes. A stock GT3 (of any generation) will be the most safe and technically robust car for the track (& autocross) you can buy out of the box. You can then (safely) spend many $$$ (mostly on suspension) and make it as tough & tight as you want -- practically turning it into a street-legal Cup car. Or just get a Cup and be done with it.
Old 12-05-2014 | 11:36 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

My personal opinion based on experience is that you will be happier with a dedicated race car and a seperate, but fun street car. Take the cost of the Gt3 and get a dedicated track car and spend the rest on a nice road car. The only issue is transport to and from- not sure of your situation, but trust me- there is no end to modifying these highly capable GT3's until you have spent more than a cup car for something that you can race but will not be that competitive and is slower than a cup car plus you have destroyed any resale value. If you get a cup car, they are super expensive to race (around $2K per hour minimum if you want to be competitive), so look for something cheaper in a class with lots of cars. Here in the US that is Spec Miata or Spec Racer Ford (my choice). My Gt3 will be my awesome sports car, might see one or two track and I'll keep it stock. My .02
Old 12-06-2014 | 01:08 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Has anyone ever seen a cup car at an autocross? Just curious. Serious question.
Old 12-06-2014 | 02:56 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

^Never, although quite a few other exotic cars- Not a venue where the Cup would shine that's for sure. It's hard enough making the GT3 work well. Only time I was able to do well and finish 2nd to a lightweight autocross special was when we were at a really high speed open course. Typical course in a parking lot I could barely beat Boxsters.
Old 12-06-2014 | 03:58 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

i dont understand all the questions you posed. but one of which was is GT3 worth it. yes. sell the house buy the car. it's worth it.

Quick Reply: New 991 GT3 Worth It?