Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dream racing and GT3 comparo

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 11:27 PM
MWA1977
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

I'll agree 100% with orthojoe regarding the driving experience b/w the 458 and the GT3. I did 7 laps in each, but at Exotics Racing. This post is the first time I have heard of Dream Racing so I'll have to check them out the next time in Vegas.

My thoughts regarding racing the two:

2014 Porsche 991 GT3: As what everyone else has said, this car is absolutely amazing in every right. Prior to this trip, I have never tracked a car before and this was the first one I ever did. It made me look good (at least in my mind) and definitely could give me more than I could handle if I wasn't respectful. That being said, the balance and downforce, to me, enabled me to turn a 3 sec better time than I did in the 458 on the same track. The only thing I did not like about the GT3 was the quiet exhaust at low RPMs. Just doesn't do it for me.

- Ferrari 458: wow, wow, wow. Absolutely beautiful car. A real head turner. The exhaust to me is second only to the LFA. Very minimal yet beautiful interior. On the track, granted I am an amateur so take this with a grain of salt, the car felt very loose in the rear-end. I really had to respect this car more so than I did the GT3. It was slightly quicker getting up to speed (low end torque) but as I mentioned above I had quicker track times in the GT3 which I attribute to better balance, handling, and downforce, especially in the and out of the corners.

As far as Exotics Racing goes, my GT3 instructor was awesome. I don't recall his name but he was the only Asian instructor there. He pushed me harder and harder each lap, taking me beyond the braking cones each time before braking. I did indeed get to redline for every shift in both cars so that is not an issue. I even got 2 extras laps in the GT3 because I kept passing people and getting stuck behind traffic. I can't comment on the tires on both cars as I did not look. There is no simulator as has been mentioned however there is a briefing session of the track and it's layout and expected lines and braking points.

First post for me. Long time browser. You guys on this site are amazing and offer a lot to everyone. I appreciate all the info I get from this forum. It's very helpful.
Old 05-05-2015, 11:40 PM
brooklynd
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to agree with all previous posts regarding Dream Racing being a top notch facility and experience. I drove the mclaren 12c in march at Dream racing but for only five laps which really leaves you wanting more. Wish I would have chosen the gt3 and done some extra laps but hopefully for next time.
Old 05-07-2015, 01:55 AM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by MWA1977
I'll agree 100% with orthojoe regarding the driving experience b/w the 458 and the GT3. I did 7 laps in each, but at Exotics Racing. This post is the first time I have heard of Dream Racing so I'll have to check them out the next time in Vegas.

My thoughts regarding racing the two:

2014 Porsche 991 GT3: As what everyone else has said, this car is absolutely amazing in every right. Prior to this trip, I have never tracked a car before and this was the first one I ever did. It made me look good (at least in my mind) and definitely could give me more than I could handle if I wasn't respectful. That being said, the balance and downforce, to me, enabled me to turn a 3 sec better time than I did in the 458 on the same track. The only thing I did not like about the GT3 was the quiet exhaust at low RPMs. Just doesn't do it for me.

- Ferrari 458: wow, wow, wow. Absolutely beautiful car. A real head turner. The exhaust to me is second only to the LFA. Very minimal yet beautiful interior. On the track, granted I am an amateur so take this with a grain of salt, the car felt very loose in the rear-end. I really had to respect this car more so than I did the GT3. It was slightly quicker getting up to speed (low end torque) but as I mentioned above I had quicker track times in the GT3 which I attribute to better balance, handling, and downforce, especially in the and out of the corners.

As far as Exotics Racing goes, my GT3 instructor was awesome. I don't recall his name but he was the only Asian instructor there. He pushed me harder and harder each lap, taking me beyond the braking cones each time before braking. I did indeed get to redline for every shift in both cars so that is not an issue. I even got 2 extras laps in the GT3 because I kept passing people and getting stuck behind traffic. I can't comment on the tires on both cars as I did not look. There is no simulator as has been mentioned however there is a briefing session of the track and it's layout and expected lines and braking points.

First post for me. Long time browser. You guys on this site are amazing and offer a lot to everyone. I appreciate all the info I get from this forum. It's very helpful.
Great write-up... thanks for sharing! Excited to get down to LV and try out both Exotics and Dream.
Old 06-08-2015, 12:42 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 360 Likes on 217 Posts

Got back from Vegas last week but life caught up and didn't have a chance to write a review.
I had a great time! The facility is inside the Las Vegas Motor Speedway and that adds to the experience.
The short track they use is a lot more technical than the one Exotics are using. IMO,you can achieve higher speeds on the Exotics track,but you will be rewarded more on the Dream Racing's track. I will post a video at the end with the 458 GT and my instructor driving,so you can see the track. You will also have a chance to familiarize yourself with the track on a simulator before the driving session.

The instructors do not have a brake pedal on their side like the ones from Exotics.

With that said,I had a chance to drive the 991 GT3 in the street car category and the Ferrari 458 GT on slicks.

The GT3 :
Again,as I've said in the past,the car is gorgeous,it looks much better in person than in the pictures. I have seen it in person previously,but it just reconfirmed my opinion. With that said,as you sit inside,you will immediately notice it has grown in size : there is a more room and you'll be able to tell it's wider as well.
The car had the 18 ways seats and although I have found them supportive enough for my cornering abilities,I was still not quite satisfied with my seating position. Even though I have taken my time adjusting the seat,I still blame my niggle on the excitement to just go out and drive and not trying to find a better position. And what I mean by it : I have learned that the best seating positing on the track is as low as the adjustment allows,yet in the GT3 I couldn't see the end of the hood if I did that and I'm 6.2!!!
I drove in PDK sport,suspension in the firmest setting. You will immediately feel the throttle response,it's great and instantaneous.
The steering is fine and does a decent job communicating back,although I can honestly say the hydraulic is way better IMO!
The car had the Pilot Cup 2s and the mechanical grip of the suspension combined with those tires is insane for a street car! The RWS works but you do not feel it.
You can definitely take advantage of the wider track in this car and it has improved the front turn in dramatically.
The steel brakes are phenomenal,although you do feel the chassis moving a little under hard braking.
The engine pulls and pulls and pulls...all the way up to 9K. The sound is great but I like louder and I can see why some have decided to modify the exhaust.
The PDK-S is very quick up and down. I drove it in manual and it was fine for the track. Since I'm no Senna,if I were going for lap times,I would've probably had left it in Auto and try to concentrate on pushing the car more.
Question of the day : Would I be missing a manual transmission had I've gotten this car : ABSOFREAKINLUTELY! On the track : probably not...but this was 5 laps on a track that I have never driven before. During an event where you get 20 laps and 3 sessions,I would think that by the 3rd session and all " warmed up " and in tune with the track/group of cars and your car,you might miss shifting a bit even on the track.

In conclusion : the car is great and I can see why everyone is raving about it! My instructor and the concierge personnel all said that the GT3 would be the car they would take home and prefer over all the cars there. Whether that's a line they tell everyone depending on the car they chose to drive or not,I can't tell...but I think it's a genuine statement.

The 458 GT :

It's another World! You owe it to yourself to drive such a car at least once in a lifetime!
The mechanical grip/aero combined with slick tires is absolutely crazy! You will find yourself cornering at speeds you never thought were possible before!
The sound in the cabin and outside is delicious!
It's not an easy car to drive,if you let off the throttle a bit and try to slowly get back on,it will jerk you back and forth until you increase RPM. You also need to warm up the tires and gradually and smoothly open up the throttle because the delivery is brutal.
With that said,once you get it right,it is such a rewarding machine,that you will not want to drive another car on the track!

Enjoy :

Old 06-08-2015, 01:27 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
Got back from Vegas last week but life caught up and didn't have a chance to write a review.
I had a great time! The facility is inside the Las Vegas Motor Speedway and that adds to the experience.
The short track they use is a lot more technical than the one Exotics are using. IMO,you can achieve higher speeds on the Exotics track,but you will be rewarded more on the Dream Racing's track. I will post a video at the end with the 458 GT and my instructor driving,so you can see the track. You will also have a chance to familiarize yourself with the track on a simulator before the driving session.

The instructors do not have a brake pedal on their side like the ones from Exotics.

With that said,I had a chance to drive the 991 GT3 in the street car category and the Ferrari 458 GT on slicks.

The GT3 :
Again,as I've said in the past,the car is gorgeous,it looks much better in person than in the pictures. I have seen it in person previously,but it just reconfirmed my opinion. With that said,as you sit inside,you will immediately notice it has grown in size : there is a more room and you'll be able to tell it's wider as well.
The car had the 18 ways seats and although I have found them supportive enough for my cornering abilities,I was still not quite satisfied with my seating position. Even though I have taken my time adjusting the seat,I still blame my niggle on the excitement to just go out and drive and not trying to find a better position. And what I mean by it : I have learned that the best seating positing on the track is as low as the adjustment allows,yet in the GT3 I couldn't see the end of the hood if I did that and I'm 6.2!!!
I drove in PDK sport,suspension in the firmest setting. You will immediately feel the throttle response,it's great and instantaneous.
The steering is fine and does a decent job communicating back,although I can honestly say the hydraulic is way better IMO!
The car had the Pilot Cup 2s and the mechanical grip of the suspension combined with those tires is insane for a street car! The RWS works but you do not feel it.
You can definitely take advantage of the wider track in this car and it has improved the front turn in dramatically.
The steel brakes are phenomenal,although you do feel the chassis moving a little under hard braking.
The engine pulls and pulls and pulls...all the way up to 9K. The sound is great but I like louder and I can see why some have decided to modify the exhaust.
The PDK-S is very quick up and down. I drove it in manual and it was fine for the track. Since I'm no Senna,if I were going for lap times,I would've probably had left it in Auto and try to concentrate on pushing the car more.
Question of the day : Would I be missing a manual transmission had I've gotten this car : ABSOFREAKINLUTELY! On the track : probably not...but this was 5 laps on a track that I have never driven before. During an event where you get 20 laps and 3 sessions,I would think that by the 3rd session and all " warmed up " and in tune with the track/group of cars and your car,you might miss shifting a bit even on the track.

In conclusion : the car is great and I can see why everyone is raving about it! My instructor and the concierge personnel all said that the GT3 would be the car they would take home and prefer over all the cars there. Whether that's a line they tell everyone depending on the car they chose to drive or not,I can't tell...but I think it's a genuine statement.

The 458 GT :

It's another World! You owe it to yourself to drive such a car at least once in a lifetime!
The mechanical grip/aero combined with slick tires is absolutely crazy! You will find yourself cornering at speeds you never thought were possible before!
The sound in the cabin and outside is delicious!
It's not an easy car to drive,if you let off the throttle a bit and try to slowly get back on,it will jerk you back and forth until you increase RPM. You also need to warm up the tires and gradually and smoothly open up the throttle because the delivery is brutal.
With that said,once you get it right,it is such a rewarding machine,that you will not want to drive another car on the track!

Enjoy :

458HL - YouTube
Thanks for sharing. Glad you had a chance to finally drive the GT3! I must admit, the longer I own the GT3, the more I think PDK is a great match for it on the track. However, at the same time, the longer I own the car, the more boring it gets to drive on the street because it lacks a manual. I really miss my spyder and yearn for a GT4 to replace it.

It looks like were hauling *** in that 458GT
Old 06-08-2015, 01:43 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Thanks for sharing. Glad you had a chance to finally drive the GT3! I must admit, the longer I own the GT3, the more I think PDK is a great match for it on the track. However, at the same time, the longer I own the car, the more boring it gets to drive on the street because it lacks a manual. I really miss my spyder and yearn for a GT4 to replace it.

It looks like were hauling *** in that 458GT
Thanks.

I think ideal is to own both. I can't so I wanted everything in one package.
You are correct,the PDK-S is a great match for this engine and Porsche has done right with this car. Although not the " one pkg deal " I'm looking for,IMO.

Regarding the video I've posted,I need to emphasize in case you've missed my initial post,it was a ride along with my instructor driving. I was much slower and not worthy of posting. .

Last edited by neanicu; 06-08-2015 at 02:17 PM.
Old 06-08-2015, 02:05 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,371 Likes on 2,487 Posts

neanicu, good review.

IMO, can't really compare a car on SC2 with a car on slicks. Put slicks on the GT3 and it'll be a different ball game, assuming the PASM suspension of the GT3 can cope with the higher loads of slicks.

I remain in the camp there are other cars which are more fun on the road than the GT3, at reasonable speeds, though the GT3 is quite a beast on track. I continue to enjoy manual on nice roads, though I don't miss it in the GT3.
Old 06-08-2015, 02:29 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Manifold
neanicu, good review.

IMO, can't really compare a car on SC2 with a car on slicks. Put slicks on the GT3 and it'll be a different ball game, assuming the PASM suspension of the GT3 can cope with the higher loads of slicks.

I remain in the camp there are other cars which are more fun on the road than the GT3, at reasonable speeds, though the GT3 is quite a beast on track. I continue to enjoy manual on nice roads, though I don't miss it in the GT3.
Manifold,my intention wasn't to compare the GT3 on street legal tires with a race car on slicks.
I believe you have mentioned in the past that you have driven race cars on slicks,so you might be familiar. And many others here probably did... I haven't...so of course I have noticed a difference. It is not the GT3 lacking something,it is just the race car experience that is different. So I was aiming my post more to those that have never driven a race car and would like to give it a try...

Old 06-09-2015, 08:49 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Nick. Nice to have your first hand feedback finally. Im no PDK fanboy but I can tell you that Ive not yet found myself thinking "I wish this car was manual" on the track. Once you get confident you can move from PDK Sport to full paddle "manual" if you want to dial up the interaction and start to try and match your Sport Auto lap times (its not easy and Ive yet to get close but it adds more drama and more to think about in the cockpit). The 991 GT3 with PDK is just perfect for the track I feel. Driving the car 8+/10ths on our local back roads (2nd/3rd gear often to redline always in manual paddle shift) the PDK is also alot of fun and very addictive, however I agree with Joe & Manifold and I think Manifold puts it very well:

"I remain in the camp there are other cars which are more fun on the road than the GT3, at reasonable speeds, though the GT3 is quite a beast on track. I continue to enjoy manual on nice roads, though I don't miss it in the GT3"

Step in the GT4! In a perfect world I think a GT4 and a GT3 would be the perfect complimentary cars. GT3 for the track and touring between tracks etc and the GT4 for fast road work, Sunday drives and occasional track (when the GT3 was not available for one reason or another). Thats what I would like to achieve.
Old 06-09-2015, 09:50 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Macca
Nick. Nice to have your first hand feedback finally. Im no PDK fanboy but I can tell you that Ive not yet found myself thinking "I wish this car was manual" on the track. Once you get confident you can move from PDK Sport to full paddle "manual" if you want to dial up the interaction and start to try and match your Sport Auto lap times (its not easy and Ive yet to get close but it adds more drama and more to think about in the cockpit). The 991 GT3 with PDK is just perfect for the track I feel. Driving the car 8+/10ths on our local back roads (2nd/3rd gear often to redline always in manual paddle shift) the PDK is also alot of fun and very addictive, however I agree with Joe & Manifold and I think Manifold puts it very well:

"I remain in the camp there are other cars which are more fun on the road than the GT3, at reasonable speeds, though the GT3 is quite a beast on track. I continue to enjoy manual on nice roads, though I don't miss it in the GT3"

Step in the GT4! In a perfect world I think a GT4 and a GT3 would be the perfect complimentary cars. GT3 for the track and touring between tracks etc and the GT4 for fast road work, Sunday drives and occasional track (when the GT3 was not available for one reason or another). Thats what I would like to achieve.
Mark,thanks.

Sorry to be late to the party,but nobody wanted to give me their GT3 to drive on the track so I had to find one myself.
I am convinced PDK would be just fine for me on the track and since I'm slow,it will make me a faster driver too. It's a beast on the track!
But since I'll be doing 90% of my driving on the street,I just know I will miss a manual.

Great car the GT3,nothing to say...

Quick Reply: Dream racing and GT3 comparo