Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: early Speciale with $5,000 markup

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2014 | 03:20 PM
alaint101
Racer

Originally Posted by MileHigh911
AGREE with all that!! Sounds like you can't afford the Ferrari. If you can't afford to write a check (not that you have to, but you should be able to unload 400,000 from your net worth without any concern for wrecking it and its value disappears)......then you shouldn't buy the car.
+1
Old 11-13-2014 | 03:21 PM
alaint101
Racer

Originally Posted by mikemiaos
Well, then how much annual income do you guys think can afford a Speciale?
It's not about income... It's about assets.
Old 11-13-2014 | 03:30 PM
scycle2020
Burning Brakes

the long term depreciation and possible collectiblity of the 458Sp will come down to production numbers. The scud was hit hard because it was not a limited run of 399 or 499 cars. The 16M was limited to 499 cars and even those cars have taken a $70-90k hit from MSRP. The 16M prices have seemed to stablitize and perhaps they will start to inch up. So the458sp at $350k will see some price decreases for sure.
Old 11-13-2014 | 04:37 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

If you're a good customer to the dealership, I think you have a good, but questionable proposition. To get a Speciale at all (I can't get the hardtop from the local horse stable, and don't want the chop-top version) is an interesting proposition. You'll lose money on the car. A friend had one of the first 458's and got out of it for break-even. He liked it and recommended it to me, but he also sold it because he didn't want it, not for want of money or whatever. He kept the RS 4.0 though he could sell it for an easy $100-150K _profit_ ...

The $5K is a curious number. It's curious that there's one going begging at all, but the $5K is such an irrelevant number. I also got an offer on a '15 Spider orderable at msrp. These seem like similar "clues" to a weak Ferrari market that was happening in '08 (whether the economy or the crash is relevant, nobody knows.)

Personally, same offer in my lap, I'd decline, I just don't want the car. If Ferrari said "whoops, by some crazy Italian way of things, we happen to be building another run of 430 Scuderias" I'd say yes. Same thing if Porsche called up today and said "RS 4.0 or 991 RS ... same price, pick one ..."
Old 11-13-2014 | 05:18 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

If you have to finance it, probably not the best economic decision you could make.
Old 11-13-2014 | 05:28 PM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

Originally Posted by ZZinger
If it does not feel right don't do it or you will hate the car. I have had 2 Ferraris, a 430 and a 458. I was always scared about wrecking them, putting too many miles on them and facing large chunks of depreciation, So I left them. I have a GT3 arriving in about a month. Though the GT3 is not a 458 it is a fraction of the cost and it won't drop much in value being they made so few of them.

Sure, the Speciale is a Ferrari that will hold value very well, but at $300,000+ I don't see the point in spending that money when you can drive a GT3 at less than half the cost and get say 85-90% of the performance of a Speciale.

Ferraris are great and all but they are a hassle to be honest. Excited to get back to Porsche, I had many in the past but have not owned one since my 997 Turbo back in 08.
What exactly is being discussed here? Hey, this is just a car. If there is even a question about whether it makes sense financially, dont buy it. We work hard to buy these unneeded toys. Does it make sense? Well, If I want it, thats the only question I need to answer. How many of you have bought a benz or a BMW for 100k and in 4 years is worth 30k only? I have. The point is a car like a speciale would depreciate in value but you should not count that as the only reason you would not like it. I have a scuderia I hardly use. Do I want to sell it? Hell no. If I am so tired from work, I reward myself by driving it.

You work hard, you deserve it. Life is so short my friends.
Old 11-13-2014 | 05:31 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

I was offered one as well, but I probably won't buy it. The dealer texted me with "do you want our last speciale allocation?" I responded that I wanted some questions answered before I committed. Never heard back. Dealing with local Ferrari dealer (sales) has been draining. I just don't understand their business model.

Anyways, enough of that. Having done the Ferrari thing now, I'm glad I did it. However, the performance of Porsche for the price, quality and reliability is unparralleled. I am enjoying my Turbo S every single day. I don't worry about price or miles or warranty. The Ferrari is a special car to have in the garage and enjoy occasionally. It is an event to drive and I enjoy that too. It is also a status symbol unfortunately and can give the wrong impression to those who don't really know you. I never really care what others thought about me though. I buy the cars for me to enjoy.

Here's the best advice. Serious. Keep the GT3 and enjoy it (DD or track). Don't worry about it. You are worrying about the speciale, I can tell. Don't get it. Sometimes the thought about getting one and the chase are more fun than actually having the car. In a year or two pick up a "used" one if you can very comfortably afford it. At $350K, they will drop. Guaranteed. That's my plan anyway.
Old 11-13-2014 | 05:49 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Safe investment plan that earns 20% a year?

Interesting
Old 11-13-2014 | 05:53 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by audipwr1

Interesting
what safe investment plan offers 20% per year ? Inquiring minds want to know.
Old 11-13-2014 | 06:14 PM
FORENN
Banned

Originally Posted by shapiroeric
Have you actually asked the dealer if you can take his slot?....I can tell you that your scenario would not fly one bit at my dealer....not a chance....
Some people tried to sell their 991 GT3 slots this way early on, as well (including at least one here on RL) and I always wondered if this actually worked. Whether Ferrari or Porsche, I would imagine it may not always be this simple. Some people (and dealerships) actually do abide by established process. Either way, Eric is right, before you put more time into deliberation and RL discussion, you may want to check and see if the scenario even flies. I do think, though, that if you have to ask the internet, you already have your answer.
Old 11-13-2014 | 06:22 PM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Originally Posted by audipwr1

Interesting
The investment plan at fantasy land in Disney World....
Old 11-13-2014 | 06:26 PM
Howaboutthat
Instructor

Originally Posted by mikemiaos
I am able to get a Speciale (march-april delivery) with paying $5,000 markup, no crazy options, I can spec it myself. Should I get it?
Get a Scuderia, save $125,000, finance it with cheap money, sleep and drive well.
Old 11-13-2014 | 06:37 PM
fibredog
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AC SATCO
just cause someone wants to finance does not mean they cant easily afford the car.
Agreed. I made a general statement assuming the financing was a MUST. If you have liquid assets, but choose not to use them for whatever reason, it's a different story.

Old 11-13-2014 | 06:42 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by fibredog
Agreed. I made a general statement assuming the financing was a MUST. If you have liquid assets, but choose not to use them for whatever reason, it's a different story.

There can definately be good reason to finance especially if you can buy it at a real low interest rate..ie: line of credit and put your cash to work at a considerably higher return. I don't think an auto loan rate would be that low for a car like this.
Old 11-13-2014 | 06:43 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

True story:

Someone sold the rights to a buildable allocation for an i8 for $120,000. Price for the car was MSRP. Split the money with the salesmen. Crazy...

Last edited by orthojoe; 11-13-2014 at 07:01 PM.

Quick Reply: OT: early Speciale with $5,000 markup