Brembo Type 3 Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 12:01 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
All 4 corners
Woohoo! Now I'm excited! NO RS29! Endless here I come!
Old 10-28-2014, 12:24 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I paid $880 USD inc tax for MX72 all four corners. Id imagine they are more expensive here than USA (like most things) so $750 USD sounds about right. I decided to start with the MX72 as i drive the car on the road too and cant live with constant brake squeal (aka RS29 and others). I have found the factory pads to date adequate but wanted to try something a little more aggressive and which potentially lasted a while longer. I started with MX72 on teh 993 with a "Big Red" brake upgrade with the view to moving to to ME20/22 later if needed but frankly the MX72 are more than enough and are lasting well so far. I have a plumbed front brake cooling kit on the 993 and run without baking plates front and rear, and with the weight at 1300kg I suspect Ill unlikely use the more aggressive compound unless I need more fornt brake bias (ME20 up front, MX72 at rear). I bedded these in well at the track and they have been sweat and noise free since.

The 991 GT3 is a heavier car but seems to by design have adequate ventilation. Pad and rotor wear (OEM) seem about what I would expect from those I have spoken to on their 2nd and 3rd set. I think the MX72 will work well for weekend track work on a road car, some SFR/Endless fluid would be a worthy upgrade to from a longevity POV. I think I will tackle rotor longevity before considering a more aggressive pad. there seems no shortage of retardation in the GT3 and I have yet to experience any brake fade. I think the key challenge is to get the performance vs reliability/longevity vs value matrix sorted out...as they say you can have two sides of that triangle but never all three so in the end I suspect personality dependant for most of us the $$$ part will be left out in the cold LOL!
Old 10-28-2014, 12:32 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,806 Likes on 1,101 Posts

The ME20, N05U and MA45B pads are more expensive than the MX72. I want to say MA45B are almost $1k in 380mm front sizes for 997 cars... not cheap. I think USCTrojan runs the MA45B on the front of his RS and they seem to wear really well with the PFC rotors.

I have a neighbor that works at endless here locally, race support. PM me and I'll see if he's willing to answer any questions or direct to someone there. He said they will do custom stuff/backplates, so might be worth asking.

here is the applications guide:
http://www.endlessdata.info/Racing%2...et%20(web).pdf
Old 10-28-2014, 01:38 AM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Holy! For my info, what does it feel/sound like when this happens?
Oddly enough, I don't remember feeling anything particular. I only remember when I was swapping wheels I noticed the cracks. And it was all 4 rotors. The one in the photo isn't even the worst. One rotor had two very large cracks. I do remember that the pads were toast after this.
Old 10-28-2014, 01:55 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by 24Chromium
Oddly enough, I don't remember feeling anything particular. I only remember when I was swapping wheels I noticed the cracks. And it was all 4 rotors. The one in the photo isn't even the worst. One rotor had two very large cracks. I do remember that the pads were toast after this.
Crap. Scary! Will make an effort to check rotors after every session. Thanks for sharing.
Old 10-28-2014, 02:44 PM
RobT 394
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 64 Posts

In my experience the PFC 08s are hard on rotors. With Type IIIs and PFC slotted I have had about the same experience with cracking after 12 days. Better cooling is in order and I hope this helps.

With Pagid Yellow's the rotors lasted a long time, and so did the brake zones. They go on and on and on. The more wear on the pad the earlier you have to brake. Done with those. I would rather change rotors and suffer the cost.
Old 10-28-2014, 03:04 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by RobT 394
In my experience the PFC 08s are hard on rotors. With Type IIIs and PFC slotted I have had about the same experience with cracking after 12 days. Better cooling is in order and I hope this helps.

With Pagid Yellow's the rotors lasted a long time, and so did the brake zones. They go on and on and on. The more wear on the pad the earlier you have to brake. Done with those. I would rather change rotors and suffer the cost.
Interesting. As a counterpoint, I've had several sets of Pagid RS29s, and they ran perfectly all the way down to a mm or so left. That said, I'm excited to try Endless. I still only found that the RS29s lasted about 6-8 days of DE.
Old 10-28-2014, 11:37 PM
samo6556
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this review isn't a porsche but maybe some of the issues is the type of pads rather than the rotors. I was cracking my Brembo drilled rotors through the edge after 1 day at Road America with Hawk DTC-70 pads. Was looking into getting the type 3 rotors and maybe trying these new pads out.

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=490608
Old 05-13-2015, 04:05 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 601 Likes on 268 Posts

I caution anyone against Giro rotors. This is what happened to the last set I bought a couple of years back, after only a handful of track days...

Attachment 881176
I am sorry for chiming in so late but truth be told I only came across this thread because someone in the Nor Cal area was curious about track upgrades for a 991 and I suggested the Girodisc and the response was that they fail based on the above post. Before i go further i should offer up that I have known the owner of Girodisc for nearly a decade, we are dealers and we ran their product on our race cars for several several years without failure so obviously i am biased in thinking it is a great product for the $.

Eventually when we ran the Rolex series we upgraded to the Alcons because of weight at the corners but now that we are not racing professionally I am hard pressed to sell them as much when they are $1100 per corner to get started. Just as an FYI we are getting almost 2 weekends on the Alcons at Sebring but these weekends typically include 2 sprint races and a bunch of practice and maybe a 1 hour enduro.

In regards to your failure, did you ever try contacting Girodisc? In looking at the photos, it looks like you already have a crack reaching at or around the shoulder and into the air gap; is it all possible that the owner had similar cracks and just tried to string them out 1 more session? I am by no means discounting anything you have said or your experience. Did they start cracking immediately after the first day or two? You said they lasted only a handful...are we talking less than 4? I think you are partners with a friend of mine in your racing endeavors and I am asking just because I am just curious, as it is in my DNA to want to analyze a failure like this because i care about the parts I am selling people.

As for much of the other comments made on this thread, the following are the experiences of someone that does not have an engineering degree but has tested nearly everything on here listed under the sun.

The longest lasting pad in racing right now is the Race Technologies compound that Ganesh sells in California. We ran them in the 24 hour; they have been on GT Ferraris and Porsches at Sebring who were able to do the entire race on one set of pads. We did the entire 6 hour PBOC event and a 90 minute enduro and a sprint race on one set. While they are the most expensive pad on the market, they last nearly 30 - 40% longer than anything else and everyone in the industry knows it.

The 2nd longest lasting pad is the Pagid RS29 or RS19 or the new RSL as they have a higher ceramic content than anything and therefore last the longest and generate the least amount of heat UNLESS you are someone that rides the pedal for a while. In this instance, a ceramic based pad will almost generate as much heat as one with a higher metallic content if you are someone that spends a lot of time on the brakes. I believe that only the Race Technologies compound runs a similar amount of ceramics in their magical unicorn compound recipe.

The PFC will wear the most of the above listed pads but have the most bite so one person can actually stop the car and get off the brake and if you do and go through the process of releasing the brake quickly, the wear can almost be as good as a Pagid because you can physically spend less time on the brake pedal. Their new 08s are supposed to be a good endurance pad and they work hard in the paddock to give racers what they need so if the PFC endurance pad doesn't last yet as long as the others, give them time and they will keep trying to achieve.

I could be wrong but I believe that the original intention of this thread is that you guys are disappointed by the life you're getting from rotors in general. While I am more focused on the Girodisc failure i think that I should add that you are all driving the crap out of these cars that make anywhere from 300rwhp to 425rwhp depending on whether you're in a Cayman or a GT3 and you're reaching some serious terminal velocity in a car that weighs over 3000 lbs that you are man-handling like a rag-doll. Tracks like Sears and Laguna don't give the brakes much chance to cool so some of these tracks with the exception of Willow Springs (the big track) and Thunderhill aren't as abusive as others...outside of those two, I think you're at the limit of what a manufacturer can give you without having full blown brake ducts and lighter weight cars. If you don't have true, purpose built brake ducts scavenging fresh air AND a tube delivering that air to either the caliper or disc or both, 12 days in a GT3 or aggressively driven Cayman smell about right to me for disc life.

Just my $.02.

@ 24Chromium, if you have photos of the discs or more information, I am sure that I could get you a full refund or new parts to try if you are still interested and have the faith that this won't happen to discs. If you arent and that experience has ruined it for you, I understand. I am just trying to clarify for purposes of knowing the product I am selling. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by BGB Motorsports; 05-14-2015 at 07:51 AM.
Old 05-13-2015, 04:51 PM
SmokinGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 115 Posts

John
Excellent post, I will be at Giro Disc on the 30th of this month for a PCA tech session and will bring this up with the owner... I think we all can learn from these failures..
Old 05-13-2015, 05:07 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by SmokinGTS
John
Excellent post, I will be at Giro Disc on the 30th of this month for a PCA tech session and will bring this up with the owner... I think we all can learn from these failures..
Copy. Just bear in mind that I called them yesterday and this was the only failure they have been made aware of and they were looking for more information because I think that 24Chromium reached out to them once but I don't know if he got the response he needed or what but I just want to reach some sort of resolution.
Old 05-13-2015, 08:18 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

It's been 2 years or more, so I'm not going to remember all the details as to what led up to them cracking. I can say that it was not anything on my car or my driving that caused the problem. I was lucky in that one of my track pals (thanks Mikymu!) had a complete set of OE rotors that I was able to bolt on and not ruin my weekend at the track. Naturally, I did call Giro to ask for an explanation and replacements.

I was less than impressed with the response from Giro. They took forever to respond and ship me a new set. Even worse, they only shipped me a replacement for a single axle (can't recall if it was the fronts or rears). I never put them on the car. I had zero faith in the product.
Old 05-13-2015, 08:22 PM
gmgracing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 443 Likes on 264 Posts

Stay tuned, we are doing Brembo type V endurance front rotor and type III rear rotor & TS20 pads front and rear on the shop GT3 and we will be testing at thermal next week ! I will have a whole write up.

-Dom

sales@gmgracing.com
www.gmgracing.com

facebook l instagram l youtube l twitter

Porsche | Audi | Ferrari | Lamborghini | McLaren
Performance Tuning | Motorsport | Factory Service

Pirelli World Challege Race Team GT/GTA/GTS/TC
Pirelli GT3 Cup Trophy USA
Porsche Motorsport — Audi Sport Customer Racing — Lamborghini Super Trofeo Series
Old 05-14-2015, 07:49 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

It's been 2 years or more, so I'm not going to remember all the details as to what led up to them cracking. I can say that it was not anything on my car or my driving that caused the problem. I was lucky in that one of my track pals (thanks Mikymu!) had a complete set of OE rotors that I was able to bolt on and not ruin my weekend at the track. Naturally, I did call Giro to ask for an explanation and replacements.

I was less than impressed with the response from Giro. They took forever to respond and ship me a new set. Even worse, they only shipped me a replacement for a single axle (can't recall if it was the fronts or rears). I never put them on the car. I had zero faith in the product.
Roger!
Old 05-14-2015, 01:20 PM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 PFC. Great pad, and great on the 991 Cup. The life isn't great but its a sprint pad, not supposed to last

For those of you getting 10-15 track days out of brake discs... wow. If I get half a dozen I'm throwing a party. Maybe rears are good for slightly longer... but I would never run a disc to 10 or more TD.

+1 on Endless pad. Awesome pad. Feels much better than Pagid yellow.

Quick Reply: Brembo Type 3 Rotors