Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just did exotics racing in vegas over weekend.. 991 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 05:05 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 625 Likes on 382 Posts

Awesome review! Did they try and make you shift before redline? At Exotics Racing, they kept saying "shift" as soon as I'd hit ~7000 RPM.
Old 10-26-2014, 06:29 PM
Strimdog
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Mech33
Awesome review! Did they try and make you shift before redline? At Exotics Racing, they kept saying "shift" as soon as I'd hit ~7000 RPM.
Not at all. He keyed me around 7500 but let me drive so when I would run past 8 he didn't have a problem.
Old 10-26-2014, 06:41 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

Sounds like a great experience, but from a purely driving time/price consideration, 2 day Porsche academy was $3k for two full days. Makes it look like a bargain in comparison
Old 10-26-2014, 07:56 PM
James-GMG
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 114 Likes on 68 Posts

Strimdog,

Sounds like you had a blast and got a lot of bang for your buck. I have to say, as someone who caters to gentlemen racers looking to get into racing, $2K plus to drive a $300K 458 Challenge car is a bargain of the century!! What a great way to get a taste of it without a much bigger commitment. I will suggest to others to try this out before they go and buy a car/race car for the track so they can get a feel for what they are in to. Then I can recommend the proper track car, race series and private coaching needed to get them to the next level....

Thanks for the first hand perspective.

James F. Sofronas | President & Owner
Global Motorsports Group ™
E: james@gmgracing.com
P: +1 (714) 432-1582
F: +1 (714) 432-1590
A: 3210 South Shannon Street, Santa Ana, California 92704
W: gmgracing.com
Old 10-26-2014, 09:28 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Strimdog, Thanks for the great review! OEM cup2 tires, redline! Win! I can't see any reason to do exotics when dream is the real deal.
Old 10-26-2014, 11:54 PM
irish guitar
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 14 Posts

Great report, Strimdog, thanks. No Black Jack table could compare to that.

Enjoy your 3 when it arrives.

Vivian.
Old 10-27-2014, 04:36 AM
Strimdog
Rennlist Member

Calexo

Sounds like a great experience, but from a purely driving time/price consideration, 2 day Porsche academy was $3k for two full days. Makes it look like a bargain in comparison

-- Alex - It was a great experience for sure. The economics of it all never crossed my mind. I was going to be in Vegas anyway and found a way to take advantage of the opportunity. I agree that Barber is a deal, I am going next month in fact, but hey this is Vegas and they have a captive audience. With all that said however, driving the GT3 only cost $620, the Ferrari was where I spent most of the money. If I had to do it again, I absolutely would. Everyone should experience the 458 GT, It was in a word. SICK.

James-GMG

Sounds like you had a blast and got a lot of bang for your buck. I have to say, as someone who caters to gentlemen racers looking to get into racing, $2K plus to drive a $300K 458 Challenge car is a bargain of the century!! What a great way to get a taste of it without a much bigger commitment. I will suggest to others to try this out before they go and buy a car/race car for the track so they can get a feel for what they are in to. Then I can recommend the proper track car, race series and private coaching needed to get them to the next level....

Thanks for the first hand perspective.

---James - It was a blast. I am hooked for sure and will be spending some real time on the track in the future. I also will be taking advantage of every driving school/class I can get myself into. It certainly looks like I am going to be looking to GMG for the roll bar in my GT3!

orthojoe

Strimdog, Thanks for the great review! OEM cup2 tires, redline! Win! I can't see any reason to do exotics when dream is the real deal.

Appreciate it Joe! Dream racing is the real deal!

irish guitar

great report, Strimdog, thanks. No Black Jack table could compare to that.

Enjoy your 3 when it arrives.

Vivian

--Vivian - Thank you! I have stayed away from the Black Jack table this trip and am coming home a winner. I really wonder if there is a connection!!?? I certainly will enjoy my 3. Can't wait to post the new baby pictures when she arrives!
Old 10-27-2014, 11:57 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 625 Likes on 382 Posts

For comparison, I paid $349 to do 7 laps in the GT3 at ExoticsRacing, so you can get a "taste" without going crazy. The cost adds up the more and more laps you add.
Old 10-27-2014, 09:13 PM
James-GMG
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 114 Likes on 68 Posts

Strimdog,

Let me know when you get your GT3 as we are ramping up on rollbars (revised fitments), center sections and headers as well as wheels for that car......happy to help you through the process.
Old 10-28-2014, 01:36 AM
xman11
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the great writeup Strimdog! I'll be in LV in a few weeks and will likely do a few laps in the GT3 with Exotics.

Do you remember if your gt3 had 4-way or 18-way seats? Did the seats hold you in place sufficiently?
Old 10-28-2014, 12:08 PM
Strimdog
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by James-GMG
Strimdog,

Let me know when you get your GT3 as we are ramping up on rollbars (revised fitments), center sections and headers as well as wheels for that car......happy to help you through the process.
Thanks James! I will be in contact soon as she makes it home.
Old 10-28-2014, 12:10 PM
Strimdog
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by xman11
Thanks for the great writeup Strimdog! I'll be in LV in a few weeks and will likely do a few laps in the GT3 with Exotics.

Do you remember if your gt3 had 4-way or 18-way seats? Did the seats hold you in place sufficiently?
xman -

18 way and yes actually they did. The regular seats are great. Have a great time in LV!

Last edited by Strimdog; 10-28-2014 at 12:10 PM. Reason: to add
Old 11-03-2014, 10:52 AM
Linz3
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did Dream Racing on Friday Oct 31st, and can say that (at least with the instructor I had) that they'll let you drive the car the way you want, and with minimal instruction, once they see that you have some ability on track. I have done trackdays for about 4 years now, using a '02 BMW M3, so have decent track experience.

I drove the Cayman GTS, and the Ferrari 458 (street)-- just loved them both, though the Ferrari's screaming and rougher nature made it a hell of a blast on track.

Because of the way they count laps, with your out-lap and in-lap counting as full laps, I'd recommend going with a 7-lap session (if not more), giving you 5 complete laps.

Everything is run smoothly and professionally, and they have great facilities. If you're a car nut, and especially one who likes to do trackdays, you basically need to go out and do at least one session at Dream Racing if you're in Vegas.
Old 11-04-2014, 11:14 AM
Ritesh
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the report Strimdog!!

I am going to try to do it this wknd. Just need to figure out which car!
Old 11-04-2014, 11:25 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Linz3
I did Dream Racing on Friday Oct 31st, and can say that (at least with the instructor I had) that they'll let you drive the car the way you want, and with minimal instruction, once they see that you have some ability on track. I have done trackdays for about 4 years now, using a '02 BMW M3, so have decent track experience.

I drove the Cayman GTS, and the Ferrari 458 (street)-- just loved them both, though the Ferrari's screaming and rougher nature made it a hell of a blast on track.

Because of the way they count laps, with your out-lap and in-lap counting as full laps, I'd recommend going with a 7-lap session (if not more), giving you 5 complete laps.

Everything is run smoothly and professionally, and they have great facilities. If you're a car nut, and especially one who likes to do trackdays, you basically need to go out and do at least one session at Dream Racing if you're in Vegas.
Thanks for the review! Will be there next Friday!

Quick Reply: Just did exotics racing in vegas over weekend.. 991 GT3