Sponsored by:

Just did exotics racing in vegas over weekend.. 991 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 07:27 PM
Lodi
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by RayDBonz
Exotics isn't bad. If you demonstrate that you know what you are doing, they let you drive pretty hard. I had to do a cool down lap after flogging the 458. Interesting side note - I noticed that all the cars that come standard with carbon ceramic brakes had cast iron rotors installed instead.

Just imagine - they take all who walk through the door and place them in some very powerful, very expensive cars. Some have never driven on a track. Some don't speak English well. Some may have been partying hard the night before, or the morning of. Of course they will be cautious. I wouldn't let a stranger drive my car like they do! Hell, there are very few friends I would let drive my car!
A friend of mine had an exotic rental business. Most people run pretty slow when doing these experiences. That said, the brakes give the instructor piece of mind.
Old 10-21-2014, 07:27 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by llstuey
Not sure what you are talking about with "sport" mode - do you mean you were driving in automatic mode only and wanted PDk-s on?
I interpreted it to mean, he could not go auto sport since it shifts at redline, but could use regular auto or manual paddle shift.
Old 10-21-2014, 07:36 PM
cingulus
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think for what it is , Exotics Racing does a good job and it was a much better test drive on a GT3 than any other option I could find. They are not the Porsche school at Barber. So the expectations should be aligned with their business model. I still had a great time and will go back again to try out the Huracan and other new toys as they come in over time.

I agree once they understand, that you can manage the car properly they backed off and just let me drive. They are servicing the lowest common denominator so they have to set limits to keep the business going.

On the maintenance side, I had reserved the C7 to drive the same day as the GT3 and the 458. The C7 was broken on out of commission. The 458 had a tranny and drive shaft failure the cost north of 50K to repair.
Old 10-21-2014, 11:40 PM
C-gt3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to say this... I had a clear track in several laps on various cars...
My "in - talk/ structers -" were good with me... Float em a twenty/50 etc...
Hudno..
...Buzzed post re edited.....

55.3 seconds is the mark for the gt3 ..
I think mooty or trackkar can do 52.. Lets sponser it..
Il call wynn for a huge get together..

Last edited by C-gt3; 10-22-2014 at 09:03 AM. Reason: We know why...
Old 10-22-2014, 01:43 AM
kencollinsjr
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a weird post
Old 10-22-2014, 02:03 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 625 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by kencollinsjr
This is a weird post
I think drinking was involved.
Old 10-22-2014, 07:50 AM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,016 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by C-gt3
I have to say this... I had a clear track in several laps on various cars... My "in - talk/ structers -" were good with me... Float em a twenty/50 etc... Hudno.. Or if the carpets match the drapes... And the wife is cool..flash it... Luckily for me.. The presence of my wife opens up the door.. Then they only charge me half price when they meet me if not a total comp.. Is what it is.. 55.3 seconds is the mark for the gt3 .. I think mooty or trackkar can do 52.. Lets sponser it.. Il call wynn for a huge get together..
So wait.... If I want to drive for free, all I have to do is walk in and have my wife pull her pants down? Cool!!
Old 10-22-2014, 09:41 AM
Strimdog
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 60 Posts

Soooooooo... I booked my experience with Dream racing for Saturday. I'm going to do 16 laps in the race spec F430 then 10 in the GT3. I will let everyone know what rubber is on the 3 and if I needed to grease the in-talk-structer to let me hit 9k.

Sadly, the wife will not be able to attend.
Old 10-22-2014, 09:58 AM
TTRob
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

C-gt3, could you explain in a bit more detail why you disliked driving the C7? Curious, since the car is so widely praised both on and off track. TIA
Old 10-22-2014, 07:21 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 625 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by Strimdog
Soooooooo... I booked my experience with Dream racing for Saturday. I'm going to do 16 laps in the race spec F430 then 10 in the GT3. I will let everyone know what rubber is on the 3 and if I needed to grease the in-talk-structer to let me hit 9k.

That should be awesome! As for the 9k, just ask nicely. They let me put sport mode on in a couple of the cars (not the GT3, though). They did let me put it in manual shift mode and I took it pretty high a few times (bounced off the rev limiter at least once).
Old 10-22-2014, 08:45 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Strimdog

What does the level of fun cost ?
Old 10-22-2014, 09:25 PM
911Königin
Rennlist Member

Received 548 Likes on 310 Posts

When I was there, all the instructors preferred the Porsche. I INTENSLY DISLIKE PDK

And, Strimdog, may I take wifey's place
Old 10-22-2014, 09:34 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by rockitman
Www.dreamracing.com
Old 10-22-2014, 11:29 PM
Strimdog
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rockitman
Just over $2k for a few hours of fun and 30 mins on the track. Lol. Way cheaper than being at a blackjack table for me.

I'm one of those guys that doesn't win in Vegas. Think I'm the only one.
Old 10-26-2014, 04:11 PM
Strimdog
Rennlist Member

Spent the day at Dream racing yesterday and what a well-run organization. It was a blast! I have no experience with their competitor, Exotics racing, but I have to be honest I’m not sure how it could be better. I bought two experiences, the first was 10 laps with a 991 GT3 and the second was 16 laps in what was supposed to be an F430 GT however, they had a brand new 458 GT for $900 more, I mean seriously, how could you pass that up? It was a beautiful day, 78 degrees and sunny. I mean I’m in Vegas and went to bed at 11 on a Friday night and didn’t drink a drop to be in the best possible state of mind on Saturday. As it would turn out, the experience did not disappoint. In all, I spent $620 for the GT3 and $2200 for the 458 GT, expensive, maybe but if you’re like me that’s an hour at a black jack table and MOST of time it’s me donating it so honestly, this was WAY MORE FUN!

I was lucky to be paired with very good young instructor named JT. He was a great guy and 100% interested in helping me to push these cars to my limit. Once he found out I was an enthusiast that was passionate about these cars and had experience with them he was very open and really seemed to enjoy working with me. I told him I had a GT3 on order and was really there to test drive it on the track and the 458 was just a bonus and he laughed asking me if I always ordered the car first then test drove it. He assured me this would be the best test drive of my life. He wasn’t kidding. He also said I would leave here a huge Ferrari fan. He wasn’t kidding.

The Track – 1.2 Miles – 9 Turns

Saturday October 25th 12pm. 991 GT3 w/ MPSC2 – Best Lap 59.03 Sec. –Manual Mode

Our car was white with red stitched leather interior and white gauges. I have to tell you, I ordered white gauges and glad I did. They look awesome and in my opinion not at all too busy with the cutouts as some have suggested. The tires on the car were in fact MPSC2. The car had 2K miles on it but the tires were in excellent shape so I’m sure they have been replaced. After settling in, buckling up, and having a brief chat with JT I started the car. Immediately you know this car is something special. As we taxi down pit lane on our way to the track I am in manual mode with the sport suspension turned on. Of course all the relevant nannies are on as well. JT explained his life was threatened by the powers that be regarding PDK-S mode. So we would not be trying that however I ran in Manual and was good with that, I really shifted most times just past 8k bumping the limiter only twice during our session. I will say, 9k comes quick. At this point the sound is just amazing, intoxicating really, I’m in 2nd gear and this car feels like 10 years of pinned up anxiety just waiting to get out. We reach the track entrance entering near the apex of 2a and I roll on the throttle, immediately it was as if the car screamed THANK YOU. As the g force increased floating through the turn reaching the apex of 2b we were running about 60 Mph and this car has no shortage of grip. It stuck to the tarmac like glue. The RWS was apparent as well, something I am sure you will notice. What was interesting was as we came up to speed exiting 2a we were in the 45-50 Mph realm and it felt seriously like the car just pivoted around the apex. Exiting 2 now we are in 3rd gear rolling on the throttle I briefly touch 100% before reaching the braking zone for 3. Staying in 3rd gear we wind our way through turns 3-4-5 which is a pretty tight set and this car feel right at home in these tight spaces. It is evident this is where the GT3 is glorious, no matter how hard I pushed this car it felt composed and at ease even through the quick transition between 4 and 5. It really felt at times it was the car composing me instead of me composing the car as we would exit a turn and immediately have to set up for the next. At this point I have chubby and one hell of a on my face. Exiting 5 we briefly hit 100% throttle and almost immediately are having to brake for 6. This is really the first test for the GT3’s brakes as up till now we have been carving corner after corner but we reach just under 100 Mph and upon braking my smile gets bigger, I mean seriously! The steel brakes are awesome! They instill complete confidence as it feels like 4 little gremlins on each corner dig into the pavement with their pick axes. Carrying speed now exiting 6 it’s almost a straight line through the apex of 7 into the braking zone for 8. Here again this car proves it’s a thoroughbred through this transition we pick up some speed and must get to the outside of the track to set up for 8. As we are on 100% throttle it almost happens instantly that wo come hot into the braking zone and only have a brief moment to settle the car before brake and turn in. It does it flawlessly, the confidence this car inspires is out of this world. How quickly this car gains its composure is ridiculous. Turning into 8 now we maintain 20-30% throttle floating out wide to get a shot at the apex of 9 to set up FINALLY the sling shot I have been waiting for, as the tires dig in and the g’s increase, I can see it. In 3rd gear now I let it rip as we pass through 9 swinging wide onto the straight, 4th gear now the car is screaming approaching 140 Mph, now 5th gear as I drift to the inside and reach the braking zone I land hard on the brakes, 4th gear, then 3rd gear, at turn in of 1, a 90 degree left I am left awe struck and speechless. Did that just happen? Holy $%#$ in a few months this car is going to be mine!

This car in word is “Brilliant”. I’m not just saying that because I feel I need to justify my $165K either. I did this 9 more times in this car, each time improving slightly as I learned the car and the track, and if I had 10 more laps would have done even better. Most of that is because of the car, it made me a better driver no doubt as it forgave my flaws and compensated for my lack of experience. As I sit in my hotel room at the Bellagio I can’t help but feel sad as I have to wait 12 more weeks before I see her again. It’s good to know I have a support group in this forum.

Well, now onto the Ferrari 458 GT. In this car I ran a 54 flat on slicks that were near the end of the line, with better tires JT assured me I would have run a 52. Now the time with the Ferrari really benefitted from the practice I had in the GT3. By the time I was doing my last 8 laps I already had 20 laps under my belt. I got a few extras due to hitting some traffic earlier and having to navigate around those slow Lamborghini’s. LOL. No question if I had more time in the GT3 I could have got to maybe a 57. Instructor time in the GT3 was 55. Conversely instructor time in the 458 was 49-50. This car was what it was, a race car Ferrari and I mean what can you say other than DAMN. The sound was automotive ****. The grip was like nothing I have ever felt. The acceleration and cornering were in a league of their own. In no way will I nor would I want to compare this to the GT3, they are totally different cars. This was a full blown race car and my first time ever driving a race car of this caliber. So with that said I can’t wait to do it again. For those of you track junkies that want a hell of an experience, I would HIGHLY recommend going and driving the 458 GT.

I will say that if we look at the value the GT3 continues to demonstrate that this car is a no brainer for the stable of any performance enthusiast. The fact that we continue to see the GT3 being discussed together with cars 2-3 times the cost is further reassurance that Porsche got it right. There is no question that this is the car for me and after today I can guarantee that I will be seeing much more of the track in the years to come.

Quick Reply: Just did exotics racing in vegas over weekend.. 991 GT3