Drove the GT3 @ Barber

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 07:34 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Drove the GT3 @ Barber

The car is a beast! Had a few laps at Barber PSDS Masters Plus and it is everything they say it is and more, you will not be disappointed! I like it much more than the Turbo S and cannot wait for delivery in Jan.
Old 10-17-2014, 08:09 AM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Thanks for that report!

Old 10-17-2014, 08:35 AM
rubbaman
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Can't wait to back down there. I'll be there Tues and Wed for the GT3 Cup experience.
Looking forward to getting back into it, since I have 2 weeks plus to wait for my car!
Great instructors aren't they?
Old 10-17-2014, 10:11 AM
GTEE3
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

^
I heard that some GT3 Cup experience dates have been cancelled due to "too many Cups written off this year".
Old 10-17-2014, 11:50 AM
JCBH
Rennlist Member

Received 136 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by MJones
The car is a beast! Had a few laps at Barber PSDS Masters Plus and it is everything they say it is and more, you will not be disappointed! I like it much more than the Turbo S and cannot wait for delivery in Jan.
I drove the GT3 and Turbo S extensively last month at Barber and I completely agree - GT3 was epic, and Turbo S was not. January will be here before you know it!
Old 10-17-2014, 12:06 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Say hello to Colm for me.
Old 10-17-2014, 02:02 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,976 Likes on 919 Posts

Originally Posted by JCBH
I drove the GT3 and Turbo S extensively last month at Barber and I completely agree - GT3 was epic, and Turbo S was not. January will be here before you know it!
Is it just the sound lacking, steering feel? What's the biggest difference on track?
Old 10-17-2014, 02:13 PM
JCBH
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Is it just the sound lacking, steering feel? What's the biggest difference on track?
It was way more than the sound - the Turbo S is a cruiser compared to the GT3. The GT3 is at home on the track, and the Turbo S is just not - softer suspension, different gearing/transmission, less direct steering feel - it was unanimous from everyone in our Masters Class - and instructors mainly agreed - night and day. The gearing/PDK-S and engine on the GT3 is perfectly suited for Barber, let alone other tracks. We would just pull away from Turbo S' on the straights, coming out of tight turns...really incredible. So sharp, like a knife...taking my GT3 to Thermal tomorrow so I am excited to re-live that in my car!
Old 10-17-2014, 02:26 PM
rubbaman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GTEE3
^ I heard that some GT3 Cup experience dates have been cancelled due to "too many Cups written off this year".
I'll let you know next week if this is true. I know early this year someone crashed one on turn 4.
All I know is next week is a "Go". The new schedule will be out at the end of Oct. it will be interesting to see what is on there.
Old 10-17-2014, 02:27 PM
IvanBurns
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GTEE3
^
I heard that some GT3 Cup experience dates have been cancelled due to "too many Cups written off this year".
This is correct. I don't know about the dates next week that rubbaman referred to, but beyond that, no more Cup Experience courses.
Old 10-17-2014, 02:50 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,800 Likes on 2,376 Posts

30 min drive on curvy streets sas all it took to tell me the car is pretty amazing
Old 10-17-2014, 04:23 PM
rubbaman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by IvanBurns
This is correct. I don't know about the dates next week that rubbaman referred to, but beyond that, no more Cup Experience courses.
That's amazing! Just got off the phone with Jeff down at Barber. Man, did I luck out. I grabbed a cancellation spot last month for the Oct.21-22 event.
Hurley, Cass, Peter L., Sean, Owen and Brian are the instructors for next week. This event was on my bucket list, so I am real happy to know I got the last spot ever!
Jeff told me they have lost 3 cup cars in the last year.
And the last one last month! They are thinking about some other options for future dates.
Not a cup car, but a step up from Masters Plus. Not yet finalized.
A damn shame about the cup experience going bye bye. But it was not
working economically with people coming down and crashing their cars.
Old 10-17-2014, 04:53 PM
kencollinsjr
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know that many of the instructors are terrified of riding shotgun in the Cup car experience. There's such a razor-thin margin of error on those machines. Near the limit, if it goes wrong, it goes wrong too fast sometimes for them to intervene, and IMHO, they wind up getting students behind the wheel who are not qualified to push the cars past 8/10ths.
Old 10-17-2014, 04:58 PM
JCBH
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rubbaman
That's amazing! Just got off the phone with Jeff down at Barber. Man, did I luck out. I grabbed a cancellation spot last month for the Oct.21-22 event. Hurley, Cass, Peter L., Sean, Owen and Brian are the instructors for next week. This event was on my bucket list, so I am real happy to know I got the last spot ever! Jeff told me they have lost 3 cup cars in the last year. And the last one last month! They are thinking about some other options for future dates. Not a cup car, but a step up from Masters Plus. Not yet finalized. A damn shame about the cup experience going bye bye. But it was not working economically with people coming down and crashing their cars.
When I was there last month I suggested they do a class with GT3 street cars - would be really fun for guys like us who have the cars and can really learn how to drive them on the track and have fun safely. I think it would be very popular. They have 2 black GT3's there already.
Old 10-17-2014, 05:09 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,465 Likes on 764 Posts

Did some one say that the GT3 would pull away from the Turbo S, on the straights after thru a turn??

Please elaborate

Quick Reply: Drove the GT3 @ Barber