Sponsored by:

How to do a DIY 991 GT3 Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 12:23 AM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by alpine-al
I've found another oil filter tool that fits perfectly (no lathe work required). It's the Sealey VS7113. It doesn't seem to be sold in the US. I bought one on eBay from UK seller who shipped it from the Czech republic (?). $15 with fee shipping (took 3 weeks to get here).
Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Al, have you used it to do an actual change yet? Even with the low profile Porsche tool there is insufficient space to get a ratchet or even a jointed extension into the opening so I ended up having to use a wrench on the hex head that protrudes from the tool. However, it appears that the 4 rectangular extensions on the tool in your pic would prevent one from being able to do that. I'll be interested to hear how you got (or will get) around that. Keep us posted, please.
Indeed, no room for a ratchet. I too am curious how well you are able to turn that tool with those ears. You may find instead of lathe work you need judicious application af a hacksaw and a bit of polish with a disc on a 90 degree die grinder.

Do let us know.

Ryan
Old 05-12-2015, 01:18 AM
SmokinGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 115 Posts

Guys just use a band clamp and be done with it. There is no room for a wrench on the end of the filter and the band clamp works great.
Here is another tip for those of you who buy oil in 5 quart jugs, make sure you measure out the last two quarts or you will under fill or overfill. Once you get the oil up to temp take a reading and add accordingly.
One more tip, pour the oil in slow or the system will burp and you will have oil everywhere..
Old 05-12-2015, 01:51 AM
seapar
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My experience having observed up close my Indy guy do the oil change is that after drainage that adding 7 qts will bring you up to the min level line. Then you can titrate till you get the bar level you want. 0.5L will get you to the top but you don't want to overfill as others have. Thanks Ed for the filters. Prob will do change q 4-5 track days and send subsequent samples to Blackstone.
Old 05-16-2015, 02:54 PM
alpine-al
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by reidry
Indeed, no room for a ratchet. I too am curious how well you are able to turn that tool with those ears. You may find instead of lathe work you need judicious application af a hacksaw and a bit of polish with a disc on a 90 degree die grinder.

Do let us know.

Ryan
Ryan and Mike were right. The ears on the Sealey tool got in the way. I couldn't maneuver it onto the filter. So I cut the ears off with a Sawzall and it fit, but as Mike found, I couldn't get a socket on it and I don't have a 27mm open end wrench. A trusty pair of slip-joint pliers worked fine. I also tried an old band-type filter wrench and it worked well, as recommended by SmokingGTS. Although when tightening the new filter with the band wrench, I couldn't judge the tightness as well as I could with the Sealey tool and the pliers.

Old 05-16-2015, 03:01 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 148 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by alpine-al
Ryan and Mike were right. The ears on the Sealey tool got in the way. I couldn't maneuver it onto the filter. So I cut the ears off with a Sawzall and it fit, but as Mike found, I couldn't get a socket on it and I don't have a 27mm open end wrench. A trusty pair of slip-joint pliers worked fine. I also tried an old band-type filter wrench and it worked well, as recommended by SmokingGTS. Although when tightening the new filter, I couldn't judge the tightness as well as I could with the Sealey tool and the pliers.
Thanks for the follow-up Al. The more variations and on-the-fly solutions we get to explore, the better. BTW, I don't have a fixed open end wrench that size either, but one of my adjustable crescent wrenches did work. I'm glad you were able to get the job done!
Old 05-16-2015, 09:04 PM
Bucketlistx911
Rennlist Member

Received 325 Likes on 118 Posts
Default Best value oil change

Hey, just did my first oil change at LMN motor sports in Virginia Beach - madman Luttzo total cost $191. No special tools no nonsense. Fortunate to have excellent shop which charges fair. I enjoy working on car but I prefer driving.
Old 05-16-2015, 09:34 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Bucketlistx911
Hey, just did my first oil change at LMN motor sports in Virginia Beach - madman Luttzo total cost $191. No special tools no nonsense. Fortunate to have excellent shop which charges fair. I enjoy working on car but I prefer driving.
My dealer is 45 miles away so it's not that convenient and I don't have an independent I trust. I like driving too, but working on the car is part of the experience IMHO and can be very satisfying as long as you're not trying to fix something that's actually gone wrong. Once you've figured out the process, which is what this thread is about, a DIY oil change is a snap.

TEHO.
Old 05-18-2015, 10:52 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I hope K&n offers one that fits.

Old 05-18-2015, 11:59 AM
NYCone
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike,

For the neophytes here (my first Porsche, and first oil change). What are the PN of the Sealing ring for sump plug, and the Sealing ring for oil tank plug? I know Suncoast sells a kit, but I may buy in bulk.

Am I correct in assuming if I have the 9A1-107-203-90 filter, the oil, and the two seal rings, I'm set to go? Are there any small parts that come as part of the Suncoast package I'm not thinking about?
Old 05-18-2015, 12:13 PM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by NYCone
Mike,

For the neophytes here (my first Porsche, and first oil change). What are the PN of the Sealing ring for sump plug, and the Sealing ring for oil tank plug? I know Suncoast sells a kit, but I may buy in bulk.

Am I correct in assuming if I have the 9A1-107-203-90 filter, the oil, and the two seal rings, I'm set to go? Are there any small parts that come as part of the Suncoast package I'm not thinking about?
3 rings are needed, one for the oil filter also (green in the kit)....maybe Suncoast can sell you a little baggie of all of them....they can't be expensive....
Old 05-18-2015, 06:07 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Mike,

Yes, you're correct.

The part number for the aluminum sump plug sealing ring is 90012313130
The part number for the copper oil tank sealing ring is 90012300920

I'm not sure what Suncoast is putting in their package now. When I bought mine they had left out the tank sealing ring and had to send it to me separately. They also included two sump plugs and two sump plug sealing rings although it's only necessary to remove one plug and you don't have to replace the plug itself with a new one. Finally, they included a small green rubber O-ring whose purpose is unknown.

Originally Posted by shapiroeric
3 rings are needed, one for the oil filter also (green in the kit)....maybe Suncoast can sell you a little baggie of all of them....they can't be expensive....
Eric, the green O-ring serves no purpose that I'm aware of. Supposedly Suncoast has a schematic that shows it as associated with the spin on filter, but the filter has it's own sealing ring and I've never seen a spin on filter that needed a separate one. The workshop manual does not mention that green O-ring, and there was no O-ring installed with the filter that I took off the car. I didn't use it.

Last edited by Mike in CA; 05-18-2015 at 07:17 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-18-2015, 07:01 PM
alpine-al
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Mike,

I found that GenuinePorscheParts.com (aka Porsche of San Diego) had the best pricing on the oil filter and sealing rings (no affiliation).

Old 05-19-2015, 08:46 AM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Eric, the green O-ring serves no purpose that I'm aware of. Supposedly Suncoast has a schematic that shows it as associated with the spin on filter, but the filter has it's own sealing ring and I've never seen a spin on filter that needed a separate one. The workshop manual does not mention that green O-ring, and there was no O-ring installed with the filter that I took off the car. I didn't use it.
Good to know, especially since I "forgot" to put it on....thanks, Mike

Last edited by shapiroeric; 05-19-2015 at 11:00 AM.
Old 05-23-2015, 09:47 AM
dntlvet
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very well done write up!
Old 07-19-2015, 07:42 PM
SmokinGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 115 Posts

You guys will enjoy this.. I stopped by my dealer the other day and spoke with the service manager about the sensitivity of the oil indication system. He told me they can't make any money doing oil changes because a guy with 30 years of experience can't get the fill level right the first time. I just had to laugh, I thought I was the only guy not to get it right the first, second or third time. LOL
I stand on my 7 qts max and then trickle in the oil an once at a time until the correct level is found.
I sourced the plug sealing rings in quantity from Paragon Porsche in Texas cheap...

Quick Reply: How to do a DIY 991 GT3 Oil Change