Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to do a DIY 991 GT3 Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2020, 05:59 PM
gt3touring
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

I did my own brake flush with Castrol SRF and the Motive PowerBleeder, no harder than any other car such as BMW. I asked my dealer tech if they cycle the ABS during a routine 2-Year brake flush and he told me "no" they don't. They just hook it up to their larger pressure bleeder system that is filled with Porsche DOT 4 brake fluid.

I was told by my dealer to tighten the bleeder screws to 10Nm. I hand tighten lightly and 10Nm is just a little tighter than a "light" hand tightening.
Old 08-29-2020, 06:43 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,132 Likes on 2,890 Posts

Originally Posted by gt3touring
I was told by my dealer to tighten the bleeder screws to 10Nm. I hand tighten lightly and 10Nm is just a little tighter than a "light" hand tightening.
That’s very loose (between 7 and 8 ft-lbs). Might be fine - I got the 130 inch-pound spec (Just below 11 ft-lbs) from a guy who rebuilds Brembo calipers as a full-time job.

BTW, I’ve sometimes seen a little brake fluid weeping down the calipers at the track in the past with previous cars I’ve owned (also with Brembos) and assumed it was because the bleeders were not tight enough. This is almost never the case. Instead, the small amount of brake fluid that is trapped inside the bleeder can expand and run past the rubber caps if you get it hot enough.

So, I attached a small length of brake bleeder hose to the end of my shop vac with duct tape and suck out the remaining fluid now after torquing the bleeders. Problem solved.
Old 02-25-2021, 03:08 PM
Captain_
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Thanks for the feedback guys. I enjoy doing my own oil changes and I'm glad sharing my experience was useful.

As for the jack stands, Montoya had the link to the site in his post but here it is again:

http://jackpointjackstands.com/

They are made in the USA and very nicely done. The pics below show how they work. The aluminum pin fits through a hole in the replaceable rubber piece which then is placed on top of the pad which has a recessed area to accommodate the pin. The pad comes in different sizes; the low profile version is appropriate for low cars like Porsches.

The pad goes on the jack and the pin is aligned with the hole in the jacking point on the frame. The car is raised high enough to slide the stand under the pad from the back side with the opening in the stand straddling the jack. The pad is then lowered onto the stand and the jack can be removed and used at the next jacking point. Each stand is capacity rated at 4000 lbs so they can be used with much heavier vehicles if desired.

They aren't cheap but neither is my car or my body parts. I really like them.

BTW, for those asking about the jack, it's available on Amazon. It's also a nice piece and comes with a lifetime warranty.

http://www.amazon.com/OTC-1532-Capac...words=otc+jack
An we Europeans like to think we are clever, this Jack point is just great.
Old 09-16-2021, 08:39 PM
texas_maverick
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Does anyone know the part number for the Torx 30 screws that hold the aluminum diffuser up (I'm missing one of the 11)?
Old 09-16-2021, 09:39 PM
edsonreds
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by texas_maverick
Does anyone know the part number for the Torx 30 screws that hold the aluminum diffuser up (I'm missing one of the 11)?
Those are Porsche 99907334809.
The following users liked this post:
texas_maverick (09-16-2021)
Old 09-16-2021, 09:43 PM
texas_maverick
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks, edsonreds!!! I tried to find it and was unsuccessful.
Old 04-21-2022, 04:54 PM
MikeKuhnRacing
Advanced

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

About to do the change on our 991.1 GT3 with the motor replaced last year. Just checked and the oil filter on it now is a OPB.115.351.. I ordered the filter with the part number ending in .90. Does anyone know if the .90 will still fit even though the new filter is a .351? I called Porsche of Charlotte and the only thing they showed in their computer that would fit a 991.1 is the filter ending in .351...Which doesn't make sense to me as everyone here has used the .90 for years, and every website online when ordering the filter shows either the .90 or .91 for the 991.2 years.

Thanks
Old 04-21-2022, 05:15 PM
wtforce
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeKuhnRacing
About to do the change on our 991.1 GT3 with the motor replaced last year. Just checked and the oil filter on it now is a OPB.115.351.. I ordered the filter with the part number ending in .90. Does anyone know if the .90 will still fit even though the new filter is a .351? I called Porsche of Charlotte and the only thing they showed in their computer that would fit a 991.1 is the filter ending in .351...Which doesn't make sense to me as everyone here has used the .90 for years, and every website online when ordering the filter shows either the .90 or .91 for the 991.2 years.

Thanks
Haha I went through this confusion last year when I bought a kit as well. So my g series engine used the .91 on the old filter. The new PN using 0PB-115-351 is the same as the old filter ending .91.

so if your current filter that came off the car ends in .91 the 0PB-115-351 filter should be the same.
Old 04-21-2022, 05:18 PM
MikeKuhnRacing
Advanced

Originally Posted by wtforce
Haha I went through this confusion last year when I bought a kit as well. So my g series engine used the .91 on the old filter. The new PN using 0PB-115-351 is the same as the old filter ending .91.

so if your current filter that came off the car ends in .91 the 0PB-115-351 filter should be the same.
That's what I have been reading now, so the .351 is the new number for the .91, but either would work.

But since I ordered the .90 i'm guessing that it will not work?
Old 04-21-2022, 05:27 PM
edsonreds
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

That's what I have been reading now, so the .351 is the new number for the .91, but either would work.

Hi. I have PETKA and the correct PN is with a 0, not an O. Having said that, according to Porsche this new part supersedes 9A1-107-203-91, which in turn supersedes 9A1-107-203-90.

Where there are changes only in the last two digits it may indicate a re-stock or an worth upgrade over the previous iteration. When there is a new coding, it is almost certain the new part has been upgraded.

The 3 parts will fit, but given that it is a cheap part, would you risk potentially facing a failure that triggered a part revision?
Old 04-21-2022, 05:45 PM
wtforce
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it were me I wouldn’t use the .90 and return it for either .91 or 351. If you know for sure that post engine change you had a .90 filter on it go ahead and use it if not then it’s safer to get a filter with the new PN
Old 04-21-2022, 05:47 PM
MikeKuhnRacing
Advanced

Originally Posted by wtforce
If it were me I wouldn’t use the .90 and return it for either .91 or 351. If you know for sure that post engine change you had a .90 filter on it go ahead and use it if not then it’s safer to get a filter with the new PN
Working on returning the .90 now to Pelican Parts, even though they won't provide a return label. Picking the .351 filter up from Porsche tomorrow.
Old 05-04-2022, 08:01 PM
MikeKuhnRacing
Advanced

Just did the first oil change today! If you jack the drivers side of the car up more then the passenger side, you will get a good bit more oil to come out. Those that use a lift or quik jack's wont have this ability.

I had it flat on wheel ramps first, and once I jacked up drivers side more a lot more started to come out.

Having all of the correct tools, it only took about 30 minutes from start to finish. 20 minutes of that was waiting for the oil to drain.
The following users liked this post:
Zubehor (05-05-2022)
Old 05-05-2022, 12:41 AM
Zubehor
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 42 Posts

Just did the first oil change today! If you jack the drivers side of the car up more then the passenger side, you will get a good bit more oil to come out. Those that use a lift or quik jack's wont have this ability.

I had it flat on wheel ramps first, and once I jacked up drivers side more a lot more started to come out.

Having all of the correct tools, it only took about 30 minutes from start to finish. 20 minutes of that was waiting for the oil to drain.
ive been using this "trick" every time i change any fluids and yes you are correct you can get at least 0.5qt more doing it this way.
Old 05-05-2022, 11:55 AM
mipcar
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 64 Posts

You can adjust the angle of your lift with the quick jack as it does not always lift perfectly horizontal. Quick verification with a level on the oil cooler. I set mine to be just a bit higher in the back and utilize the forward drain screw. Let it drain for a bit and verify what was removed.

Oil change done yesterday and replaced my coil packs just for good measure. Ready for May track days!

Quick Reply: How to do a DIY 991 GT3 Oil Change