Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ran 11.85 @ 120 mph in 1/4 mile, so yes, car is fast but not THAT fast.

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 09:44 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,450 Likes on 754 Posts

The Buick -love it- I remember that car all too well. My Buddy got one for his senior year in High school and totaled it in no time. Why any Father would buy some thing like this for a kid so young at the time I do not understand? Then I did not - today I do.
Old 10-14-2014, 09:57 AM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
The Buick -love it- I remember that car all too well. My Buddy got one for his senior year in High school and totaled it in no time. Why any Father would buy some thing like this for a kid so young at the time I do not understand? Then I did not - today I do.
Friend, Viatnamesse Buddy, boight an 84 T-Type two years out of high school. It had some work done to bring up quicker than the standard GN. But it's so funny when Mustang 5.0 owners would discover what the 3.8L Turbo engines were all about.

This coming Mecum Auction in Anaheim they are selling an GNX with 57 miles on it. Would love to have it but the value in those cars are the miles that have't been driven in then.
Old 10-14-2014, 10:16 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 350 Likes on 212 Posts

Man,if you're into this type of abuse watch this :

Old 10-14-2014, 10:31 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

Actually 11.85 @ 120mph is fairly reasonable for a car stated to have potential of 11.2 @ 126mph.
Especially for a normally aspirated 6.

You were not far off the mark so no real need to be disappointed because lets face it, when has a magazine test ever live up to the published numbers?? Typically they beat on a loose mule to get a bench mark for publication.

Lot of variables. Tires pressures, weight of driver, track temp, how many miles on car?

11 second car out of the box is impressive. Especially given the suspension is based on a track car.

Again, how many miles are on the car?
Old 10-14-2014, 02:26 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
Actually 11.85 @ 120mph is fairly reasonable for a car stated to have potential of 11.2 @ 126mph.

You were not far off the mark so no real need to be disappointed because lets face it, when has a magazine test ever live up to the published numbers?? Typically they beat on a loose mule to get a bench mark for publication.

Lot of variables. Tires pressures, weight of driver, track temp, how many miles on car?

11 second car out of the box is impressive. Especially given the suspension is based on a track car.

Back eons ago Chevy, when they were marketing the 1st ZR1, would throw the keys to the magazine folks - needless to say many believe that those "Special ZR1's" were very, very special indeed. For as you may know it was a rare occasion that an off the shelf model driven by a 'COLD SHOE' would equal the marks recorded by the Magazinea. Besides on-board Telemetry has come a long way in 20+ years.
Old 10-14-2014, 04:15 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Altitude bro. 2000 ft altitude your car will not trap it's best, neither will the others, hence the slow trap speeds. That 5-6 mph will probably get you your .6 too. Doubt it will "feel" a lot different, but the GT3 is not a torque monster, it just goes, and the acceleration doesn't fall off.
Old 10-14-2014, 04:52 PM
mrsmitty
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mainly
just wanted to report a quick trip to the drag strip today, last track event of the year here in Northern Alberta.

temp was about 17.5 deg c, altitude is i believe around 2200. humidity 30%. and i was running with stock air pressures ~ 33 psi rear with ESC and TC left ON. may try turning those off next time.

overall not that impressed with the cars straight line performance. at least at the drag strip, on the street the car is down right savage. and of course its not a drag car, but then again, what stock car is?

it seemed like several people were getting less than optimal times; a Lamborghini aventador also ran only an 11.8!! and they should be in the low/mid 10's. lightly modded cadillac cts-v's running mid 12's @115-116 mph... again, all unusually slow trap speeds. i wouldnt have minded the higher ET as much as my low trap speed of 120 mph. especially since it was tested at 11.2 @ 126 mph by one of the mags so thats movin'.

what was sweet is the launch control. works flawlessly every time and hooks up and launches very hard, with seemingly little to no wheelspin. effortless to engage too; floor brake, floor gas, release brake, done. no stupid sequence of ***** to turn/buttons to press like in the ///M cars and ///AMG's
Hey Mainly do you daily drive your GT3 in Edmonton. I am debating buying a GTS or a GT3 and I am a little scared with the clearance of the GT3 in Edmonton.
Old 10-14-2014, 07:22 PM
mainly
Racer

Originally Posted by tcsracing1

my car has about 2900 km's. i am carrying a bit more weight, about 250 lbs. but that should account for maybe another .5-.7 of a second?
Old 10-14-2014, 07:29 PM
mainly
Racer

Originally Posted by mrsmitty
Hey Mainly do you daily drive your GT3 in Edmonton. I am debating buying a GTS or a GT3 and I am a little scared with the clearance of the GT3 in Edmonton.
yes i do. i wouldn't worry about the clearance. if you are ll you need to do is get the lift. but i didnt order the lift and i get by just fine. or unless you dont care about save 4k then i guess just go ahead ad get the lift.

as far as comparison to the gts, from what ive seen its just a carrera s with the power kit. and looks wise, dude, theres no comparison. the gt3 look so much better than a carrara s in person. on the road it basically has the same kind of presence as a ferrari or lamborghini. or very close. the gts looks pretty much the same as a carrera s with the sport design kit, doesnt it?

do you already have a deposit on a gt3? because i dont think theyre taking any more.
Old 10-14-2014, 07:39 PM
mrsmitty
Instructor

yes i do. i wouldn't worry about the clearance. if you are ll you need to do is get the lift. but i didnt order the lift and i get by just fine. or unless you dont care about save 4k then i guess just go ahead ad get the lift.

as far as comparison to the gts, from what ive seen its just a carrera s with the power kit. and looks wise, dude, theres no comparison. the gt3 look so much better than a carrara s in person. on the road it basically has the same kind of presence as a ferrari or lamborghini. or very close. the gts looks pretty much the same as a carrera s with the sport design kit, doesnt it?

do you already have a deposit on a gt3? because i dont think theyre taking any more.
Asked today and nope can't get one. Oh well I have a GTS on order so that will have to tide me over till a 991.2 GT3 comes out or if I can snag a GT3RS.
Old 10-14-2014, 07:41 PM
mainly
Racer

Originally Posted by Tacet-Conundrum
For this one one I will just point the finger at environmental conditions. As we all know so many data points we can measure that can effect the overall Quarter times and speeds. Heck, even the Lambo didn't do too great in comparison to what these cars can really do on a good day.

But I just love the Title of this post. Just go back 20 - 30 years and see what any car could do! Personally then I would still take a Buick GN or GNX!
yeah about the aventador, he only did one run, and he may not have gotten a good start, because even though he ran the same time as i did, he trapped 130 mph. which is a lt closer to their quoted time... i believe,?

another factor i wonder about is with my other cars i beat the times achieved by the magazines. ie, in my m5 i could run 11.9-12.1s all day at 121-122 mph. this is better than the figures gotten by the mags. same with my cls63. always at 120-121 mph. when they were quoted at under 120.

with the gt3 tested to be over 126 mph, i expected to match that.

although i had a friend who was there the same day with his weistec supercharged C63, and he had similar issues as me. he ran 10.88's when he could usually run 10.5's.

i willl have to go back in the spring and try with tc and esc off. and maybe let some air from my back tires.
Old 10-14-2014, 07:45 PM
mainly
Racer

Originally Posted by mrsmitty
Asked today and nope can't get one. Oh well I have a GTS on order so that will have to tide me over till a 991.2 GT3 comes out or if I can snag a GT3RS.
yeah i figured. but from the way my sales guy was talking it sounded like this is it for the gt3. as in , no 991.2 or anything. as for gt3rs i would think that should happen. i hope so, because i want to see it rape everything! lol.
Old 10-14-2014, 07:48 PM
mrsmitty
Instructor

yeah i figured. but from the way my sales guy was talking it sounded like this is it for the gt3. as in , no 991.2 or anything. as for gt3rs i would think that should happen. i hope so, because i want to see it rape everything! lol.
Actually I am kinda depressed now that I won't get one. The sales guy told me that this is it for the GT3 as well but I took it as "it" for the 991.1. Hopefully not the end of the GT3. Its too bad they can't get one of the allocations from the dealers in the US.
Old 10-14-2014, 08:44 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Adding a lift to the front of the GT3 is almost a $10K investment. Though they generally have a tallef lift than the Porsche resolution.
Old 10-14-2014, 09:37 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I think you should leave ESC & TC off when doing a drag run. I cant tell from the runs actually posted as video (Sabine Schmidt in the RSR Nurburgring car, 11.2 & the Ausralian member in the aforeposted clip) had those off but it would be possible to ask them to find out. Altitude and tyre temp would definately have some baring too on traction off the line. 17.5C ambient with cold tyres wouldnt make for brilliant grip. Once warm would need 3-4psi dropped out of them to be optimal is my guess....

Quick Reply: ran 11.85 @ 120 mph in 1/4 mile, so yes, car is fast but not THAT fast.