Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who makes the standard stereo system in the GT3?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 05:12 PM
LAGinz
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hard to believe anything could be worse than a Bose. Easily the most over-rated audio products of all time.
Old 10-13-2014, 05:32 PM
Napoli
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LAGinz
Hard to believe anything could be worse than a Bose. Easily the most over-rated audio products of all time.
Agreed. Sadly, the worst Bose system is reserved for Porsche owners.
Old 10-13-2014, 05:37 PM
milban
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My vague recollection is that Becker radios were in 60's VW's. Fond memories..
Old 10-13-2014, 05:44 PM
Finlander
Rennlist Member

Received 387 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by LAGinz
Hard to believe anything could be worse than a Bose.
Find a 430 and have a listen….better yet, try to program a local station into the pre-sets.
Old 10-13-2014, 05:47 PM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have completely stopped using the radio on my 458. Haven't used it in months. Simply because it is no more than background disturbance while driving. I don't see the point of switching it on just for traffic lights. I expect the gt3 to be the same.
Old 10-13-2014, 05:53 PM
LAGinz
Pro

Actually I value having at least a decent radio out here in LA where traffic just gets worse and worse all the time and you spend a lot of time at lights or in crawl mode. Hoping that the sound plus package at least gives minimum acceptability for those situations...until I can stretch er out!!
Old 10-13-2014, 06:04 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't understand why they would need to source the stereo from another supplier? That question is even easier to answer now that Porsche is owned by VW and the "Bean-Counters" are running around at every corner trying to always and forever increase thY double bottom line.
Old 10-13-2014, 06:22 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Radio Ga Ga...

Originally Posted by skuplist
Its a Becker radio system.
Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
^^Never heard of them before. I hope that is not bad??
re: Becker, Telefunken, Siemens, Blaupunkt, Grundig. All of them made radios & other components (e.g. speakers) for the post-war German automobile industry. Telefunken & Blaupunkt are the companies most associated with Porsche in the early period*, although I have seen also some Becker models offered by the Porsche factory in its 356 & 911/912 history.

Blaupunkt is now owned by Bosch. Harman (Kardon) owns Becker. Siemens is of course still around, but stop making radios via its 'Siemens-Electrogeräte AG' division decades ago due to competition from the Far East! Grundig stop making car radios also years ago and it's now owned by a Turkish company.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

*Although the attached photos were taken from the internet, I have most of these early radios in my sizable memorabilia collection (which is presently in storage). They range from tube pre-A 356 Telefunken & Siemens to the funky Blaupunkt Berlins from the 1970's! They are way too cool...and so illustrative of the period! Last photo is of the original Blaupunkt radio on my 1970 911E Targa, which is representative of the radios most often found in the long hood 911's of the era. By the way, short wave was often offered in the most expensive of the early era radios. I distinctly remember spending nights in my first Porsche - a 1968 912 Targa - in the summer of 1973 listening to the BBC, Deutsche Welle and Radio Habana Cuba on my car's Blaupunkt Frankfurt set! Those were the days...
Attached Images         
Old 10-13-2014, 06:29 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 360 Likes on 217 Posts

I love 'me Eduardo! They are part of the car. I would never replace them with an aftermarket unit because I want Bluetooth,nav,backup camera or something stupid like that. They belong in those cars.
Old 10-13-2014, 07:13 PM
skuplist
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have been driving a 2014 base 911 with the Bose radio upgrade. I have to say is sounds great!
Old 10-13-2014, 10:33 PM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,018 Likes on 283 Posts

When driving my GT3 for the first time last week, I was actually thrilled with the sound package plus and found the sound to be miles ahead of the bose in my old 991s. I found the bose to have a lot of bass, even more treble and absolutely zero mids. It was absolutely terrible. The sound was fatiguing and was a huge disappointment. My least favorite thing about the car by far.

I've only spent a grand total of an hour in the car. First commute in it is Wednesday. Really looking forward to it!
Old 10-13-2014, 10:43 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Nostalgia. Becker and Blaupunkt used to be the high end audio systems in German cars. How times have changed...
Old 10-13-2014, 11:10 PM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by sgroer
When driving my GT3 for the first time last week, I was actually thrilled with the sound package plus and found the sound to be miles ahead of the bose in my old 991s. I found the bose to have a lot of bass, even more treble and absolutely zero mids. It was absolutely terrible. The sound was fatiguing and was a huge disappointment. My least favorite thing about the car by far.

I've only spent a grand total of an hour in the car. First commute in it is Wednesday. Really looking forward to it!
Sean That's great to hear , no pun intended
Old 10-13-2014, 11:21 PM
LAGinz
Pro

Originally Posted by sgroer

Good to hear Sgroer! Your description of Bose car audio systems matches my impressions exactly. (interestingly, the other Bose products seem to have midrange and nothing else!)
Old 10-14-2014, 03:05 AM
LAGinz
Pro

Anyone know the specs of the Plus system like, size and location of speakers, amplifier and channel setups, etc.?

Quick Reply: Who makes the standard stereo system in the GT3?