Downshifting in PDK v/s PDK-S question

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 08:24 AM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Zulu Alpha
Correct me if I'm wrong Mike.

Has 4 modes: regular auto, auto (PDK Sport), regular manual, manual (PDK Sport).

The rest what mike said.
I haven't noticed any difference between the two manual modes. Anyone? Perhaps there are non gear related differences like when PTV kicks in etc.
Old 10-12-2014, 11:26 AM
Zulu Alpha
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Graville
I haven't noticed any difference between the two manual modes. Anyone? Perhaps there are non gear related differences like when PTV kicks in etc.
Apparently faster shifts
Old 10-12-2014, 06:36 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Correct me if I'm wrong Mike.

Has 4 modes: regular auto, auto (PDK Sport), regular manual, manual (PDK Sport).

The rest what mike said.
Zulu, that's true; technically there are 4 modes since you can select PDK sport when in manual mode. I say technically only because I've played a little with manual mode both ways, and like Paul I can't tell an obvious difference. I believe quicker shifts and full power shifts which are normally allowed when PDK sport is selected in auto mode, are already implemented when manual mode is selected, but I'm not 100% sure about that.
Old 10-12-2014, 07:10 PM
<3mph
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Apparently faster shifts
PDQ
Old 10-12-2014, 07:19 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 403 Likes on 210 Posts

Good info!. Thanks guys.
Old 10-13-2014, 02:11 AM
PC Valkyrie
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've just read the original press materials. I think there are really only 3 modes to our transmission: automatic, sport automatic, and manual (when you push the centre stick shift lever towards the left).

There is no mention anywhere that the actual shift speeds are different between the different modes. In other words, they are ALWAYS fast.

In manual mode, the driver will have full control of the gear selection (no automatic upshifting at redline, no automatic upshifting when flooring the throttle, but the car will automatically downshift at very low rpm's to prevent stalling).

In automatic mode, the car will drive like a typical automatic transmission. Downshifts will occur with aggressive throttle input, and it will upshift on its own. If driven gingerly, it will upshift very quickly to keep rpms low to save fuel. If driven aggressively, it won't upshift until redline. Obviously, the paddles or central shift lever can still be used to temporarily change gears on your own at any time, but after a while, it will revert to the automatic program.

In sport automatic mode, the main difference is that the car will NOT upshift as quickly as possible, even if driven gingerly. It will keep itself in a high rpm range so you will always be in the meat of the engine's power band. There is no need for it to downshift with aggressive throttle input because it always keeps itself in the proper rpm range for maximum acceleration. Most of us agree that this mode is often too much for normal street driving, and I completely concur. It's great for track driving though, if you don't want to shift yourself. However, I think it was Walter Rohrl that said that you don't even need sport auto mode on the track if you are aggressive enough and keep the throttle planted in normal automatic mode. Again, like the normal automatic mode, you can use the paddles or central shift lever at any time to temporarily change gears on your own, but after a while, it reverts back to the sport automatic program.
Old 10-13-2014, 02:49 AM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PC Valkyrie
I've just read the original press materials. I think there are really only 3 modes to our transmission: automatic, sport automatic, and manual (when you push the centre stick shift lever towards the left).

There is no mention anywhere that the actual shift speeds are different between the different modes. In other words, they are ALWAYS fast.

In manual mode, the driver will have full control of the gear selection (no automatic upshifting at redline, no automatic upshifting when flooring the throttle, but the car will automatically downshift at very low rpm's to prevent stalling).

In automatic mode, the car will drive like a typical automatic transmission. Downshifts will occur with aggressive throttle input, and it will upshift on its own. If driven gingerly, it will upshift very quickly to keep rpms low to save fuel. If driven aggressively, it won't upshift until redline. Obviously, the paddles or central shift lever can still be used to temporarily change gears on your own at any time, but after a while, it will revert to the automatic program.

In sport automatic mode, the main difference is that the car will NOT upshift as quickly as possible, even if driven gingerly. It will keep itself in a high rpm range so you will always be in the meat of the engine's power band. There is no need for it to downshift with aggressive throttle input because it always keeps itself in the proper rpm range for maximum acceleration. Most of us agree that this mode is often too much for normal street driving, and I completely concur. It's great for track driving though, if you don't want to shift yourself. However, I think it was Walter Rohrl that said that you don't even need sport auto mode on the track if you are aggressive enough and keep the throttle planted in normal automatic mode. Again, like the normal automatic mode, you can use the paddles or central shift lever at any time to temporarily change gears on your own, but after a while, it reverts back to the sport automatic program.
That is the locgical explanation. I cannot understand when you are in manual paddle shift mode that sports PDk would make any difference...after all the whole point of manny paddies is to shift when you want at the rpm you want...
Old 10-13-2014, 04:19 AM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

ive tried both manual and sport manual specifically to compare shift speed and they feel identical. Even some of those low speed shifts that actually feel a bit slow. I.e. you get a half second lag after pulling the lever and then an instantaneous shift.
Old 10-13-2014, 05:43 AM
Zulu Alpha
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

That's very interesting fellas. So pressing PDK Sport while in manual is useless then?
Old 10-13-2014, 06:35 AM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's very interesting fellas. So pressing PDK Sport while in manual is useless then?
....think about it.

The whole point of manual shift control is when you want to shift...you shift..There is no magic with the pds sport button unless you are in automatic.

Last edited by rockitman; 10-13-2014 at 08:11 AM.
Old 10-13-2014, 01:32 PM
the-missile
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am obliged to go for a ride test now.

Doubt shall be clarified at the earliest.
Old 10-13-2014, 02:20 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,529 Likes on 5,056 Posts

Originally Posted by rockitman
....think about it.

The whole point of manual shift control is when you want to shift...you shift..There is no magic with the pds sport button unless you are in automatic.
Hmm, my understanding was that even in manual - when Sport was selected - the speed of the shift was faster.

Of course, when you shifted was up to you (i.e., manual mode) but the time it took the gearbox to shift gears was incrementally (or perhaps milliseconds) faster? And given how we're talking milliseconds here, not sure any human being while driving could appreciably notice the difference.
Old 10-13-2014, 02:27 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,450 Likes on 754 Posts

Funny - I always drive in manual and his weekend I selected the "sport" button to see what would happen -nothing, I think there are only 3 modes. I am going to see what the car manual says.
Old 10-13-2014, 04:30 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

The other thing that happens when you select sport mode is that upshifts occur at full power; there is no "intervention" of engine power (as Porsche calls it) to smooth out the shifts like there is in regular auto mode. Whether this applies in manual mode, or whether choosing manual selects all of the performance features of the gearbox by default is unknown, at least to me.

Last edited by Mike in CA; 10-13-2014 at 05:52 PM. Reason: sp
Old 10-13-2014, 05:00 PM
the-missile
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just tried

looks like there is a small jolt in upshift in manual sport mode compare to a smoother upshift in normal manual mode. anybody felt the same, or my brain just want to be convinced that something happen?

For downshift, I would say louder gas throttle.

Quick Reply: Downshifting in PDK v/s PDK-S question