Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 991 GT3 Autocrossing...

..in Switzerland

Old 10-03-2014, 07:39 PM
Nan P
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I haven't auto crossed for almost 20yrs....this guy is moving!
I think once the track bug gets you it's hard to go back; but it still looks like fun.
Old 10-03-2014, 07:46 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

That is not the typical autocross that I've seen. He's actually getting out of 2nd gear. If the autocrosses here had that type of scenery, space, and high speed sections, I'd considering doing it again.
Old 10-03-2014, 08:40 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 144 Likes on 77 Posts

More open than most autocross courses I've done. Our PCA site has similar potential in that it uses an abandoned runway and adjacent connecting roads rather than a typical parking lot, but the layouts tend to be slower and more technical. At our last event I was getting up to almost 75 in one section, but runs into 3rd gear are unusual. Course in that vid looks like fun, and the scenery is hard to beat. Thanks for posting, Conekiler.
Old 10-03-2014, 08:55 PM
Conekilr
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nan P
I haven't auto crossed for almost 20yrs....this guy is moving!
I think once the track bug gets you it's hard to go back; but it still looks like fun.
Originally Posted by orthojoe
That is not the typical autocross that I've seen. He's actually getting out of 2nd gear. If the autocrosses here had that type of scenery, space, and high speed sections, I'd considering doing it again.
Originally Posted by Mike in CA
More open than most autocross courses I've done. Our PCA site has similar potential in that it uses an abandoned runway and adjacent connecting roads rather than a typical parking lot, but the layouts tend to be slower and more technical. At our last event I was getting up to almost 75 in one section, but runs into 3rd gear are unusual. Course in that vid looks like fun, and the scenery is hard to beat. Thanks for posting, Conekiler.
I got my start in autocross hence the handle "conekilr"

Yes, this is not the typical autocross course but I've run a few of these high speed ones in the past and they were fun..

I think this video demonstrates just how good the chassis is on this car with the flatness is fast transitions and it's ability to change directions with ease...This car may just get me back into autox again !!!

Old 10-03-2014, 09:00 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

We call that a "Tarmac Gymkhana" in our part of the world. Typically they arent as fast as this nor run on a run way but more a large flat sealed apron.

We also do them on the grass!

PCNZ run them 3-4 times a year and there is a leader board for best times that wins a cup at end of the season. Typically they have favoured mid engined cars for balance but the 991 GT3 is well positioned to take out the next one i should say due to the box and balance and power. rarely do we get out of second, and with a manual its a challenging job with the fastest usually using handbrake to pul teh car swiftly around cones (not possible in 991 GT3 any longer!)...

Quick Reply: 991 GT3 Autocrossing...