Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2015 GT3 or 2014 Turbo S

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 01:45 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

6 kids huh? Congratulations.... In today's world, having lots of Children and being able to have enough time to enjoy them while having enough money to properly take care of them (best schools etc) is the true luxury.:: no sports collection can touch that.

Oh, and gt3
Old 10-01-2014, 02:45 AM
Fowwiee
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same debate, but except I have no kids.

I decided against a Turbo S in the end.

When I was in the market a few months ago, I got a slightly used 911 Turbo S down to 160k. It was a CPO with 1000 miles on the clock. So it came with extended warranty as well. I will only presume prices are even cheaper now on the turbo S. So price isn't really that far apart between a well optioned GT3 and Turbo S.

But after around 30 second of test drive, I decided against the turbo S. Some people claims that the turbo has nice sound, I have no idea what they are on about, cause I couldn't hear anything (both windows up or down). Its very quite, even for a turbo charged engine. The Turbo S is a GT car more than anything else.

In fact, I found the turbo S very boring. May be cause I am used to have 500+ hp and tons of grip (been driving around in a GTR) , the turbo S really didn't feel all that much faster. It almost felt too comfortable, too easy...
Old 10-01-2014, 08:26 AM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 159 Posts

I have a 991TT a great car. I have a GT3 coming. I would not sell the TT to get a GT3.

TT is great everyday driver, really really fast and handles great. I drove one a Barber and I think it handles great on the track as well.

If I could only have one it would be the TT.
Old 10-01-2014, 08:30 AM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I think a used TT is a good way to go of the 2 you listed - though it's not going to be as friendly with an infant as you might think, you at least have the option.

While it's not on your list, I would consider a used 991 C2S as well, very good value car at $80k to $90k now.
Old 10-01-2014, 08:31 AM
P-Car777
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Macan turbo is not worth premium over the S for what the car is, IMO. With kids and living in NE, get a Macan S and a GT3! Just don't go nuts with options and you will be roughly spending about as much a a Turbo S!

Whole family wins and you get the "purist/race car like" 911 ;-)
Old 10-01-2014, 09:35 AM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by P-Car777
Macan turbo is not worth premium over the S for what the car is, IMO. With kids and living in NE, get a Macan S and a GT3! Just don't go nuts with options and you will be roughly spending about as much a a Turbo S!

Whole family wins and you get the "purist/race car like" 911 ;-)
I disagree on the Macan Turbo vs the S, but there is a whole thread in the Macan subforum

The Macan is less practical than you might think, Q5 i more practical due to the rear seat sliding forward/back which makes a big difference in choice of Infant seats. I can only just fit in the drivers seat of the Macan with a rear-facing child seat in it - I drive in a very upright position using the 18-ways as if it's a bucket seat.

My wife loves the Macan and we use a car seat from Germany that fits a lot better.

IMO if you're looking for a car for yourself that will be fun to drive and work with a child, I'd look into the M3.
Old 10-01-2014, 09:37 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by carcommander
I have a 991TT a great car. I have a GT3 coming. I would not sell the TT to get a GT3.

If I could only have one it would be the TT.
How can you draw that conclusion when you have not yet taken delivery of the GT3?

There are a few on here that sold their 991 TTS for their GT3 and the OP shoudl talk with them. I think from memory Sam from TX and Meteor997 you can find them on the track oriented threads...
Old 10-01-2014, 09:58 AM
AWW100
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by P-Car777
Macan turbo is not worth premium over the S for what the car is, IMO. With kids and living in NE, get a Macan S and a GT3! Just don't go nuts with options and you will be roughly spending about as much a a Turbo S! Whole family wins and you get the "purist/race car like" 911 ;-)
I like this thought. I have a A8 now and my wife will not give up the space she has now and go to a Macan. She found the back space very uncomfortable.

And yes, I came from a F car that had a HGTC package so relatively a TT is very quiet. Some turbo weeeee kicks in now and then but that's all. Never driven the GT3, don't know how it sounds in real life but at least it has PSE.
Old 10-01-2014, 10:01 AM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 210 Posts

No comparison in sound. GT3 hands down in this department.
Old 10-01-2014, 10:03 AM
mundman
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by silverrules
I agree. With kids you need the rear seats. TT-S all the way. I had lots of fun with the TT with my daughter and her friends in the car.

6 kids?
6 kids= 6 gt3s or 2 turbos. Do that math. Oh, buy the way silver, They no what causes that now! He he!
Old 10-01-2014, 10:07 AM
AWW100
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kyrocks
No comparison in sound. GT3 hands down in this department.
Do you take your kids out on your GT3? How do you put him/her in the front? You de activate the airbags?
Old 10-01-2014, 11:46 AM
P-Car777
Instructor

Originally Posted by NateOZ
I disagree on the Macan Turbo vs the S, but there is a whole thread in the Macan subforum

The Macan is less practical than you might think, Q5 i more practical due to the rear seat sliding forward/back which makes a big difference in choice of Infant seats. I can only just fit in the drivers seat of the Macan with a rear-facing child seat in it - I drive in a very upright position using the 18-ways as if it's a bucket seat.

My wife loves the Macan and we use a car seat from Germany that fits a lot better.

IMO if you're looking for a car for yourself that will be fun to drive and work with a child, I'd look into the M3.
Hence the need to drive both, S and turbo Macan's and decide for yourself. I drove both for a few times before I came to the conclusion that an S would do just fine for me.

Nate, excellent points, I also have 18 ways and an infant seats in the back that are bordering on a tight fit, and the Macan is not exactly practical I agree, but sure is a blast to drive
M3 would also be a great choice if you do not need a SUV/AWD
Old 10-01-2014, 11:53 AM
P-Car777
Instructor

Originally Posted by AWW100
I like this thought. I have a A8 now and my wife will not give up the space she has now and go to a Macan. She found the back space very uncomfortable.

And yes, I came from a F car that had a HGTC package so relatively a TT is very quiet. Some turbo weeeee kicks in now and then but that's all. Never driven the GT3, don't know how it sounds in real life but at least it has PSE.
That's my plan, I have a Macan S and a GT3 on order. Coming from F-Car with HGTE package you will be happy you went with a GT3!!

Let your wife keep her A8, I let mine keep her SUV (she also hates the lack of space in my Macan), everybody wins!!
Old 10-01-2014, 11:54 AM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
How can you draw that conclusion when you have not yet taken delivery of the GT3?

There are a few on here that sold their 991 TTS for their GT3 and the OP shoudl talk with them. I think from memory Sam from TX and Meteor997 you can find them on the track oriented threads...
Been down this road a lot. I have been in a GT3 on the track. But, I am going to do my own personal test. LOL

My opinions are just that, not to be taken as fact. I probably should put this on every post.

Last edited by carcommander; 10-01-2014 at 12:24 PM.
Old 10-01-2014, 01:07 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,457 Likes on 760 Posts

The Turbo S is a great car. I think although the GT3 is a good DD the Turbo is even much better. Great for all year round(rain snow ect). Has backseats so great for you children for fun trips.

Now - I sold my Turbo and have the GT3. I have a 5 year old Son and when he is old enough to sit in the front seat than he can join me. Took my Wife out for dinner Sat evening and she thinks the car is "hot" but too loud for her. Perfect - now She will leave me alone

Call me selfish or whatever but I bought this toy for myself. I love looking at it in the garage when I leave to work and return. On the weekends I can hardly wait to get up on Sat. morning and take her out for a couple hours. It is a "toy". It looks the part and it brings a smile to my face when I turn that ignition key and play with her. The Turbo never brought me that type of emotion. Fast, yes, but not that exciting to drive. And do not underestimate the speed of this GT3 because it is also pretty darn fast.

The GT3 is a vey emotional car; you either feel it right away or you don't. When I look at this car it brings emotion and I do not even have to drive it

Quick Reply: 2015 GT3 or 2014 Turbo S