991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone leased a GT3?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2014 | 09:59 AM
A36Pilot
Intermediate

Nice discussion everyone. I like reading all viewpoints. Thanks.
Old 09-18-2014 | 10:29 AM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

I've never known an accountant, financial planner, or economist who thought a luxury automobile was a financially sound purchase. Once you cross the rubicon and make the acquisition the rest is rationalization from a purely financial standpoint. Cars are a depreciating asset, period. To maintain so called "investment" grade in a car means you don't drive it. Bend the fender on that GT3 or shunt it on the track and see how much of an investment you're holding.
Old 09-18-2014 | 10:31 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
if there's tax benefit thru your business, then leasing may have an edge. but that's case by case, it doesn't mean lease is better than or worse than financing or cash. it's individual's legal tax minimization issue.

buying out lease at end of 24 month then sell it. yes, i understand it. and it 's often done. but you cannot predict the future. also u are talking about the disposition strategy to minimize loss .it doesn't show lease is bad or financing is bad per se.

yes and no.
again if you have tax benefits, then different story.
but fundamentally,

financing is usually 5 years
leasing is usually 3 years

calculate the total money out of pocket in 5 yr of finance
calculate the total money out of pocket in 3 year of lease, then pay the residual in cash (PREMISE WAS THAT I HAD THE CASH TO PAY, BUT I CHOSE NOT TO). you will find the total speng in both closes are really really close. generally less than 5000 in 100k cars.

assuming u have comparable leasing and financing rates. if the manufacture is subsidizing leases (like porsche did 10 yrs ago or as bmw continues to do) then you are not comparing leasing vs financing. you are distorting the result with unnatural rates.

valid points. and that favors leasing at least academically, especially considering the cash you kept and invested. BUT the dpn risk (residual value) is calculated by a brain trust of actuaries. the are USUALLY pretty accurate ( they blew the 4.0) and when they are off. they arent off by much. and i would not buy out lease, sell privately and pocket $5000. too much work. now if i can pocket $20k, sure. but they dont usually make that big a mistake. but your point is very valid.

no nerve, but an interesting discussion however.
but as another poster stated: depn and method of purchase are totally independent.

i am just playing devil's advocate and make you all think a bit more about this topic. as an ex - banker, we create these products to confuse you and take money away from you so we can buy porsches too
Am I the only one that notices Mooty's grammar improves dramatically when he talks about money.....?
Old 09-18-2014 | 11:14 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Gef3rd
I was told the buy rate on the GT3 lease was .0020. Therefore the dealership makes additional money on anything over this money factor. I always try and ask two dealerships what their buy rate is and compare notes to see if the story is the same. The dealerships also have a sheet they use (looks like a matrix) from the leasing companies which I will ask to see to double check what their buy rate is
This is very informative. I have been told by dealerships that he GT3 has a standard money factor of .0030. Big difference. Nobody will say what the exact number will be until delivery and signing time. How do you avoid getting fleeced in this scenario?
Old 09-18-2014 | 11:31 AM
Jimmy-D
Rennlist Member

I pay cash for my toys. - Why?

1 - Because I can
2 - The only debt I carry is my Mortgage
3 - I want to OWN my car not a Bank or some leasing company
4 - And most importantly - When I hit a tree they will be sending me a check and I will not be writing one.
Old 09-18-2014 | 11:40 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Originally Posted by Nizer
Am I the only one that notices Mooty's grammar improves dramatically when he talks about money.....?
He is using his ghost writer
Old 09-18-2014 | 11:46 AM
Zucc
Burning Brakes

I think that most people that buy a $150,000 car can pay cash for it if they want to. People who are concerned about payments don't buy $150,000 cars. The question is what is the best way to pay for it, cash, finance, or lease. For me it is just math. When I can borrow money at 2% or less I finance. If lease rates were 2% or less, then I would lease, assuming the acquisition and disposition fee are in line. When rates are higher, I pay cash.

For those that are worried that the car won't feel the same, don't tell it!
Old 09-18-2014 | 12:01 PM
Jimmy-D
Rennlist Member

When I was like 10 years old; my Father bought a brand new 1979 Pontiac Firebird. It was gold and had black vinyl seats(over time they cracked) and a T-roof. Those were heavy and you would slide them in to this black cover and place them in your trunk. When I was 17 he gave me the car and I had a lot a fun especially with the roof at the Drive-ins.
I remember him telling me what I expressed in number 4 above. It just always stuck with me and it makes sense but it may not be the best financial advice but things we were told when we were young always stick
Old 09-18-2014 | 12:08 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

I suffer from car ADD, so I pay cash. Makes changing cars much more convenient.
Old 09-18-2014 | 12:09 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

From: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)

Originally Posted by Zucc
I think that most people that buy a $150,000 car can pay cash for it if they want to. People who are concerned about payments don't buy $150,000 cars. The question is what is the best way to pay for it, cash, finance, or lease. For me it is just math. When I can borrow money at 2% or less I finance. If lease rates were 2% or less, then I would lease, assuming the acquisition and disposition fee are in line. When rates are higher, I pay cash.

For those that are worried that the car won't feel the same, don't tell it!
+1, we can be smart about how to handle the financial aspects without letting that affect enjoyment of the car.
Old 09-18-2014 | 12:36 PM
A36Pilot
Intermediate

Here is a link to an interesting article:

http://www.getrichslowly.org/blog/20...ire-next-door/

Please refer to Lesson #8.
Zucc
Burning Brakes

Jimmy, I'm not sure I understand what you are saying. If I hit a tree, the insurance company sends me a check to cover my loss regardless of how I paid for the car. Why would I have to write a check?
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

A couple things to add -

- If leasing a GT3 or other Porsche with artificially low residual through a business, selling it for more than the residual will result in a capital gain.

- Leasing through a business allows you to sell the car to yourself or others through a Porsche dealer as a CPO.
Old 09-18-2014 | 12:42 PM
Zucc
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NateOZ
I suffer from car ADD, so I pay cash. Makes changing cars much more convenient.
Honestly, that's the best reason that I have heard to pay cash. The changing cars more convenient part.
Old 09-18-2014 | 12:54 PM
Jimmy-D
Rennlist Member

Zucc - I am not a finance guy but the way I look at it is if I own the car in full; and If I total it, Insurance will be sending me the check which will go in my bank account.

It the bank owns your car and you are making payments; insurance will send you the money which you will be handing over to the Bank and any additional difference

Quick Reply: Has anyone leased a GT3?