Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much attention does it get?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 11:17 PM
paver
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Seems like every long trip I make trailering my Gt3(red) to a de, somebody pulls alongside to take pics of it....while we're chugging down the interstate. I dont really get it but it happens often.
Old 09-17-2014, 11:20 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,739 Likes on 5,126 Posts

I get lots of attention at the dealership just spec'ing my GT3 ...

I can only imagine what owning and driving one would be like.
Old 09-17-2014, 11:27 PM
prestonr2010
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Speed yellow 996 GT3 always brought some attention, thumbs up, cell pics, etc. My wife got quite a laugh out of all this. 991 racing yellow a bit more i will say, have had people in parking lots snapping pics all-around and almost everyone does a head turn driving by, particularly with the loud button pushed. Laying into a 2nd to 3rd shift even at 7k gets anyone's attention within range, at 9k probably scare the pants off almost anyone within earshot, will see after break-in is done. Probably less attention than a few other cars mentioned, but not by much. Is it not part of the fun factor?
Old 09-17-2014, 11:28 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,806 Likes on 1,101 Posts

Gt cars get attention but mostly from enthusiasts who can tell from other 911. In wild colors they are showy. I love my stealth mode rs. I still get more attention than I prefer. Usually just pics or thumbs up. Although some hot British sounding woman at a stop light on pch last week asked if I'd "give it a rev". That was a first.
Old 09-18-2014, 10:11 AM
SanDiegoDavid
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 60 Posts

I get a fair amount of attention here is SCAL. A new one for me was while I was sitting at a stop light a beautiful mid-twenties blond girl pulls up next to me in a BMW 1 series and yells: "your car is just so sick, have you tracked it?!". I was a shocked and flattered at the same time.
Later, she probably mentioned to her girlfriends the cool GT3 she saw being driven by an old guy!
Regardless it made my day.
Old 09-18-2014, 11:28 AM
manitou202
Burning Brakes

Received 408 Likes on 159 Posts

It seems like a lot of it has to do with location. When I lived outside of Detroit and drove a 930 Turbo, I would occasionally get a thumbs up or someone asking a question at the gas station. But overall, very little attention. Now that I live in Colorado, where sports cars and Porsche's are rare, I feel like a celebrity in my new Cayman. I feel like ducking down at stop lights. I even had a buddy start telling me about the sweet blue Porsche he was just driving behind over the weekend. I took him in the garage and he was like "Holy ****! That was you?"
Old 09-18-2014, 12:28 PM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,018 Likes on 283 Posts

I'm amazed at the variety of responses on this thread - from "a 911 is a 911" to "A hot mid twenties blonde said my car is sick". Dare I say... the driver has something to do with it? ;-)

Well - the "Florida Highway" pulls out of Emden today folks - and I believe "Backdraft" is on the boat!
Old 09-18-2014, 01:57 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
It's the young women that take their panties off and throw at my car that really ticks me off. It causes micro marring.
+1. I make sure they are wearing microfiber panties first, and even then, only allow them to contact my clear bra.

--------------------

Anyway, much, much less attention than my Ferrari. The fiat was a PITA. People riding your blind spot taking pics, people standing around it when I come out from a restaurant etc etc.

Car enthusiasts tend to check out the GT3, and non car people may comment now and again on it being a cool car. Most of the attention seems to be when I'm driving and a pedestrian or another car with their windows down can hear the exhaust note. Heads tend to snap around to see WTF is making that noise.
Old 09-18-2014, 06:40 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,224 Likes on 603 Posts

Originally Posted by montoya
Don't get it, but we also have bicyclists and pedestrians that deliberately cross traffic without looking or stopping because how dare you use the road with such a socially irresponsible mode of transportation.
Oh, if we are talking about bicyclists, then I have a funny story. I'd driving up the hill near my house on a 25MPH road, leisurely going at about speed limit, 30MPH tops, 2nd gear or so to keep the engine in revs and give a friend with me a bit more of an experience. We pass a small group of bikers making the slow climb, and they all go "slow down! slow down!" My friend makes a remark that it's probably the car is loud because we are driving speed limit and giving them 10ft of space, and we forget about them. About 10 minutes later, we are driving downhill (same road, same speed) and those same bikers blow past us going easily over 40MPH, promting a long conversation about hypocrisy and sense of entitlement in our society. Anyway, this is all insignificant.
Old 09-18-2014, 10:42 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, it's all relative. I get the occasional thumbs up and the infrequent iPhone pic but outside of that, the car seems to blend in with other 911s, to the public. I took delivery of my BMW i8 today and that is way too much of an attention getter. UPS guy took a detour to snap a pic for his son, the entire Porsche sales people at my local dealership got out for a photo shoot (after all, I went there to show off), and when I took it to the tinting place, all of the installers there got their phones out for pics. I personally don't mind a little car attention but this is over the top. By comparison, the GT3 is not noticeable. Sorry, side tracked a little but I really love my i8. My wife said it's the most awesome car I have ever owned. Back to the GT3...
Old 09-18-2014, 10:51 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
Well, it's all relative. I get the occasional thumbs up and the infrequent iPhone pic but outside of that, the car seems to blend in with other 911s, to the public. I took delivery of my BMW i8 today and that is way too much of an attention getter. UPS guy took a detour to snap a pic for his son, the entire Porsche sales people at my local dealership got out for a photo shoot (after all, I went there to show off), and when I took it to the tinting place, all of the installers there got their phones out for pics. I personally don't mind a little car attention but this is over the top. By comparison, the GT3 is not noticeable. Sorry, side tracked a little but I really love my i8. My wife said it's the most awesome car I have ever owned. Back to the GT3...
Congrats on the i8!
Old 09-18-2014, 10:55 PM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by sgroer
I'm amazed at the variety of responses on this thread - from "a 911 is a 911" to "A hot mid twenties blonde said my car is sick". Dare I say... the driver has something to do with it? ;-)

Well - the "Florida Highway" pulls out of Emden today folks - and I believe "Backdraft" is on the boat!
Sean

" Backdraft " how fun ! great name
Old 09-18-2014, 10:56 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 0Q991
Congrats on the i8!
Thanks. I never understood the comparos to the 911 C4S until now!
Old 09-18-2014, 11:19 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,739 Likes on 5,126 Posts

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
Thanks. I never understood the comparos to the 911 C4S until now!
Congrats on the i8!

What do you think of it so far?
Old 09-18-2014, 11:41 PM
KenU
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

How about some pics? Thanks

Quick Reply: How much attention does it get?