Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If You Have Full Leather Option ....

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 04:19 PM
rubbaman
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

^^ thats what I was thinking. And if they break it, it should be covered under warranty because it is a factory part installed by a factory service tech?
Old 09-15-2014, 04:25 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by NateOZ
I think people are so worried about 6 lbs of leather but forgetting about the 40+ lbs that the AC system weighs. I'm also assuming the 991 GT3 doesn't have a separate electric power steering pump? That's a 8-10 hp parasitic load you can remove by buying a separate pump. It's still a long way from a race car, even when you skip all the options.

I considered buying a zero option GT3 and turning it into a dedicated track car, but I estimated I would have ended up at around $200k to $210k all in - at that point you are very close to a 991 GT3 Cup.
Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Not sure what you mean by an electric power steering pump. There's no pump for the power steering at all, just an electric motor, so there is no parasitic load.
I think this mistakes the street car electric assist with the race car electric driven pump for hydraulic assist.
In any case, each electric ancillary will impose some load on the battery or alternator. It can be momentarily relieved (using the battery instead of loading the engine with the alternator, as I imagine Porsche is doing ... better to have a 5lb heavier battery than an alternator dragging 5hp off the top of a 475hp engine right when you don't want any flickering of bulbs ...) but I think the only real cost, other than the battery, is the unsprung weight of the screw-jack actuators that flex the rear toe angle. (this also reminds me as to why the turbo gets more angle of deflection than the RS ... surely more is more? ... and some reports say the turbo is "better" than the RS in this regard ...)
Old 09-15-2014, 05:01 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
I think this mistakes the street car electric assist with the race car electric driven pump for hydraulic assist.
In any case, each electric ancillary will impose some load on the battery or alternator. It can be momentarily relieved (using the battery instead of loading the engine with the alternator, as I imagine Porsche is doing ... better to have a 5lb heavier battery than an alternator dragging 5hp off the top of a 475hp engine right when you don't want any flickering of bulbs ...) but I think the only real cost, other than the battery, is the unsprung weight of the screw-jack actuators that flex the rear toe angle. (this also reminds me as to why the turbo gets more angle of deflection than the RS ... surely more is more? ... and some reports say the turbo is "better" than the RS in this regard ...)
Sorry, my tech was explaining it to me one day and I probably misremembered the details. I know in the Gen 2 Cayman it's using engine draw, I have no idea on what they're doing in the GT3 (nor Gen 3 Cayman).

Quick Reply: If You Have Full Leather Option ....