Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If You Have Full Leather Option ....

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 06:17 PM
promocop
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine. I love it. I actually passed on a GT3 that didn't have it. Cleaning is easy. Towel with soap. Soak for 5m all the grease goes by by. Knock yourself out. Go full leather.
Old 09-15-2014, 01:26 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,628 Likes on 2,313 Posts

indeed, the car is the key
all other stuff is your choice. fully loaded or barely optioned, will not change the CAR.
Old 09-15-2014, 08:37 AM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 911dev
Understood. Question; did you get Nav? Any other options? Kind of makes my point relative to my first reply. Nav belongs on a GT3? Faux carbon? All great choices, just saying.
You cant see Nav, it comes inside the car. I did switch the aluminum trim to carbon fiber, to match the backs of the lightweight seats. That trim is already there so you have to pick something, and the aluminum looks more bling/bright to me. But your point is true and well taken. Like I said in my post, I am sort of a poseur/flake on this point because I am sure that most of you could outdrive me on a track. I just see the GT3 at its best in more race car/stripper mode, but that is definitely nothing more than my own personal opinion...
Old 09-15-2014, 09:40 AM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
You cant see Nav, it comes inside the car. I did switch the aluminum trim to carbon fiber, to match the backs of the lightweight seats. That trim is already there so you have to pick something, and the aluminum looks more bling/bright to me. But your point is true and well taken. Like I said in my post, I am sort of a poseur/flake on this point because I am sure that most of you could outdrive me on a track. I just see the GT3 at its best in more race car/stripper mode, but that is definitely nothing more than my own personal opinion...
I think people are so worried about 6 lbs of leather but forgetting about the 40+ lbs that the AC system weighs. I'm also assuming the 991 GT3 doesn't have a separate electric power steering pump? That's a 8-10 hp parasitic load you can remove by buying a separate pump. It's still a long way from a race car, even when you skip all the options.

I considered buying a zero option GT3 and turning it into a dedicated track car, but I estimated I would have ended up at around $200k to $210k all in - at that point you are very close to a 991 GT3 Cup.
Old 09-15-2014, 09:51 AM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

QUOTE=mrsullivan;11650010]You cant see Nav, it comes inside the car. I did switch the aluminum trim to carbon fiber, to match the backs of the lightweight seats. That trim is already there so you have to pick something, and the aluminum looks more bling/bright to me. But your point is true and well taken. Like I said in my post, I am sort of a poseur/flake on this point because I am sure that most of you could outdrive me on a track. I just see the GT3 at its best in more race car/stripper mode, but that is definitely nothing more than my own personal opinion...[/QUOTE]

I think we are saying the same thing. This would be much easier over a few Martinis, Peronis, Heradura, whatever!

All I mean is these cars ARE gt3s no matter how they are optioned. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. The essence of the car comes through whether it has full leather, carbon, Nav, or none of the aformentioned.

I was initially responding to inferences made by another that the car is less of a gt3 because it has full leather. No option makes the car less of what a gt3 is, unless of course removing the wing.
Old 09-15-2014, 10:11 AM
Scorponok
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
I pulled it off the other day. Much nicer without it.
Would love to see pics of this if you don't mind sharing?
Old 09-15-2014, 11:09 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 350 Likes on 212 Posts

Full leather is nice. I don't think speccing it should be judged in terms of weight or chest hair. Strippers are nice in terms of value. You can't beat an 135K GT3 for the price of a C2S with some options.
Just my 2 c...
Old 09-15-2014, 11:20 AM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by k997
Would love to see pics of this if you don't mind sharing?
I can't wait to see what it's looks like but I must say removing wing is definately removing the racing DNA from car....no GT3 should be caught naked on the roads, poor car will be embarrassed to be in public ha ha
Old 09-15-2014, 11:24 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,092 Likes on 1,009 Posts

http://www.zero2turbo.com/2014/08/po...rear-wing.html
Old 09-15-2014, 12:49 PM
promocop
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

True
Old 09-15-2014, 01:43 PM
Scorponok
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 42 Posts

Thanks for finding this ... It kinda looks weird? Like it's missing something. It's unnatural without the wing. I'd love to see what a white one w/o the wing looks like.
Old 09-15-2014, 03:35 PM
LAGinz
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As OP, just wanted to report back. All the responses were very helpful . Finally decided to go with the "full leather" without the added leather options (except for the leather steering wheel ). Thanks !!
Old 09-15-2014, 04:08 PM
rubbaman
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Speaking of full leather, has anyone bought any dash trim replacement from suncoast i.e. leather and
removed the stock and replaced it themselves? Or is this something that would be best done by the dealer and bring the part to them for removal and install?
Old 09-15-2014, 04:15 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by rubbaman
Speaking of full leather, has anyone bought any dash trim replacement from suncoast i.e. leather and
removed the stock and replaced it themselves? Or is this something that would be best done by the dealer and bring the part to them for removal and install?
I've done some fiddling with the 991S and various 997's. The cabin trim is easily broken at the clips. Better to let them fiddle with spudgers and deal with breakage or scratches for the most part. Some cabin trim is easily removed around the dash and console, doors and so on. Other bits are just annoying difficult and require force that has to be correctly applied. It's not like the old 964 / 993 days when everything had a one inch screw through boron steel ... : )
Old 09-15-2014, 04:17 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by NateOZ
I think people are so worried about 6 lbs of leather but forgetting about the 40+ lbs that the AC system weighs. I'm also assuming the 991 GT3 doesn't have a separate electric power steering pump? That's a 8-10 hp parasitic load you can remove by buying a separate pump. It's still a long way from a race car, even when you skip all the options.
Not sure what you mean by an electric power steering pump. There's no pump for the power steering at all, just an electric motor, so there is no parasitic load.

Quick Reply: If You Have Full Leather Option ....