Sponsored by:

Saw my first 991 GT3 this weekend at WGI

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 12:43 AM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
Personally, I wouldn't use the Hoosier R6 on a 911, especially a powerful one. Have heard of or myself seen too many incidents where the tire failed, sometimes catastrophically. Combined stresses due to high lateral load, high vertical load in rear of the car, and high torque appears to cause various modes of tire failure. Similar things can happen with any tire (so inspect them carefully before every session), but failure rate for the R6 seems significantly higher than average.
I believe Trakcar was on R6s when one failed catastrophically in the kink on the last lap of the club race at Road Atlanta; shortly thereafter the RSA was introduced to the concrete wall inside the track.
Old 08-26-2014, 01:10 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

est8esq is running newly fitted R6 on 19" alloys (they clear RWS gear). We are awaiting feedback from him on his experience with these on teh track over the weekend...Youll need to use the thread search function as I cant find the posts but they are on one of our track oriented threads...
Attached Images  
Old 08-26-2014, 09:17 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,503 Likes on 2,561 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
You might be interested in the suspension review from Elephant Racing. According to the Elephant Bart there is already a lot of Cup car in the 991 GT3:

"While the GT3 is sitting here in the shop waiting for a new motor, we've snapped few pictures of the suspension and made a 991 GT3 suspension overview. This beast is more of a GT3 Cup than 991.

We've noted major differences between the previous generations of GT3 cars and the current generation of regular 991 cars."

His full review is here:

http://www.elephantracing.com/tool-b...n-overview.htm
Excellent info, thanks. I remember seeing this a while back, but didn't read it in detail back then. Suspension looks good, alignment appears readily adjustable. Impressive what they can do via PASM to meet both road and track needs.

Given that I've pretty much decided to buy the car if/when I get an allocation, I really hope the suspension works well with stickier tires, since the damping can't be adjusted and I wouldn't want to be the guinea pig to mess with spring rates (nor change the dampers).
Old 08-26-2014, 12:37 PM
tjs098
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys, Ivan directed me to this thread - I was his co-driver this weekend.

On lap times - I happened to take a few videos with my cell phone on Sunday. I've been looking through them this morning and timed a few laps at around 2m12s. Considering this was my first time in this car and first time at WGI I am happy with that, but definitely feel there is more than a few seconds left in the car.

I agree with Ivan on all his points - the power in the car was very surprising, especially out of the toe of the boot, the turn-in was sharp and the car didn't push at all that I could tell while under power and tracking out. For the PDK-S issue - again, can't be compared to standard PDK, but I will say in a few instances it drops down when I would have preferred it stayed up, but once I got used to it I would preempt the shift and manually change for that particular turn - BUT if I forgot, the change is not enough to unsettle the car it's just more of a feel thing where you need to be a little more delicate on the throttle when it does shift down. Also, as a huge fan of manual cars I will say that for the whole three days I never though about changing the gears with the paddles for an entire lap which was very surprising to me, I was expecting to want to play around with the paddle shifting, but the car did such a good job I quickly forgot about it when I hit the track.

I can't upload videos from the office, so if I get a chance I'll upload one tonight.
Old 08-26-2014, 12:46 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 202 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by IvanBurns
My Recaro seats were installed by Jerry Pelligrino at EPE here in Massachusetts. When he installed the seats in my 2012 GTS several years ago, he was able to eliminate one (or several?) airbag warning messages by changing some ECU codes.

For the GT3, Jerry said that he was not able to clear the warning that was triggered by the removal on the passenger seat weight detector. He said that to get around that problem he had to reinstall the passenger seat weight detector onto the Recaro seat. I don't know how hard that was, but it works fine!

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Thanks! Excactly what I wanted to know.

What did the Recaro's cost and the approximate cost for installation?
Old 08-26-2014, 02:49 PM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by tjs098
I agree with Ivan on all his points - the power in the car was very surprising, especially out of the toe of the boot,
Coming out of the toe of the boot was one of the places were Ivan caught me, just at the crest of the hill. Right after he passed me, I went full throttle trying to stay with him but by the braking zone, he was already bus lengths ahead of me.

On thinking some more about the apparent straight line speed differences between his car and mine (997.1 GT3), you have to consider more than just peak horsepower. Acceleration is all about the torque the car delivers to the rear wheels. In addition to the crankshaft torque specs on paper (325 ft-lb vs. 300 ft-lb for the two cars) you have to look at the engine torque curves and gearing. On my car the torque starts to drop off above 7000 rpm IIRC. Allthough I haven't seen the 991 GT3 torque profile, I'm willing to bet it maintains its torque better in the upper rpm's. Furthermore the 7 speed PDK transmission gives you an extra gear to keep you in the sweet spot of the torque curve. All this may explain why the 991 GT3 is so damn fast (in a straight line).
Old 08-26-2014, 11:24 PM
tjs098
4th Gear

Alright guys, here is a short video of one of my laps in the last session on Sunday. Sorry about the orientation, one of my more aggressive trips through the bus stop took its toll on the mount.

The lap is just over 2m11s with me slowing down a bit for a slower car in the toe of the boot - but you get to hear it drop into second which is nice. Otherwise, also note the change into third in the last turn - doesn't upset the car at all.

EDIT: I also used youtube stabilization, I don't love it, but the video is pretty shaky without it.
Old 08-26-2014, 11:31 PM
frayed
Race Car

Originally Posted by Jake951
Coming out of the toe of the boot was one of the places were Ivan caught me, just at the crest of the hill. Right after he passed me, I went full throttle trying to stay with him but by the braking zone, he was already bus lengths ahead of me.

On thinking some more about the apparent straight line speed differences between his car and mine (997.1 GT3), you have to consider more than just peak horsepower. Acceleration is all about the torque the car delivers to the rear wheels. In addition to the crankshaft torque specs on paper (325 ft-lb vs. 300 ft-lb for the two cars) you have to look at the engine torque curves and gearing. On my car the torque starts to drop off above 7000 rpm IIRC. Allthough I haven't seen the 991 GT3 torque profile, I'm willing to bet it maintains its torque better in the upper rpm's. Furthermore the 7 speed PDK transmission gives you an extra gear to keep you in the sweet spot of the torque curve. All this may explain why the 991 GT3 is so damn fast (in a straight line).
All that and likely a bit of a sandbagged motor with higher than advertised juice.

I also reckon he may have had a bit more traction at corner exit simply due to the newer chassis.
Old 08-27-2014, 12:12 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tjs098
Hey guys, Ivan directed me to this thread - I was his co-driver this weekend.

On lap times - I happened to take a few videos with my cell phone on Sunday. I've been looking through them this morning and timed a few laps at around 2m12s. Considering this was my first time in this car and first time at WGI I am happy with that, but definitely feel there is more than a few seconds left in the car.

I agree with Ivan on all his points - the power in the car was very surprising, especially out of the toe of the boot, the turn-in was sharp and the car didn't push at all that I could tell while under power and tracking out. For the PDK-S issue - again, can't be compared to standard PDK, but I will say in a few instances it drops down when I would have preferred it stayed up, but once I got used to it I would preempt the shift and manually change for that particular turn - BUT if I forgot, the change is not enough to unsettle the car it's just more of a feel thing where you need to be a little more delicate on the throttle when it does shift down. Also, as a huge fan of manual cars I will say that for the whole three days I never though about changing the gears with the paddles for an entire lap which was very surprising to me, I was expecting to want to play around with the paddle shifting, but the car did such a good job I quickly forgot about it when I hit the track.

I can't upload videos from the office, so if I get a chance I'll upload one tonight.
Great lines. You obviously are familiar with the track getting on teh gas early exiting some of the corners. I see on the 2.12 lap you probably lost 3-4s to traffic. Looks very planted tho...
Old 08-27-2014, 12:51 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,674 Likes on 776 Posts

OK, that's just fast.
Race trim very well driven 997RS on slicks is 2:05..

I've been there only one day ever and on Toyo RA1 I did 2:10+ with max 2/3 seconds left to find had I more time... Need to go back ASAP WG = unfinished business..
Old 08-27-2014, 02:08 AM
IvanBurns
Instructor

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
OK, that's just fast.
Race trim very well driven 997RS on slicks is 2:05..
Speaking of fast, did Tim mention that he is a fast learner?

What you are seeing in the video is the driving of a driver that had only three days of solo experience as a Blue driver, and no prior experience at the Glen. Incredible! Instructors noticed, and promoted him to White.
Old 08-27-2014, 02:31 AM
IvanBurns
Instructor

Originally Posted by Nick
Thanks! Excactly what I wanted to know.

What did the Recaro's cost and the approximate cost for installation?
Parts cost for the Recaro seats, seat rails, GMG Roll Bar, Schroth harnesses, fire extinguisher, and miscellaneous parts totaled about $8,000.

Labor total was 25 hours, including installation of all of the above plus installation of CAN wiring for the AiM SoloDL plus track alignment plus track inspection.
Old 08-27-2014, 02:34 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

^^^ Great stuff!
Old 08-27-2014, 02:36 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

$11K all up. Not too bad for all that work Ivan!
Old 08-27-2014, 06:44 AM
paradocs98
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
Personally, I wouldn't use the Hoosier R6 on a 911, especially a powerful one. Have heard of or myself seen too many incidents where the tire failed, sometimes catastrophically. Combined stresses due to high lateral load, high vertical load in rear of the car, and high torque appears to cause various modes of tire failure. Similar things can happen with any tire (so inspect them carefully before every session), but failure rate for the R6 seems significantly higher than average.
This surprises me. This would suggest that any fast car of moderate weight (3000-3300 lb) is a poor candidate for R6s. And yet the most common cars I see on R6s are Corvette C6 Z06s, 997 GT3s, and heavily track-prepped M3s, all of which have considerable power and moderate weight. Are you suggesting that only low-powered flyweights like Miatas are safe to run on R6s, or are you saying that the 911's rear-engine configuration presents uniquely high stresses on a rear tire?

Quick Reply: Saw my first 991 GT3 this weekend at WGI