Sponsored by:

Expert opinion needed to help my decision dilemma with GT3 vs C4s

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 06:36 PM
antoni01
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Expert opinion needed to help my decision dilemma with GT3 vs C4s

I am tormenting myself to make a decision to go with a GT3 or stick with my 991 C4s Conv with Manual! I would really, really appreciate your guys expert feedback.

Here are some points to help you understand my situation and disclaimers;
- I live in downtown Philadelphia. C4 is not a DD. I put in 3k miles in a year. I know I'm comparing apples and oranges here. GT3 is a beast on the track, and build to do that as the best in the world.
- I have driven all of the top Italian exotic on the track and off the track including 430 Scuderia. But never driven a GT3.

My 1 year ownership experience and observations with the C4s:
- The engine comes to life after 5K RPM and it gets better and better as revs up to 7,800rpm. However, for me, I need more power to satisfy my need for speed. - The fact that it is a convertible, I can't track the car to enjoy the full potential. It corners better than anything I have ever been driven.
- I hate driving the car in the city and the manual even makes it worse. However, once I get on the I-95 then I get into the 3rd and 4th gear to redline then I am thinking if the c4s almost great than probably the GT3 is going to satisfy me. it seems to me the torque is the same with the C4s but the extra 75 horses are near 9K RPM. I have to experience the 9K red line some point time. I realized that this is a very dangerous thing to do on a public highway and constantly worry about cops. This is why I am ruling out to Turbo because more power that I can't use on the on roads and the Turbo boost not great for the track. I know I am answering somewhat my questions, but I do have not any experience in tracking my own car. It seems like that is where I am heading and I want to make a well informed decision. I have done Bertill Ross several times and Daytone cars and Exocxtic Car Track Event so on.

QUESTIONS

- Can you please help me to understand the difference in driving experience with the GT3 vs c4s with all RPM ranges?
- How much the tracking the GT3 effects the resale value?
- How challenging is it to drive the GT3 in city or highways?
- Is it worth the drive car on the track without joining actual races. I don't even know what are the classes or licensing requirements?
- If I do 6 or 7 track days a year, what should I budget?
- Is this a really expensive hobby?
- Do you drive the car to far track events or is it crazy to pull via transporter?
- Do I join the SCCA or PCA in my region?

Thank you and looking forward hearing your comments. I really appreciate it.

Antonio

Last edited by antoni01; 07-31-2014 at 06:40 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-31-2014, 07:02 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 365 Likes on 221 Posts

Welcome to Rennlist!

I'm not an expert,so by starting your post that way,you've posed a challenge. Let's wait for the experts. Just kiddin'....

I might have misunderstood your post,but if you've driven the Scuderia on the track and you think the C4S is the best handling car you've ever driven...I don't know... but to each his own...

Regarding the GT3,it's the better proposition in all aspects hands down,besides being PDK IMO...and that's without driving it.
Old 07-31-2014, 07:35 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 395 Likes on 285 Posts

As far as track driving- I would say join PCA and check your local region for their HPDE program. The C4S will be fine for starting out. Fair warning- if you get addicted, yes it will get expensive.
Old 07-31-2014, 07:56 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Not claiming to be an expert but I track my C4S conv all the time no problem. Probably have >3,500 track miles. Take to the track and enjoy it. I won't presume to know your driving abilities but most Carrera's have more capabilities than the driver has ability. Nevertheless it's not a GT3 and it's hard to keep up with a GT3 around the road tracks. For track folk, the GT3 seems to be one possible path of evolution.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:00 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 198 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by antoni01
I am tormenting myself to make a decision to go with a GT3 or stick with my 991 C4s Conv with Manual! I would really, really appreciate your guys expert feedback.

Here are some points to help you understand my situation and disclaimers;
- I live in downtown Philadelphia. C4 is not a DD. I put in 3k miles in a year. I know I'm comparing apples and oranges here. GT3 is a beast on the track, and build to do that as the best in the world.
- I have driven all of the top Italian exotic on the track and off the track including 430 Scuderia. But never driven a GT3.

My 1 year ownership experience and observations with the C4s:
- The engine comes to life after 5K RPM and it gets better and better as revs up to 7,800rpm. However, for me, I need more power to satisfy my need for speed. - The fact that it is a convertible, I can't track the car to enjoy the full potential. It corners better than anything I have ever been driven.
- I hate driving the car in the city and the manual even makes it worse. However, once I get on the I-95 then I get into the 3rd and 4th gear to redline then I am thinking if the c4s almost great than probably the GT3 is going to satisfy me. it seems to me the torque is the same with the C4s but the extra 75 horses are near 9K RPM. I have to experience the 9K red line some point time. I realized that this is a very dangerous thing to do on a public highway and constantly worry about cops. This is why I am ruling out to Turbo because more power that I can't use on the on roads and the Turbo boost not great for the track. I know I am answering somewhat my questions, but I do have not any experience in tracking my own car. It seems like that is where I am heading and I want to make a well informed decision. I have done Bertill Ross several times and Daytone cars and Exocxtic Car Track Event so on.

QUESTIONS

- Can you please help me to understand the difference in driving experience with the GT3 vs c4s with all RPM ranges?
- How much the tracking the GT3 effects the resale value?
- How challenging is it to drive the GT3 in city or highways?
- Is it worth the drive car on the track without joining actual races. I don't even know what are the classes or licensing requirements?
- If I do 6 or 7 track days a year, what should I budget?
- Is this a really expensive hobby?
- Do you drive the car to far track events or is it crazy to pull via transporter?
- Do I join the SCCA or PCA in my region?

Thank you and looking forward hearing your comments. I really appreciate it.

Antonio
A C4 has a numbing driving feel given it is AWD car. it will not have the torque of the GT3 nor the sensory experience throughout the RPM ranges.

It is fairly assumed that GT3's have been tracked. it is the purpose of the car. Value should not be affected.

The GT3 is PDK-S so it is easier to drive in the city or on the highway compared to a manual.

You don't need competition on the track to enjoy the car. Time will be your standard. Many prefer that over racing against other cars. To fully enjoy the GT3 you need to track it because there are few safe places on public road to find out what the car can do.

Budget for 7-8 track days is a very personal issue. For an example, most insurance policies do not cover track accidents. You either choose to run self insured or buy a policy each time you take the car to a track. Also, depending on how you drive will dictated tire wear and expense. Tracking frequently requires you to do servicing on the car to keep your warranty.

Unless the car is severely modified the whole point of a Porsche is you drive it to a track and don't need a transport.

Join the local chapter of the Porsche club in your area. They have regularly schedule events.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:03 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I am no expert, just another car / track addict. I am on a 12 step program that started with a three day driving school and has now progressed to a dedicated track car with a full roll cage.

While you provided a little insight into your current ownership experience; I am not sure exactly what you want.

Do you want to learn to drive on the track? Is it a passing thing you would like to try, like a bucket list item? Or do you have the driving desire to race?

I have been down the high horsepower street car route, having owned a 2010 Corvette ZR1 making 640hp. Sounded good, fast, but not the nimble fun of a 911 or Cayman. I had a 2008 Corvette Z06 making 505 NA hp that I really enjoyed more.

For starters find out which of your local clubs allow convertibles in their HPDE events and take your current C4S to the track. Be sure to prep it including mechanical inspection, brake inspection, change brake fluid with a good high temp fluid. Depending on your risk threshold you may want a track insurance policy that covers you while at the event.

If you then decide you want to track heavily or race then you really should buy a dedicated track car that you afford to replace if you total it. Lots of folks are tracking very expensive street cars, pushing to 10/10ths, and without proper insurance coverage will take a huge hit if they have a major off. If you go the route of a dedicated track car and get some good experience you can always back it down to 6/10ths and run an event or two in your street car and still be very fast since you'll already hhave a good skills base (e.g. your 6/10ths will be faster than most guys who are pushing their limits).

A GT3 is more about the package than it is about more power. I was just reviewing the Elephant Racing 991 GT3 suspension overview with a buddy. The GT cars are about the driver experience. Both the manual and now the PDK-S cars are about engaging the driver. Go drive a pre-owned one and you will know if you must have it. There will be no questiin.

Ryan
Old 07-31-2014, 08:08 PM
Hoopumpers
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Is this a really expensive hobby?
Hahahaha
Old 07-31-2014, 08:18 PM
ad_lib
Track Day

Having stacked up my Sti at Laguna Seca...yea it can be expensive. However so are a lot of things but nothing at least for me gives me the thrill of competing against myself to eek out that best time. Track insurance in an expensive car is a must, mechanical failures can happen and at high speed it can be devastating. If I had it all to do over again I would get a miata with a full cage and a top...i know i know hear me out. It costs very little, its really freakin safe with a cage in it, and if you do total it it's not the end of the world. PLUS you will learn how to be fast. If I had nickle for every time I got passed in the twisties by Miata I would be a very wealthy man. So I guess if going to the track is the agenda the go get a track prepped Miata. There are always TONs of used ones around. Get really good on track for very little cost (parts, tires, brakes, etc are all much cheaper and easier to get) and then when you feel you are ready get yo GT3 on and go nuts. But grabbing a GT3 and rolling out to the track with no prior experience is like handing a monkey a shotgun. I would say I'm a reasonably good track driver and I will take my time easing out to the track in the GT3 it's a vicious animal and I'm sure it has a very painful bite. As a street car BTW it's really intense and I haven't even broken it in yet.
Old 08-01-2014, 01:40 PM
antoni01
6th Gear

Thanks everyone for all your valuable feedback. It gives me a lot to think about.

I am not sure how much I would really get out of GT3 on the public roads. It seems to me if I don't take it to the track than the GT3 is an overkill. It is such a cool car to own.

I called Millville, NJ race track, they told me that they don't allow converts on their track. Does anyone know a track in NE that allows converts?
Old 08-01-2014, 01:43 PM
TrackFan
Banned

Put a roll bar in it.
Old 08-01-2014, 01:48 PM
promocop
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm in similar mode. Ordered a 2015 CS. Then I drove a GT3. Game over. I have came close to buying several used ones and passed on all for various reasons. Dealer wanted too much $$, too heavily tracked...too aftermarket items put on that turned in into track car. Found a garage queen, very clean DME but more expensive then the others. Make do the deal this weekend. All the above comments are valid. For ME, i did not want just 'another' 911s or otherwise for the street and casual DD. I'm getting a GT3,the driving experience is unlike any other Porsche I have owned and driven
Old 08-01-2014, 01:48 PM
antoni01
6th Gear

does it permanently leave marks on the carpet and so on
Old 08-01-2014, 01:55 PM
TrackFan
Banned

does it permanently leave marks on the carpet and so on
I'm sorry, but if you're going to worry about little details like that you should stay off the track with your car.

It would be better to keep your car as a DD, and buy a dedicated track car. Then you could also race it, and not worry about getting to work on Monday.
Old 08-01-2014, 02:17 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 395 Likes on 285 Posts

Thanks everyone for all your valuable feedback. It gives me a lot to think about.

I am not sure how much I would really get out of GT3 on the public roads. It seems to me if I don't take it to the track than the GT3 is an overkill. It is such a cool car to own.

I called Millville, NJ race track, they told me that they don't allow converts on their track. Does anyone know a track in NE that allows converts?
I still recommend you go to www.PCA.org. Find your local region, go to their web page and read about their DE program. Contact them and get started with the C4S. The car has pop up rollover protection. Yes some tracks and some DE organizers prohibit convertibles, but I would expect you can run PCA events without modification. If you do this and like it and want to continue then the comments about getting a dedicated track car make a lot of sense. Give it a try with your current car. My 2 cents. Best of luck.
Old 08-01-2014, 03:24 PM
Zucc
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just get the GT3. No one with a GT3 ever said " I wish I would have gotten a C4S".

Quick Reply: Expert opinion needed to help my decision dilemma with GT3 vs C4s