Sponsored by:

Carrara White Metallic

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2014, 12:20 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,099 Likes on 1,011 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
for those that picked white metallic, you aren't worried that it will be too elegant/pearly/metallic in a way that goes better with a Cadillac vs. a GT3? I am exaggerating of course, and not meaning to insult, I am asking the question because I have been tempted to consider this color. But just figured that regular bright white is safest and sportiest of the two whites. I have seen the white metallic on a cayenne at our dealer, but really hard to tell what it will look like on a GT3. A picture with a white GT3 next to a white metallic GT3 would be priceless.
I was conflicted for a long time, but I went with my gut feeling. The cars I have seen of course non GT3 it looked awesome in my opinion. Hell with all the pastel from PTS I think the metallic will be different and will look killer. I have never been a fan of plain white, and have they to own a plane white car. I like the metallic paints in the light, and no knock on non metallics just not my thing. My 991S is Aqua Blue which loom awesome in the light, and it think it's a PTS color now go figure that one out. Good luck with your choice ..........
Old 09-07-2014, 12:33 PM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 443 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by Tacet-Conundrum
I wish they would start offering matte colors from the factory. Hell Mercedes even offers Matte colors.

Would get a Matte Black GT3, call me crazy but I doubt Porsche would do a Matte Black on a PTS?
Just get a matte wrap - cheaper and more durable. I saw a video on the M3 Frozen Silver (matte silver) and you are supposed to wash the car each time you drive it to keep the paint in good condition. And forget about fixing paint chips or scratches, you need the car repainted. Too much maintenance and washing it isn't so easy either from what I understand. So unless you are going to put the car in a museum state and never drive it, I would think a matte wrap would be the better choice. Of course this is just my humble opinion.
Old 09-07-2014, 01:28 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mwar99
Just get a matte wrap - cheaper and more durable. I saw a video on the M3 Frozen Silver (matte silver) and you are supposed to wash the car each time you drive it to keep the paint in good condition. And forget about fixing paint chips or scratches, you need the car repainted. Too much maintenance and washing it isn't so easy either from what I understand. So unless you are going to put the car in a museum state and never drive it, I would think a matte wrap would be the better choice. Of course this is just my humble opinion.
I agree, I was having thoughts on getting the car wrapped. And if I want to I change color if the hanckering hits me! Bugatti has a Veyron that is completely wrapped in this mirror/chromed wrapping. I liked it at first but then I realized it was probably a little on the guaddy side. But the point of having a Veyron qualifies as being guaddy in the first place.
Old 09-07-2014, 01:59 PM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 443 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by Tacet-Conundrum
I agree, I was having thoughts on getting the car wrapped. And if I want to I change color if the hanckering hits me! Bugatti has a Veyron that is completely wrapped in this mirror/chromed wrapping. I liked it at first but then I realized it was probably a little on the guaddy side. But the point of having a Veyron qualifies as being guaddy in the first place.
I'm thinking of getting a matte wrap on my Rhodium when I get it. Leave it that way for a few years and take it off and have a new car underneath. And there shouldn't be too many matte silver GT3's on the road.
Old 09-07-2014, 02:02 PM
Zucc
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Metallic white with sliver wheels for me.
Old 09-07-2014, 02:08 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,673 Likes on 776 Posts

Originally Posted by mwar99
I'm thinking of getting a matte wrap on my Rhodium when I get it. Leave it that way for a few years and take it off and have a new car underneath. And there shouldn't be too many matte silver GT3's on the road.
That's what I did with my first new RS.
Matte white, after it was beat and torched to hell, completely discolored, we used it as a white board on Mancation.

After that clear bra'd the entire car again.
I doubly vinyled the car and it protected the car well for 100 or so hard track days.
Old 09-07-2014, 04:06 PM
KenU
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Zucc
Metallic white with sliver wheels for me.
Zucc,

This is all really "in the eye of the beholder", but I think that combo will be gorgeous.

I am struggling between Rhodium, metallic white and Guards Red. I'm not a fan of dark wheels and what brought me "over" to the GT3 was seeing a Rhodium GT3 but with the black 5 spoke wheels (orderable on the turbo). And it was a beautiful car. Not sure how that came to be since those wheels are not available on a GT3.

I'm thinking about the silver wheels on a Rhodium. I won't be tracking the car and this will be a third car (toy) so I'm not that concerned about too much break dust and prepared to wipe clean if needed anyway. Although I think silver wheels on a metallic white GT3 is perfect.

Again: blondes, brunettes and redheads....
Old 09-07-2014, 04:22 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Having had some previous life exposure to the automotive paint world I can tell you that flat colours at lest for the first 3-5 years of their life are so much easier to paint, blend and get an invisible repair than metallics and particularly pearl paints like the metallic white which requires the " flip" to be laid down just so like the factory pain to blend in noticeably and avoid appearing cloudy.
I think the wrapping cars thing is way overboard on rennlist and must be an American cultural trend at the moment. Went out with my track crew for a social last night with wives on a members boat in the harbour and I bought the subject up out of 25 only a few had clear film and even then only on bumper/hood. After all you are keeping the real paint you paid for underneath nice for the next guy right? Sounds wrong - why not enjoy it yourself - if you are worried about resale don't track it or even drive it just leave it in the garage till sale time......
Old 09-07-2014, 04:59 PM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 176 Posts

Even with garage and non DD all my Porsches are non metallics given the Florida sun.
Old 09-07-2014, 05:33 PM
Zucc
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

KenU, the other colors that I seriously considered were sapphire blue/silver whls, agate gray/siler, and rhodium. On the rhodium I would probably lean toward silver wheels because, like you, I am not a fan of dark wheels. On rhodium, however, the stock or black wheels might make a good contrast. Would definitely like to side by side comparisons though.
Old 09-07-2014, 10:28 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Ok, so I found these. It's not a GT3, but at least for me, helps a lot. This looks good. Making me think of doing this instead of regular white. I actually like it with the grey wheels, which I feel is what is helpful about seeing these pics. At least here, the color looks to me like Audi Suzuka Grey...
Attached Images        
Old 09-07-2014, 10:41 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,099 Likes on 1,011 Posts

Love it. It's not too bright like regular white. Has a nice character to it, and most definitely will look good on the GT3.
Old 09-07-2014, 11:05 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,463 Likes on 764 Posts

They all will look good with any color and wheel option.

Just pick what you want/like and stop reading posts about color options or you will drive yourself crazy.

Think about the inside where you will be spending most of your time. Go with the stitching where ever you see fit. I think it is a worthwhile option. As I was driving my white GT3 today I was admiring all the red stitching. Did the extended dashboard and steering column. Looks really nice and gives it that special look. When I went to pick up my car from a Detailer Sat. morning, who also coated my car with Cquartz, they could not stop gawking at the interior.
Old 09-07-2014, 11:07 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Jimmy, during my searches, I found about a 100 posts by you about color... you are in the easy seat now that you have your car

but yeah, it can definitely produce analysis paralysis
Old 09-07-2014, 11:10 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,463 Likes on 764 Posts

I am just trying to help out because I know how it can drive you crazy but I can now take a step back and look at it objectively - something you all can not do.

Wow - I am glad I do not have to do it

Quick Reply: Carrara White Metallic