Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Selling at msrp btw. ^^
Old 10-06-2014, 06:46 PM
ZachMartin
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rennlist rules

Just an FYI i am not "selling" this Gt3 and don't own it. I simply know where you can get a GT3 that is still build able
Old 10-06-2014, 06:49 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick787
Bingo Econ 101. If you recall Porsche only had the 911, and they almost went under. Now they sell soccer mom SUV's tons of them, and sprinkle in a GT3 or 911 for daddy which is the staple of the brand. Boom a cash cow of a company.
it's more than this...

Porsche has never made a lot of money on its "halo" products vs. its mainline. Examples would include cars like the 959, Carrera GT, GT2/3/RS. I am not saying they don't profit on those vehicles, just that its a small margin when you consider cost to bring to market, small volume. One of the primary reasons they build these cars is the "halo" effect it gives the brand. Why do you think someone buys a Cayenne a 100k vs. a VW for less than half the price. There is a strong brand/marketing ROI on maintaining motorsports imagery. Its what sells their mainline cars to the broader public. And that is where the margin is...
Old 10-06-2014, 08:20 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
it's more than this...

Porsche has never made a lot of money on its "halo" products vs. its mainline. Examples would include cars like the 959, Carrera GT, GT2/3/RS. I am not saying they don't profit on those vehicles, just that its a small margin when you consider cost to bring to market, small volume. One of the primary reasons they build these cars is the "halo" effect it gives the brand. Why do you think someone buys a Cayenne a 100k vs. a VW for less than half the price. There is a strong brand/marketing ROI on maintaining motorsports imagery. Its what sells their mainline cars to the broader public. And that is where the margin is...
This is very true to a degree.....but I would not agree that the GT3, and RS fall in this same category (959, CGT, 918). When you have a platform in which you are trying to make money obviously development costs are the most expensive part of the equation and the lower the volume the more difficult it becomes to go to market at a sale price that can make money for both Porsche and the dealers. The GT3 while somewhat unique in some aspects shares the most expensive to develop items with a regular 911, namely the chassis. The engine is basically a normal 911 unit that has many unique parts to it but from a manufacturing standpoint is only slightly more expensive (that is until you need to replace 785 of them).
Old 10-06-2014, 08:43 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by sccchiii
This is very true to a degree.....but I would not agree that the GT3, and RS fall in this same category (959, CGT, 918). When you have a platform in which you are trying to make money obviously development costs are the most expensive part of the equation and the lower the volume the more difficult it becomes to go to market at a sale price that can make money for both Porsche and the dealers. The GT3 while somewhat unique in some aspects shares the most expensive to develop items with a regular 911, namely the chassis. The engine is basically a normal 911 unit that has many unique parts to it but from a manufacturing standpoint is only slightly more expensive (that is until you need to replace 785 of them).
I don't know enough about the 991 gt3 data yet to say definitively, but I can tell you based on some of my consulting work that my comments are absolutely true for all GT cars prior to 991...

And BTW, I'm not saying its a blinding insight that Porsche makes more money off Cayennes, Panameras, Boxsters, etc. than they do GT cars

Quick Reply: Info. Re: New 2015 Allocations