Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991 GT3 RS die-cast model

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 11:52 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,457 Likes on 760 Posts

I am just excited to see that the RS could be a monster. Looks great and I am looking forward to the reviews, in the future, for those that are lucky to get one. I am a sports car enthusiast and these are exciting times- The GT3 saga, the new M3/M4, 458 Speciale, Corvette Z06, Viper, Vantage S ect.

We all have different opinions but lets not lose focus on all the great cars that are out there right now and how fortunate we all are to be able to weigh what bets fit our personal desires.
Old 06-17-2014, 12:01 AM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
I am just excited to see that the RS could be a monster. Looks great and I am looking forward to the reviews, in the future, for those that are lucky to get one. I am a sports car enthusiast and these are exciting times- The GT3 saga, the new M3/M4, 458 Speciale, Corvette Z06, Viper, Vantage S ect. We all have different opinions but lets not lose focus on all the great cars that are out there right now and how fortunate we all are to be able to weigh what bets fit our personal desires.
Well said. +1!
Old 06-17-2014, 01:09 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
So is there a link to this picture and where the alleged "model" can be bought? Where is the seller from and where is the model sourced? That a toy would depict the actual car complete with fine details (rather than a guess based on spy photos) likely months before the real thing has even been introduced seems, not impossible, but unlikely. I probably too skeptical....
Thanks for the links. I have heard of Minichamps and have seen the 991 GT3 model you linked to. My skepticism is partly eased, although it still seems strange to me to see the "toy" before the real thing.
Originally Posted by nash
I expect that model will turn out to be quite true... I swear I remember another car being accidentally revealed by a toy in the past, maybe it was the new Camaro (I seem to think it was an American)? You could see the scenario play out, especially when the GT3 RS is undoubtedly delayed past its original intended reveal date (which was probably around now).

To my eyes, the car looks pretty good. I wonder if it will really go graphics-less.

If it is real, you might just see Porsche release some real info ahead of schedule... that tends to happen when production images get leaked, anyway.
a car's design being shown by a toy is a very long-standing event. Toy manufacturers often get the specs ahead of time, especially when they are the "official" toy maker. I remember when BBurago was Ferrari's model maker and some F40 models were shown in a magazine before the car was introduced... this is late 80's.. when I was a kid and "scoops" and "spy shots" were an inexistent thing.
Old 06-17-2014, 01:27 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

Any news that the new motor will be run in professional motorsports? Mike
Old 06-17-2014, 02:36 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
Any news that the new motor will be run in professional motorsports? Mike
Mike, it's curious that you asked the same question exactly one week ago in the "Engine Swap Dates" thread (post 644). It's almost as though you're trying to make some sort of point, as opposed to looking for a real answer. Anyway, I suspect whatever response you received the last time you asked would still apply....
Old 06-17-2014, 02:48 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

No one answered. As simple as that. I asked again. What's wrong with that? I guess with no answers either "it doesn't matter" or " u don't care what I ask" or "it's not important". Don't u think it's a pertinent question? Mike
Old 06-17-2014, 04:09 AM
Raven 666
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 53 Posts

Very interesting.............
Old 06-17-2014, 11:58 AM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 725 Likes on 397 Posts

No one answered. As simple as that. I asked again. What's wrong with that? I guess with no answers either "it doesn't matter" or " u don't care what I ask" or "it's not important". Don't u think it's a pertinent question? Mike
Actually, it's not really a pertinent question.

If Porsche wanted to do it correctly, they would have designed an engine specifically for motorsport use, raced it and proven its' durability, then modified it and placed it in a street car.

Instead, they designed a new bespoke engine for a street car without proving its' suitability for sustained motorsport use. If said street car engine should some day get modified and put in a race car, it's not the same thing and proves nothing.

There are plenty of cars with 'race proven' engines out there. If that's important to you, buy one. You want a nice street car, there are plenty of those too.
Old 06-17-2014, 01:08 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Don't be disingenuous. Anyone who has been paying any attention to this board knows the answer to the question you asked, which is why there were no replies. As we have been reminded dozens (hundreds?) of times there is no word of the 9A1 being used in top tier motorsports and IMHO there is only one explanation for why some people repeatedly bring it up. It's not a genuine quest for information, it's a way to apply the needle, and with all due respect, you know it.

I do hope the 9A1 is raced if for no other reason other than to stop hearing about this particular complaint. For me, the bottom line is whether the car is successful as a street and sometimes track car, which is why I bought it. If the engine develops a racing heritage (the chassis already has) that would be great, but I don't need those specific bragging rights as long as the car overall meets my expectations.

For others, apparently, that's a deal breaker. Fine. In the hands of a comparable driver, when a 991 GT3 with it's superior power and chassis passes you on track (and it will) you can console yourself with the thought, "Yeah, but my car has a RACE engine".......
Old 06-17-2014, 01:45 PM
cbweaver1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't be disingenuous. Anyone who has been paying any attention to this board knows the answer to the question you asked, which is why there were no replies. As we have been reminded dozens (hundreds?) of times there is no word of the 9A1 being used in top tier motorsports and IMHO there is only one explanation for why some people repeatedly bring it up. It's not a genuine quest for information, it's a way to apply the needle, and with all due respect, you know it.

I do hope the 9A1 is raced if for no other reason other than to stop hearing about this particular complaint. For me, the bottom line is whether the car is successful as a street and sometimes track car, which is why I bought it. If the engine develops a racing heritage (the chassis already has) that would be great, but I don't need those specific bragging rights as long as the car overall meets my expectations.

For others, apparently, that's a deal breaker. Fine. In the hands of a comparable driver, when a 991 GT3 with it's superior power and chassis passes you on track (and it will) you can console yourself with the thought, "Yeah, but my car has a RACE engine".......
LOL! Well put.

Try reverse psychology on some of these folks. For instance, maybe Porsche is selling the street version first for purposes of homologation and then launching the Cup powered version later. OMFG what a revelation! If that is in fact the case, you'll see many jumping on this power plant so they can drop that line at the next Cars and Coffee meetings.
Old 06-17-2014, 01:52 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

U think I care if any 991 gt3 passes me. I don't. Hell lotta cars pass me but never I say "well I got a race engine". As stated before I want this motor to be raced. Yeah I admit I kinda like to watch cupcars/rsr's racing and its neat that the old motor is still being used and it has some ties to the street cars and would like to expect the 991 gt3 9a1 to do the same. Don't u think watching you're new motor run in professional motorsports? Hell it makes it more enjoyable. I have no hidden agenda just to let u know. Just want to know is there any news. One poster says its not pertinent and you bulldozing me. Wth? Mike
Old 06-17-2014, 01:57 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Another question for those who got their cars and are running- did you get a detailed info about the fix other than what was said in the past ie bolt. If not will there be an official detailed info in that regard by PAG? Mike
Old 06-17-2014, 02:07 PM
ScottKelly911
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I think what happened here is that Minichamps was given a date that Porsche would unveil their GT3RS and then shortly afterward or coinciding with, then Minichamps would be allowed to release their toy. Of course those dates were previous to the GT3 engine debacle and the pushing back of the GT3RS release. I think someone at Porsche forgot to ask Minichamps to also delay their release date. Viola here we are with the release of the Mini hamps version before the real car. I love the styling and hopefully now that this happened, they'll just go ahead and finally formally debut the RS soon.
Old 06-17-2014, 02:11 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,018 Likes on 2,838 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottKelly911
I think what happened here is that Minichamps was given a date that Porsche would unveil their GT3RS and then shortly afterward or coinciding with, then Minichamps would be allowed to release their toy. Of course those dates were previous to the GT3 engine debacle and the pushing back of the GT3RS release. I think someone at Porsche forgot to ask Minichamps to also delay their release date. Viola here we are with the release of the Mini hamps version before the real car. I love the styling and hopefully now that this happened, they'll just go ahead and finally formally debut the RS soon.
Sounds plausible to me. The release of the car and specs is going to be very exciting - I'm expecting it to be a real winner.
Old 06-17-2014, 03:08 PM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Received 635 Likes on 304 Posts

Just FYI to back up 996FLT6's comments, there was absolutely no talk of a new 9a1 based motor this weekend in Lemans and trust me I was asking! Don't know if its b/c of the FIA not really finalizing sanctions for 2015 but if you are waiting for the 9a1 to be raced you might be waiting a very very long time! Whether its b/c of sanctions or not I have to go back to them even in the Supercup wasting money fitting the old Metzger into a 991 Cup that was never developed to use that motor! Seems kinda odd-no?

Quick Reply: 991 GT3 RS die-cast model