Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PTS 991 GT3 Colors

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 11:16 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

I may be the only contrasting voice in the as-yet unknown but immense and soon to become public underground group of enthusiasts who will express an outright and powerfully vocalized appreciation for lime gold metallic...

But I think it's fugly.

All joking aside, why does Porsche make an owner jump through crazy PTS hoops for clearly popular colors like Mexico blue and all the other mainline colors, and then it offers this hue which only a mother could love as standard? Doesn't make sense unless this the German version of a practical joke... In which case.. Not funny guys.
Old 07-20-2014, 12:36 PM
azzurri
Racer

Received 158 Likes on 95 Posts

I happen to be with you on that one. Didn't like it when it came up on the list earlier in the year for whatever other model it displayed on the configurator. Not sure how popular it will be bit if one likes it, no problem. Wouldn't be in my top 10 list.
Old 07-20-2014, 01:39 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts
Default 'Lime Gold Metallic'...

Originally Posted by CAlexio
I may be the only voice...But I think it's fugly.
You are not alone!

All joking aside, why does Porsche...offers this hue which only a mother could love as standard? Doesn't make sense unless this the German version of a practical joke... In which case.. Not funny guys.
German color tastes have always been different from those in the US. But that is true in all parts of the world - taste vary. You can go through the history of colors offered by Porsche on their models and detect a clear pattern of colors that were popular in The Fatherland which were not necessarily popular in the US or ROW. But that is their prerogative...it's a German company and they should have offer some colors that appeal specifically to what they perceived as 'attractive' in the home turf! What I call 'Wehrmacht green' comes to mind...they find it attractive and who are we to question it!

Originally Posted by azzurri
I happen to be with you on that one. Didn't like it when it came up on the list earlier in the year for whatever other model it displayed on the configurator. Not sure how popular it will be bit if one likes it, no problem. Wouldn't be in my top 10 list.
Perhaps I misunderstood what you are trying to say, but 'Lime Gold' has been on the 991 color roster since it's introduction as a late MY2012 in the fall of 2011. While other intro colors, such as 'Cognac', 'Ruby Red Metallic', 'Basalt Black Metallic' & 'Carrara White', are not longer offered on the current MY2015 991, 'Lime Gold' has been kept!

But you can bet it will be 'gone' with the MY2016 face-lift, as new colors & new interior combinations will be offered. Part of the reason why 'Lime Gold Metallic' has lasted this long as a 991/981 color offering is that Porsche also coordinated specific leather interiors & deviating stitching color for it on some models (mostly in the 981 Boxster & Cayman). That part is harder to change than a simple 'blowing out' of the spray nozzles & insert a new color 'cartridge' at the robotic paint stations at the factory!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Attached Images   
Old 07-20-2014, 03:41 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,596 Likes on 2,340 Posts

I may be the only contrasting voice in the as-yet unknown but immense and soon to become public underground group of enthusiasts who will express an outright and powerfully vocalized appreciation for lime gold metallic...

But I think it's fugly.

All joking aside, why does Porsche make an owner jump through crazy PTS hoops for clearly popular colors like Mexico blue and all the other mainline colors, and then it offers this hue which only a mother could love as standard? Doesn't make sense unless this the German version of a practical joke... In which case.. Not funny guys.
+1
Old 07-20-2014, 04:31 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

The very concept of "allowed PTS colors" sounds like an oxymoron to me. If it's paint TO SAMPLE, they should match and paint the car to whatever sample I bring. What's the point of offering "basic", "extra/optional", and "allowed PTS" colors when they are all "allowed" one can only get an "allowed" color anyway? "Allowed PTS" is more like "super-duper extra/optional". Maybe PAG next comes up with "basic PTS", "exclusive PTS" and "super-exclusive PTS" colors -- all "allowed", of course, but each step of higher exclusivity costing $2k+. The pinnacle "super-exclusive PTS" would cost $12k and would only be available to order for two hours after midnight on April 1 of every year.
Old 07-20-2014, 05:59 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Default Paint-to-Sample is not an Oxymoron!

Originally Posted by hf1
The very concept of "allowed PTS colors" sounds like an oxymoron to me. If it's paint TO SAMPLE, they should match and paint the car to whatever sample I bring...
hfi's comments sound a lot like something Mr. Blue44 recently posted in another thread. Good...because it allows me to repeat the response I carefully prepared for that 'comment'. Plus I can post once again one of the sexiest photos in the planet. So hfi, here is looking at you kid!

Originally Posted by blue44
seems like the approval process makes it more like " extra charge colors " rather than " paint to sample ".
No, take a closer look at the list: 'Glasurit Colour SB272.20', 'pantone 296C', etc. It can match the gloss lipstick of your wife...if you want it to! Just send Porsche a sample of that lipstick's color painted on a piece of metal, plus an order for an expensive Porsche model (e.g. 991, 981) which includes the $5,500 option! Then just sit back and hope its approved! Voila. It's truly 'Paint-to-Sample'...if you have the 'cojones' to take it there!

However, most of us are satisfied with getting a vintage, heritage color from Porsche's past, like the elegant 'ModeGrau' or the captivating 'Viper Green', to make our 991/981 feel pretty unique & bespoke! But it took someone with a vision & a desire...plus an actual custom order...to get each & everyone of these 'colors' on the approved PTS list! That is how this PTS list has been put together...and that is how this PTS list is growing in possibilities with each passing month!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Attached Images  
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
PTS List.pdf (121.2 KB, 225 views)
Old 07-20-2014, 08:33 PM
<3mph
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Personally, I'm not a fan of lime gold but glad to see that photo from Oz. Now that I've seen it, I'm not sure I like it any more unfortunately. Strangely, I only noticed just now in the photo posted by JasonAndreas, that there's what looks to be a lime gold car in Davisville, RI that was stuck in port! (And no, I don't think it was photoshopped!) I guess at least one person in America likes it too!!
Attached Images  
Old 07-20-2014, 08:58 PM
Reza
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by <3mph
Personally, I'm not a fan of lime gold but glad to see that photo from Oz. Now that I've seen it, I'm not sure I like it any more unfortunately. Strangely, I only noticed just now in the photo posted by JasonAndreas, that there's what looks to be a lime gold car in Davisville, RI that was stuck in port! (And no, I don't think it was photoshopped!) I guess at least one person in America likes it too!!
The scary thing about the Australian car, is that Lime gold metallic is an AUD $6K option... Someone has paid a lot of money to make it look that way. Personally I hate it, but each to their own. Resale value will be interesting, highly unfavourable I'm assuming
Old 07-20-2014, 09:06 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,596 Likes on 2,340 Posts

its vile.
Old 07-20-2014, 09:27 PM
allans
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow! I first saw Lime Gold about two years ago on a PCNA Company car. I thought it looked good but no one else at the dealership did. When I inquired about ordering it on the then new GT3 they advised strongly against it. Hmmm. Allan
Old 07-20-2014, 11:21 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Ok, so we need a proper ferrari red added to the list, the deep red which makes your eyes bleed with lust.. But we can't tell Porsche that it's ferrari red, so we need to think of a catchy new name... We can call it "boy's dream red" or something similar which totally throws Porsche off the scent.
Old 07-21-2014, 03:57 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Ok, so we need a proper ferrari red added to the list, the deep red which makes your eyes bleed with lust.. But we can't tell Porsche that it's ferrari red, so we need to think of a catchy new name... We can call it "boy's dream red" or something similar which totally throws Porsche off the scent.
Ok, a 'Ferrari-like Red', that is 'Catchy' & 'Throws Them Off the Scent'! Let me think. Got it. Here it is: 'Off-Guard Red'. What do you think?

Originally Posted by Reza
..... Wait for it. Lime Gold Metallic on this freshly delivered car in Melbourne Australia.
Mercy!

Originally Posted by <3mph
Strangely, I only noticed just now in the photo posted by JasonAndreas, that there's what looks to be a lime gold car in Davisville, RI that was stuck in port!
Thanks for reminding us. Yes, Jason reported it back in March (see close-up photo below) in Rhode Island and that one is scheduled for delivery here in the United States!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Attached Images  
Old 07-21-2014, 09:06 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

LOL Eduardo.. But I was thinking something a bit less orange-y than guards, a bit more red
Old 07-21-2014, 09:19 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,451 Likes on 755 Posts

Ferrari red to me is what Porsche calls "Carmine Red"- This is a very deep red and I would of PTS my Gt3 if I would of had the time and knew about this color. Saw it on Panamera GTS - Over the top
Old 07-21-2014, 10:14 AM
BigT
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice collage <3mph.
Could you please name the colors in order, or at least the 4 silver/grays and the deep red (metallic I believe)?
thanks.Tom

Quick Reply: PTS 991 GT3 Colors