GT3 Clearance. Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 01:45 AM
qbix
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default GT3 Clearance. Please help!

Hi guys!

I am deciding on ordering the GT3 and the only thing that stops me from doing it is that I am not sure if I would be able to drive it to my underground garage. I can't imagine getting the car and not be able to park it on my parking place!

I managed to check that the approach angle of GT3 is 5,8 degrees. With the front lift axle system the clearance is 120mm. It is easy to calculate that the approach angle with the lift system is approximately 7,5 degrees and the front overhang should be around 915mm. The 120mm clearance is not a problem. The long overhang is what worries me
The approach angle doesn't say much to me as most of the driveway are at much higher angles like 20-35 degrees but they have smooth transitions.

Do you have any idea how to check if I would be able to drive this car to my underground garage?
If I can clear an obstacle with regards to the approach anlge does it mean that I will be fine with the ramp breakover angle which is also very small in this car?

Presently I drive E92 M3 with competition package and don't need to approch my driveway at an angle if that could help.

Thanks for help!
Old 05-28-2014, 02:02 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,461 Likes on 763 Posts

Sell your home/condo an buy one that will accommodate your GT3 with a lift - just kidding - I think.
One thing is to consider is that do you have the room to come in on an angle on not just head first. If you can do this I believe you will give yourself some more play.
Old 05-28-2014, 02:22 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 136 Likes on 73 Posts

The GT3 is 30mm lower than a standard Carrera, 20mm lower than a Carrera S, and 10mm lower than a Carrera S with the sport chassis. With the lift giving about 30mm of additional clearance the GT3 should have about the same clearance as a base Carrera. Get your hands on a base 991, or maybe a Carrera S just to be safe and account for the deeper GT3 spoiler, and if it clears your driveway, then a GT3 with lift should also make it. At the least it will give you an idea of how much clearance room you have to play with. Your dealer would probably loan you a car for the test if he knows it might earn him a sale.
Old 05-28-2014, 11:59 AM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
The GT3 is 30mm lower than a standard Carrera, 20mm lower than a Carrera S, and 10mm lower than a Carrera S with the sport chassis. With the lift giving about 30mm of additional clearance the GT3 should have about the same clearance as a base Carrera. Get your hands on a base 991, or maybe a Carrera S just to be safe and account for the deeper GT3 spoiler, and if it clears your driveway, then a GT3 with lift should also make it. At the least it will give you an idea of how much clearance room you have to play with. Your dealer would probably loan you a car for the test if he knows it might earn him a sale.
Any scrapes so far, Mike?
Old 05-28-2014, 12:33 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 198 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by qbix
Hi guys!

I am deciding on ordering the GT3 and the only thing that stops me from doing it is that I am not sure if I would be able to drive it to my underground garage. I can't imagine getting the car and not be able to park it on my parking place!

I managed to check that the approach angle of GT3 is 5,8 degrees. With the front lift axle system the clearance is 120mm. It is easy to calculate that the approach angle with the lift system is approximately 7,5 degrees and the front overhang should be around 915mm. The 120mm clearance is not a problem. The long overhang is what worries me
The approach angle doesn't say much to me as most of the driveway are at much higher angles like 20-35 degrees but they have smooth transitions.

Do you have any idea how to check if I would be able to drive this car to my underground garage?
If I can clear an obstacle with regards to the approach anlge does it mean that I will be fine with the ramp breakover angle which is also very small in this car?

Presently I drive E92 M3 with competition package and don't need to approch my driveway at an angle if that could help.

Thanks for help!
Another option would be to simply back the car into the garage.
Old 05-28-2014, 12:46 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,461 Likes on 763 Posts

Nick - Now stop that thinking stuff!!!!! Never thought about that
Old 05-28-2014, 01:33 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by 0Q991
Any scrapes so far, Mike?
Have to confess, Tim, when I first got the car I clumsily nosed too close to a low curb without the lift up when parking and scabbed the spoiler. Fortunately, the spoiler had already been determined to not fit exactly right during PDI by my hyper-critical tech (I couldn't see the defect but much appreciated his thoroughness) so it was already scheduled to be replaced and has been.

To answer your question, the lift has so far prevented any scrapes, sometimes in situations where I know I would have otherwise had a problem.
Old 05-28-2014, 02:42 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Have to confess, Tim, when I first got the car I clumsily nosed too close to a low curb without the lift up when parking and scabbed the spoiler. Fortunately, the spoiler had already been determined to not fit exactly right during PDI by my hyper-critical tech (I couldn't see the defect but much appreciated his thoroughness) so it was already scheduled to be replaced and has been. To answer your question, the lift has so far prevented any scrapes, sometimes in situations where I know I would have otherwise had a problem.
Nice. Good to hear.

Hmmm...let's see...what other conversation topics can we drum up while the wait crawls to a standstill?

Man--August cannot arrive fast enough!
Old 05-28-2014, 05:17 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,244 Likes on 610 Posts

I have a terrible driveway - 25 degree angle without much smoothing and with a dip for drainage that makes things worse. E90 M3 (sport package ride height) was touching with aero pieces in front of wheels and sometimes with the front lip when I drove in at higher speed. In the same spot, GT3 was touching with the front lip with lift engaged just enough to make sound but not enough to have any meaningful scratches. I added a board from home depot to the drainage dip to avoid touching, but the summary is if M3 with sport package makes it, GT3 with lift engaged will almost certainly make it as well.

BTW, I would not recommend relying on backing all the way into a condo garage - rear visibility is not great with the wing, and there are no parking sensors.
Old 05-29-2014, 12:00 PM
qbix
Burning Brakes

Thanks for your inputs.

Actually MaxLTV's reply reassured me to put the deposit for the car Damn you!

I hope I won't have to park it on the street in front of my building!

Delivery date March 2015
Old 05-30-2014, 03:49 AM
mainly
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
Another option would be to simply back the car into the garage.
what about getting out?
Old 05-30-2014, 10:45 AM
qbix
Burning Brakes

What would change driving the car in back? The clearance doesn't change with the reverse gear.
I don't get this idea
Old 05-30-2014, 12:10 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

The rear is higher than the front and does not have the extended lower front lip. Getting out is not problem because the car will be inclined toward the rear.

FWIW, a friend of mine owned a CGT and had a garage that he had to drive DOWN into and would scrape the front overhang. By simply backing into the garage the problem was solved. I have done it with the Ferrari's I used to own. Of course much would depend on how steep the downward incline of the driveway is. But if it too steep it would not matter if you had a lifter. You will still scrap.

BTW, regardless if you have lifter and how careful you try to be you while using the car you will scrap the front end. It cannot be avoided.
Old 05-30-2014, 01:44 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Nick
Of course much would depend on how steep the downward incline of the driveway is. But if it too steep it would not matter if you had a lifter. You will still scrap.

BTW, regardless if you have lifter and how careful you try to be you while using the car you will scrap the front end. It cannot be avoided.
Well, if I scrape the front end I'll be unhappy, but if I have to scrap it I'll really be pissed!

Sorry Nick, couldn't resist
Old 05-30-2014, 01:52 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Oops! Maybe I am still thinking Porsche will scrap our GT3's should they encounter problems with the replacement engine.

Quick Reply: GT3 Clearance. Please help!