Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Keep the Car or opt for the Buy-Out?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2014, 07:54 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Keep the Car or opt for the Buy-Out?

Keep the Car

Opt for the Buy-Out
Old 05-17-2014, 08:29 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I think you've got to provide a little more info.

Is this for owners that have 2014's either delivered or coming?

Is this an open question for anyone to answer? If so are we talking about a Cat A car already delivered? Or a Cat B car that was at dealer, port or factory?

If we're talking Cat B was it stored inside or outside? DO you expect the car to require major paint restoration or panel repaint upon delivery?

A little more info before we can really contribute to this one.

Thanks,

Ryan
Old 05-17-2014, 08:36 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

Let's just say if everyone on rl had ordered a 991 gt3 and this happened what would u do? Mind
Old 05-17-2014, 08:53 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 91 Posts

I don't see this as a difficult decision. The 2104 will be identical to the 2015 except the 2014 will have an additional year warranty. Also, the 2014 stakeholders will also get cash amounting to thousands of dollars (possibly additional compensation) depending on the missed delivery date. There are fewer 2014s' because of the Stop Sale and probably more of the 2015s'.

The better question is why would anyone try to get a 2015 if he was a stakeholder for the 2014? Get your car much sooner, thousands of dollars, a loaner and an additional one year warranty. What is there to think about?

BTW, the only reason to hold out for a 2015 is the hope and prayer of an option allowing for sport bucket seats. IN my view, unless you are tracking regularly not worth the wait because they are uncomfortable as hell.
Old 05-17-2014, 08:54 PM
Claudef2
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine was delivered 1/18, I put 1453 miles on it. It was supposed to be repaired the week of July 7.

I said no thanks and took the buy out.
Old 05-17-2014, 09:21 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
I don't see this as a difficult decision. The 2104 will be identical to the 2015 except the 2014 will have an additional year warranty. Also, the 2014 stakeholders will also get cash amounting to thousands of dollars (possibly additional compensation) depending on the missed delivery date. There are fewer 2014s' because of the Stop Sale and probably more of the 2015s'.

The better question is why would anyone try to get a 2015 if he was a stakeholder for the 2014? Get your car much sooner, thousands of dollars, a loaner and an additional one year warranty. What is there to think about?
I think Nick sums it up pretty well, especially given the fact that with the upgraded engine parts, oil warm up light, vented fender liner and software upgrades virtually all of the changes that would have occurred with the 2015 have likely already been covered. Depreciation issues should be pretty well addressed by the compensation and extended warranty.

The ONLY argument for the 2015, IMHO, is the lack of a story associated with the car which might possibly affect resale at some point. For someone like me who plans to keep the car for a long time that is a true non-issue. Even for someone who may turn this car over in a couple of years, the scarcity and desirability of this model is going to overshadow almost all other considerations. My $.02.....
Old 05-17-2014, 09:27 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Claudef2
Mine was delivered 1/18, I put 1453 miles on it. It was supposed to be repaired the week of July 7.

I said no thanks and took the buy out.
You did not like the car?
Old 05-17-2014, 09:42 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would opt out with a zo6 or z28 - basically sit on the sidelines while it gets sorted (this is from the cheap seats though as I don't have a dog in the fight so to speak)
Old 05-17-2014, 09:51 PM
Claudef2
Intermediate

You did not like the car?
I loved the car but I now hate Porsche. The way they dealt with me, and all the GT3 owners, is a disgrace.

This was a particularly heart-breaking decision for me because until a couple of months ago, I was a big fan of the Porsche brand. This GT3 was my fourth Porsche. I have been treasurer, competition director and president of the Golden Gate Region of PCA; I have taught high speed driving to other Porsche owners at every track in California and Nevada (with the exception of the Las Vegas Motor Speedway); I have sent multiple referrals to my local dealer. This was all good fun while it lasted.

The last 90 days however have been a complete nightmare. I can understand technical issues and the reasons for a recall, these things happen. What shocked me though was the complete information blackout culminating with Porsche’s inability or unwillingness to tell me when my car will be repaired.

When they finally did I had lost patience and ordered another car (Jaguar F Type R)
Old 05-17-2014, 10:07 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't see this as a difficult decision. The 2104 will be identical to the 2015 except the 2014 will have an additional year warranty. Also, the 2014 stakeholders will also get cash amounting to thousands of dollars (possibly additional compensation) depending on the missed delivery date. There are fewer 2014s' because of the Stop Sale and probably more of the 2015s'. The better question is why would anyone try to get a 2015 if he was a stakeholder for the 2014? Get your car much sooner, thousands of dollars, a loaner and an additional one year warranty. What is there to think about? BTW, the only reason to hold out for a 2015 is the hope and prayer of an option allowing for sport bucket seats. IN my view, unless you are tracking regularly not worth the wait because they are uncomfortable as hell.
+1. Agreed.
Old 05-17-2014, 10:34 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by reidry
I think you've got to provide a little more info.

Is this for owners that have 2014's either delivered or coming?

Is this an open question for anyone to answer? If so are we talking about a Cat A car already delivered? Or a Cat B car that was at dealer, port or factory?

If we're talking Cat B was it stored inside or outside? DO you expect the car to require major paint restoration or panel repaint upon delivery?

A little more info before we can really contribute to this one.

Thanks,

Ryan
Yup. Knowing whether this is a hypothetical or a poll of actual owners will make a big difference in the response, not to mention the fact that it's anonymous. We've seen the skewing of voting that resulted in the other polls where voters weren't ID'd.
Old 05-17-2014, 10:43 PM
rubbaman
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I loved the car but I now hate Porsche. The way they dealt with me, and all the GT3 owners, is a disgrace.

This was a particularly heart-breaking decision for me because until a couple of months ago, I was a big fan of the Porsche brand. This GT3 was my fourth Porsche. I have been treasurer, competition director and president of the Golden Gate Region of PCA; I have taught high speed driving to other Porsche owners at every track in California and Nevada (with the exception of the Las Vegas Motor Speedway); I have sent multiple referrals to my local dealer. This was all good fun while it lasted.

The last 90 days however have been a complete nightmare. I can understand technical issues and the reasons for a recall, these things happen. What shocked me though was the complete information blackout culminating with Porsche’s inability or unwillingness to tell me when my car will be repaired.

When they finally did I had lost patience and ordered another car (Jaguar F Type R)
I can't blame anyone who has skin in this game for any decision they make. I can see both sides clearly. I've walked up the edge and looked over several times. Many people have thrown in the towel and some have sworn off Porsche forever. But at the end of the day, I watch one of the many videos that people have posted of the GT3 (The latest M&M exhaust one is pretty good) and I'm drooling again. I'm hanging in there. I've waited with deposit down at two dealerships for over a year and now I have to wait 5 more months. Big deal. Yeah, it will probably snow here 2 weeks after I get it, but WTF. It still is IMHO one of the sweetest cars ever built and from what people on the RL have said that have driven their cars before the Stop Sale.... I would kick myself for a long time if I bailed out. And then, when I would see someone driving one later, I would kick myself again!
Old 05-18-2014, 02:21 AM
Claudef2
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rubbaman
It still is IMHO one of the sweetest cars ever built and from what people on the RL have said that have driven their cars before the Stop Sale.... I would kick myself for a long time if I bailed out. And then, when I would see someone driving one later, I would kick myself again!
I cannot disagree. I had a 997 GT3 as my daily driver for years and loved every minute of it. The 991 ought to be even better.

It's just that for me, looking at this car in my garage every day brought up too much pent up anger. At the end of 90 days of abuse from Porsche all my love and lust are gone.

Enjoy your ride when you get it.
Old 05-18-2014, 03:07 AM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Based on the poll results, I wonder how many buy back cars will come on the market. Granted its a small sample size, but more people selling than keeping is very unexpected.
Old 05-18-2014, 06:39 AM
Fadi1
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I cannot disagree. I had a 997 GT3 as my daily driver for years and loved every minute of it. The 991 ought to be even better.

It's just that for me, looking at this car in my garage every day brought up too much pent up anger. At the end of 90 days of abuse from Porsche all my love and lust are gone.

Enjoy your ride when you get it.
As much as I agree with your frustration with Porsche, and believe me all of us had the same thoughts. I suspect, but also hope that you'll come back to Porsche again. I've driven the F type although not the R. This car has a short lived hype and in many ways feels artificial and overdone. But that's my opinion. Enjoy every ride you get or have.
Life is too short. Cheers

Quick Reply: Keep the Car or opt for the Buy-Out?