Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Observations of New Engines

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 07:47 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 202 Posts

Regular 991gt3 is subtle. The rs version with a probable huge wing not so much but still way less gawk factor than a fcar. Mike
Old 05-20-2014, 08:37 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

The GT3 may not get the attention a Ferrari does (haven't owned one) but it's hardly invisible. In my very short time with the car I've had people come up to take pics, a woman on a Harley strike up a 15 minute conversation while pumping gas, numerous thumbs up on the road, and people coming up to ask about the car almost wherever I've taken it. Maybe it's the color, but it seems to make an impression.
Old 05-20-2014, 08:41 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

^til it's parked next to a 458 or pretty much any fcar which is a good thing. Mike
Old 05-20-2014, 08:55 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

^^I don't doubt it....and as you suggest, that's ok by me
Old 05-20-2014, 09:01 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Yep. I hate gawkers. Last time driving up to track at nite saw a speeding suv try to come by me and thought it was a bunch of teenagers wanting to take pics of my stickered up 6gt3- gunned it to 140 mph because didn't want to deal with it but happened to be a local police squad car : (. Mike
Old 05-20-2014, 09:20 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 176 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
The GT3 may not get the attention a Ferrari does (haven't owned one) but it's hardly invisible. In my very short time with the car I've had people come up to take pics, a woman on a Harley strike up a 15 minute conversation while pumping gas, numerous thumbs up on the road, and people coming up to ask about the car almost wherever I've taken it. Maybe it's the color, but it seems to make an impression.
Mike, I believe the 991GT3 does have more appeal than other 911's. Certainly it has more road presence.
Old 05-20-2014, 10:16 PM
LateBrake911
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
Yep. I hate gawkers. Last time driving up to track at nite saw a speeding suv try to come by me and thought it was a bunch of teenagers wanting to take pics of my stickered up 6gt3- gunned it to 140 mph because didn't want to deal with it but happened to be a local police squad car : (. Mike
Excellent. The first bmw (535), first drive, raced a car, turned out to be an undercover cop. Guy thought it was funny and let me go.

Between the winter and stop sale, had the car out 1 night in Chicago.
2 Cayenne Turbo's tried race me

Maybe they thought it was a 911 poser w/ wing out and wanted to show their suv was faster? Whatever.. Sat night in the city . Probably drunk. I just pretended I didn't see them, went home and made some kale juice.
Old 05-20-2014, 10:33 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,184 Likes on 585 Posts

That's a bummer. Hope it was not too bad.

When I was driving from Sonoma from the last track day before stop drive, a driver of a pick up truck was trying to snap a picture of my car with a cell phone and jumped on a curb. He was lucky he was in a big truck and low speed - seemed to be no damage. But it can be dangerous in other circumstances.
Old 05-20-2014, 10:49 PM
alaint101
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

Ouch... Must have been a significant setback.
Old 05-20-2014, 11:34 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

I was extremely lucky. Local police guy was nice. Just told him I was heading up to the track and thought u were a bunch of teenagers in car- did not want to play and blasted off. He laughed when he ask me how fast were u going? I said over 100 and he said "try 140 because I was doing 100!!". Ever since then I do not speed anymore on the streets/hw. He marked me doing 80 mph and went on my way. I thought for sure car impounded/ license suspended and a nite in jail because after giving license/registration and insurance I was sitting in car for a long 15 min waiting for a tow truck. Mike
Old 05-21-2014, 02:50 AM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
mqandil - Awesome information regarding the Michelin Cup tires vs the Super Sport.

I did not buy the GT3 to be a peach on the road. I have a company car for smooth driving. From every thing I heard the car is fine for street driving. Now, there have been a few reports that some find it harsh but I also think that comes down to expectations and other car experiences. I do not want it to be unbearable but a little raw is not a problem. But, if it ends up being too harsh I will switch to the Michelin Super Sports.
How much do they cost, plus or minus, for a set of four?
Will they be an exact fit to the current Cup tires?
Will it be that noticeably different in terms of the ride?
Since I do not track this car what will I lose or gain be switching tires?
Thanks Jimmy..... Let me start by clarifying that I personally don't think the GT3 on original cup tires is harsh for my own taste but of course this comes down to personal preference, plus the quality of roads in your area. I was just making the comparison of the GT3 on cup tires vs on Michilen PA4. The ride quality of GT3 on Michilen PA4 is similar to the ride quality of my 911 4S running on P Zero tires which I think is very compliant ride and may be even on the soft side for my own taste. Only reason I went to the Michilen PA4 is because I felt the cup tires were too scary to drive near freezing temperatures and especially in the wet at these low temperatures and I did not want to wait till spring to enjoy the car, and was never because I had any issues with the ride quality. Since we are talking about the 458 special, I had the pleasure to ride in the car as a passenger on couple of occasions and I really felt it was riding much harsher than a standard 458 and I also felt the ride felt a little harsher than the GT3, but that was my prospective as a passenger, and may be a little different if I was doing the driving. Again the harshness is a matter of one's own preference and prospective and may be my observations of the Special is different than what others think.

Going back to the rest of your questions, I really believe if you switch your GT3 to Michilen super sports or even P zero the ride quality will be slightly better than riding in 911 (991) Carrera s with sport suspension and probably closer to standard 911 (991) Carrera s. Fitment will be identical providing you use the same tire size. The handling on the Michilen super sports will be certainly less than you would expect on GT3 running on cup tires but will still be much better handling than standard 911 (991) Carrera S running on the same Michlien Super Sport tires, but my recommendation is to stick with the Cup tires for the track to get the maximum capability of the GT3 and as it was intended for by the factory, but at least you have all the facts to form your own opinion. Hope this helps. Mark

Last edited by mqandil; 05-22-2014 at 01:57 AM.
Old 05-22-2014, 07:21 PM
Zeus
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

For those of you who have driven the 991 GT3 and/or the 458 Speciale; have you driven the new McLaren 650S? If so, what were your impressions?
Old 05-22-2014, 10:52 PM
mhh
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeus
For those of you who have driven the 991 GT3 and/or the 458 Speciale; have you driven the new McLaren 650S? If so, what were your impressions?
I've only driven the 650S but I have all 3 cars arriving in the next month so I'll let you know. I own a 12C Spider and had a 458 Italia for 3 years - I rate the 650S above the Italia for driving fun but I expect the Speciale will be crisper, harder than the new McLaren. The word that springs to mind with the 650S is torque - it has huge mid range shove.
Old 05-23-2014, 12:07 AM
Road Racin
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

How would you rate the 12c in between those other comparisons?
Old 05-23-2014, 12:58 AM
mhh
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Road Racin
How would you rate the 12c in between those other comparisons?
The 458 is a fraction more exciting than the 12C thanks to a sharper thottle response and nicer noise, but the 12C is faster and has a wider repertoire of skills (better tourer, better in town) than the Italia. The 650S was better than the 12C in all respects I could observe in 2 hours with the car.

Quick Reply: Observations of New Engines