Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Z/28 and GT3. Tell me why this is a bad idea

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 10:23 PM
ny991
Nordschleife Master

Received 164 Likes on 114 Posts

With the Z28, it's not how you feel, it's how you look! With the GT3 it's not how you look, it's how you feel!

The Z28 you can make you money if you want it to, but if that's not what you're looking for, what's the point?

I'd feel a lot better in the GT3 in a 1.2g turn, than having some know-nothing looking at my car wanting to meet me. (See the gold-digger thread)
Old 09-03-2014, 10:23 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by tripleblack
ortho, given the questionable lines of the Z/28 driver one can't help but conclude the term "real racer" is misleading in this case. Were you perhaps able to find out what PSM mode he was running in? Here's Conrad Grunewald from last weekend at the Glen taking it easy - his first run in someone else's Z/28 (with owner as passenger): Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKHyicV4iaM It'll be interesting to see what a decent driver in a stripper Z/28 does. No doubt we'll be seeing more on track videos in the coming months.
I should have put "real racer" in quotes like you did since those were not my words, but the point wasn't about the driver skill.

Yes. Will be interesting to see more in the future.
Old 09-03-2014, 10:51 PM
ny991
Nordschleife Master

Received 164 Likes on 114 Posts

After watching the video, the GT3 will lap the Z28. I would think a good driver in the GT3 would be doing closer to 2:00 laps.

IMHO.

Looking at speeds, I'm an OK driver, but I hit 145 in the backstretch before the bus-stop in my stock C2S. I never saw him get over 140. Looks like the Z has a problem in the Esses. I would say the times for the Chevy are all about the slicks in the turns.
Old 09-04-2014, 12:14 AM
fbirch
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Two different drivers in two different cars, one of them with completely unknown skills. It's hard to draw any conclusions from this type of comparison, even regarding straight line speed (e.g., differing entry speeds, one guy slower to get on the throttle, etc.). Randy Pobst put down a 1:36 at Barber in a Z28, which was slightly faster than his time in a GTR on the same track on the same day. MT speculated that the Z28 was making more than the advertised power. That said, some of the Z28 oil temps quoted in another thread seemed a bit alarming to me, and I'd want someone else to be the early adopter who proves its robustness on track in hot conditions. The new GT3 seems to be doing well in hot weather, but even there I'd like to see some longer term results.
Old 09-04-2014, 12:16 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,875 Likes on 970 Posts

Old 09-04-2014, 12:57 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by fbirch
Two different drivers in two different cars, one of them with completely unknown skills. It's hard to draw any conclusions from this type of comparison, even regarding straight line speed (e.g., differing entry speeds, one guy slower to get on the throttle, etc.).
True, but I can tell you my exit speed was compromised for fear of ramming him and had to wait until he started to accelerate again before I could. Even if he was slower on the thottle, you'd think that my 276 ftlb torque vs his 481ftlb would more than make up for being slow on the throttle, which is why I think heat is an issue.

Randy Pobst put down a 1:36 at Barber in a Z28, which was slightly faster than his time in a GTR on the same track on the same day. MT speculated that the Z28 was making more than the advertised power.
I wonder what the ambient temps were AND how many laps were on the car when he posted the time. I don't doubt the Z/28 can make a fast lap. I question if it can sustain that kind of power and speed over multiple laps.

That said, some of the Z28 oil temps quoted in another thread seemed a bit alarming to me, and I'd want someone else to be the early adopter who proves its robustness on track in hot conditions. The new GT3 seems to be doing well in hot weather, but even there I'd like to see some longer term results.
+1. The only thing we seem to have right now are excuses. LOL.

Last edited by orthojoe; 09-04-2014 at 01:27 AM.
Old 09-04-2014, 01:25 AM
Laguna_Dude
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 33 Posts

I would sit in one first.. they seem to be large, heavy with very poor visibility... but the idea of American muscle is appealing. Have you seen the new Z06? Looks insane.
Old 09-04-2014, 01:39 AM
fbirch
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by orthojoe
True, but I can tell you my exit speed was compromised for fear of ramming him and had to wait until he started to accelerate again before I could. Even if he was slower on the thottle, you'd think that my 276 ftlb torque vs his 481ftlb would more than make up for being slow on the throttle...
I noticed that in your video. But I can tell you from looking at data from my own car that relatively small differences in throttle application (delay in initial application, rate of rolling into it, etc.), and other factors such as shift points relative to the power curve can make a big difference in speed down the straight in the same car. So it isn't hard to believe that those same factors could reduce (or exaggerate) the gap between two inherently different cars.

I wonder what the ambient temps were AND how many laps were on the car when he posted the time. I don't doubt the Z/28 can make a fast lap. I question if it can sustain that kind of power and speed over multiple laps. .
The ambient temps were very cold (light snow flurries), which is great for engine power but not so much for tire adhesion. I'm also on the fence about the ability of the Z28 or any other new, unproven car to take a beating on a hot track for many weekends without reliability problems. I realize heat soak over the course of one session is a different matter, but one that will be answered much sooner. The Z28 is a very new car, but one marketed to the track crowd, so it shouldn't be long before we have first hand testimonials from a statistically significant # of early adopters regarding heat soak.
Old 09-04-2014, 01:52 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

I noticed that in your video. But I can tell you from looking at data from my own car that relatively small differences in throttle application (delay in initial application, rate of rolling into it, etc.), and other factors such as shift points relative to the power curve can make a big difference in speed down the straight in the same car. So it isn't hard to believe that those same factors could reduce (or exaggerate) the gap between two inherently different cars.
Your points are absolutely correct, but will counter by having you take a look at how much faster the M4 accelerated away in the same situation. I would have expected the z/28 to pull away from me at least as fast as the M4, arguably faster.
Old 09-04-2014, 01:59 AM
fbirch
Burning Brakes

Your points are absolutely correct, but will counter by having you take a look at how much faster the M4 accelerated away in the same situation. I would have expected the z/28 to pull away from me at least as fast as the M4, arguably faster.
I would agree if we knew that the driver of the Z28 was working his shifter and throttle equally as competently and aggressively as the driver of the M4. But we don't know that one way or the other, so it's tough to draw any conclusions. The good news is that your question (Does the Z28 heat soak in hot weather, resulting in a significant power loss?) will be answered definitively as these cars start hitting tracks all around the US and the videos and testimonials start rolling in.

One thing to watch out for will be a worsening of lap times over the course of one long session in hot conditions, although other factors can produce that result (e.g., tires overheating and getting greasy).
Old 09-04-2014, 02:16 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

I would agree if we knew that the driver of the Z28 was working his shifter and throttle equally as competently and aggressively as the driver of the M4. But we don't know that one way or the other, so it's tough to draw any conclusions. The good news is that your question (Does the Z28 heat soak in hot weather, resulting in a significant power loss?) will be answered definitively as these cars start hitting tracks all around the US and the videos and testimonials start rolling in.

One thing to watch out for will be a worsening of lap times over the course of one long session in hot conditions, although other factors can produce that result (e.g., tires overheating and getting greasy).
Old 09-05-2014, 12:01 AM
tripleblack
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ny991
After watching the video, the GT3 will lap the Z28. I would think a good driver in the GT3 would be doing closer to 2:00 laps.

IMHO.

Looking at speeds, I'm an OK driver, but I hit 145 in the backstretch before the bus-stop in my stock C2S. I never saw him get over 140. Looks like the Z has a problem in the Esses. I would say the times for the Chevy are all about the slicks in the turns.
See Car & Driver's Lightning Test Lap 2014.

"In turn 1 the Z/28 matched the Porsche 918 by posting 1.16g's, the highest grip we've ever recorded in the corner. Another unfunny fact, at least to Porschephiles: in the uphill esses, a Camaro topped the 918's average and exit speeds."

"The Ferrari engineers suspected that the Camaro wore "funny" tires....getting the Z/28 to within a tenth if a second of the F12's lap time. The Ferrari guys probably didn't consider that at all funny."

"Cresting the hill at 118.5 mph is serious business - that speed is faster than any other's in the history of Lighting Lap."
Old 09-05-2014, 12:13 AM
mainly
Racer

"In turn 1 the Z/28 matched the Porsche 918 by posting 1.16g's, the highest grip we've ever recorded in the corner. Another unfunny fact, at least to Porschephiles: in the uphill esses, a Camaro topped the 918's average and exit speeds."

"The Ferrari engineers suspected that the Camaro wore "funny" tires....getting the Z/28 to within a tenth if a second of the F12's lap time. The Ferrari guys probably didn't consider that at all funny."

"Cresting the hill at 118.5 mph is serious business - that speed is faster than any other's in the history of Lighting Lap."

lightning lap is a bunch of hogwash.

Z/28 matched the 918 in any way, period and you think its legit?

it aint legit.
Old 09-05-2014, 12:20 AM
Zeus
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Ferrari should know a "funny" tire when they see one. So much BS when it comes to that company, I'm biting my tongue hard.

Since you must have some insiders knowledge into the next issue of Car & Driver, what other cars of significance did they test? I take it, no GT3?

Do tell.
Old 09-05-2014, 12:27 AM
tripleblack
Racer

^ yup I merely posted parts of a recently published piece. No GT3 in the test unfortunately. This was posted earlier this evening: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...l#post11625631

Quick Reply: Z/28 and GT3. Tell me why this is a bad idea