Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will my wife like the GT3's ride quality?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 05:01 PM
devenh
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Will my wife like the GT3's ride quality?

Yes, I definitely want to track my car, but often it is a 3-6 hour drive to the track. Will my wife refuse to come with me or is the ride quality sufficiently comfortable for long drives and touring?

Thanks,

Deven
Old 03-21-2014, 05:06 PM
toplabels
Instructor

Sorry could not pass it up, I assume nobody's wife would enjoy the absence of a ride. They are grounded for mis behaving.
Old 03-21-2014, 05:20 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 196 Likes on 100 Posts

Obviously it depends on your wife. I took my wife along on one long break-in drive up the coast (200+ miles). We were in the car for 5-6 hours, no complaints. The ride is quite firm but compliant and not harsh on decent roads.

Thanks for asking devenh, nice to talk about something other than value retention and compensation.
Old 03-21-2014, 05:47 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

My wife has claimed our Cayman R as "hers," can't imagine she won't like the GT3. Mike's got it right though, depends on your wife.

Ryan
Old 03-21-2014, 05:55 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 844 Likes on 387 Posts

Hopefully not. However, if she expresses an interest in attending track days with you, try this:

Ask her if it's ok if your girlfriend comes too.

Eat baked beans, raw garlic, unpasteurized draft beer and chicken wings the night before. Warn her that your stomach is feeling 'growly'.

Tell her there is no shopping on track days.

Ask her if McDonalds for breakfast, lunch and dinner is ok.

Tell her that you have to remove the passenger seat to achieve 'corner balance stasis', but that you can put a cushion on the floor for her.

Good luck.
Old 03-21-2014, 07:40 PM
991GT3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by devenh
Yes, I definitely want to track my car, but often it is a 3-6 hour drive to the track. Will my wife refuse to come with me or is the ride quality sufficiently comfortable for long drives and touring?

Thanks,

Deven
Dear Deven,
I asked my girlfriend what she thinks about the ride quality. Unfortunately she is not a fan. Fortunately I didn't ask in advance. Got the car delivered in january. :reckon:

So this depends on the wife. But also on the way you drive it with her next to it I guess. ;-)
The GT3 is not made for bumpy roads(or everything that is not entirely flat like a track.) I don't care but women usually are not a fan. I guess she will have less difficulty when she drives it herself.
Hope this helps. I would advise you to take the car on a testdrive. Unfortunately this is not possible (due to the recall and I doubt dealers will have a test car available) If you want to know how the ride comfort is I would try to take a 997 Turbo on a testdrive and put the spring settings on 'sport'. This is very similar in ride quality IMHO. (Looking forward if others agree on this)

Originally Posted by Jamie140
Hopefully not. However, if she expresses an interest in attending track days with you, try this:

Ask her if it's ok if your girlfriend comes too.

Eat baked beans, raw garlic, unpasteurized draft beer and chicken wings the night before. Warn her that your stomach is feeling 'growly'.

Tell her there is no shopping on track days.

Ask her if McDonalds for breakfast, lunch and dinner is ok.

Tell her that you have to remove the passenger seat to achieve 'corner balance stasis', but that you can put a cushion on the floor for her.

Good luck.
Old 03-21-2014, 07:47 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,272 Likes on 619 Posts

Thanks,

Deven
Depends on the wife and on who's driving. My wife, a former pro gymnast driving only 400+HP cars for the last 7 year, said the ride makes her want to throw up when I took her for a ride. Maybe it has something to do with this:

Last edited by MaxLTV; 07-09-2014 at 06:41 PM.
Old 03-21-2014, 07:50 PM
deutschmick
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 89 Posts

My wife occasionally drives both the GT3 and 928 GT, and has referred to them as "titty-shakers".

Hope this helps!
Old 03-21-2014, 08:06 PM
mcsmcs1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
Depends on the wife and on who's driving. My wife, a former pro gymnast driving only 400+HP cars for the last 7 year, said the ride makes her want to throw up when I took her for a ride. Maybe it has something to do with this:
umm, have to ask; what's a "professional" gymnast? Like Cirque du Soleil?
Old 03-21-2014, 08:12 PM
devenh
Instructor

Well, yes, it is sort of difficult to get at GT3 test drive

The wife loves driving in an SL65, but I expect the normal setting for a GT3 will be firmer, but how much firmer? Is it harsh?

How about comparing to a 911 which I could test drive? Is the 911 sport setting comparable to the GT3 normal setting?

Deven
Old 03-21-2014, 08:24 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The wife loves driving in an SL65, but I expect the normal setting for a GT3 will be firmer, but how much firmer? Is it harsh?

How about comparing to a 911 which I could test drive? Is the 911 sport setting comparable to the GT3 normal setting?

Deven
I suggest test driving a C2/4 S with PDCC and the suspension in firm setting. The GT3's normal setting is a little softer. Definitely a daily driver comfort wise, and my wife loved it, when it was possible to drive at "normal" speeds!
Old 03-21-2014, 08:38 PM
991GT3
Instructor

Deven
I think it's very similar to the 997 Turbo on the firmer 'sport' setting.
Old 03-21-2014, 10:31 PM
Fadi1
Pro

My wife can't wait for the GT3 to come in. I know she will take it for spin occasionally....especially when I'm out of town :/
Old 03-21-2014, 11:28 PM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi Deven
It depends on the following
1- The type of wife. Mine does not mind the ride but minds getting into a low car to the ground. I would have thought my old Lotus broke her in but she still complained
2- the type of road.... On decent roads the car is actually quite pleasant, but I personally prefer firm ride so hard to say if I could be a good judge of what is acceptable.
3- the type of shoes she is riding. I suspect dressing your GT3 in Michelin Cups it will probably not ideal for wife on bad roads but ok on smooth road. However if you dress your GT3 in high heels (Summer Tire) it probably won't be much harsher than 911 (991), and on (winter tire) it had a surprisingly wonderful ride that my wife even commented on how smooth was the car.
4- finally depends on how you drive it. I suspect if you try to be Mad Max, while your better half next to you, she may not take this lightly and start looking for other options!!!

Hope this helps. Mark
Old 03-21-2014, 11:34 PM
Bluehinder
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

How far the GT3 has come. Now we're discussing ride quality for your wife? So sad.

Quick Reply: Will my wife like the GT3's ride quality?