Sponsored by:

Mesh for front wheel wells

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 10:23 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by lumber
There was a 1/2 cup of sand/gravel in the bottom of the bracket up against the radiator. Biggest rock was the size of a penny.

I think vents/slats would be better at deflecting, but due to time constraints I'm putting in a simple wire cloth with 1/4" openings. The front screen is 1/2" openings...
This is exactly what I was thinking. I saw the 1/4" wire cloth at the Home Depot tonight and thought that's ideal but am not sure how to secure the piece. Please post pics when you do it. 1/4" should be plenty good as it would be rare for a rock that big to be exactly centered to pass through at full speed. Big rocks will at least get deflected and slowed down a lot.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:42 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

F1crazydriver. I received your PM and will respond shortly.

My thoughts are that done properly this should be a "louvre" type grill (i.e. not dissimilar to Magnus Walkers signature louvre grill on his cars). Its the only way of keeping out the debris including rocks without adversely affecting airflow (there is after all a massive fan drawing air into this area).

The issue is the "road silt" that a fabric or steel mesh sheet no matter how small the holes will let in. This will build up at the bottom of the radiator and eventually "rot" it out. A louvre arrangement is the only way of deflecting ALL debris IMO.

Lumbars car has been used in snowy conditions with winter tyres. Hes done 1700 miles. I did 2000 miles in mine in December on European roads (some road grit, ice and snow on side of road but snow under tires). My radiators (what I could see of them) looked in almost new condition. Lumbar has used the car to the extreme along with the guy from Australia who holed his on the track. IMO the current arrangement is only good for a DD. We definitely need a solution....
Old 05-14-2014, 01:23 AM
lumber
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

"The issue is the "road silt" that a fabric or steel mesh sheet no matter how small the holes will let in. This will build up at the bottom of the radiator and eventually "rot" it out. A louvre arrangement is the only way of deflecting ALL debris IMO."

There already was a heavy buildup of sand/silt on the bottom of the radiator that had to be scraped off. This will also be a problem down the road.
Old 05-14-2014, 05:39 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,393 Likes on 724 Posts

What was Porsche thinking??? Or, is there a perfect good reason for the absence of some thing there to protect the radiator???

Has some one spoken to their Porsche master mechanic for this answer. I would be interested in what they can find out from the German counterparts at PAG
Old 05-14-2014, 06:36 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
What was Porsche thinking??? Or, is there a perfect good reason for the absence of some thing there to protect the radiator???

Has some one spoken to their Porsche master mechanic for this answer. I would be interested in what they can find out from the German counterparts at PAG
Jimmy. Yeah...Right! as we say downunder. While you are getting the wisdom on this from "the German counterparts" at PAG could you ask when my engine will bloody well turn up and if they can predict it will be reliable LOL!

I reckon you are now re reading your email and realising it was written by the optimist on your shoulder :-)
Old 05-14-2014, 08:14 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,588 Likes on 736 Posts

^^ LOL.
Old 05-14-2014, 12:25 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 64 Posts

Until you know the reasons for not having the screen, I believe it is irresponsible to add it. Cup cars are different and as track cars they get full maintenance after each event. Unless you all are into cleaning the screens regularly, you are asking for trouble. Interrupting airflow leading to engine failure is a $50,000 mistake
Old 05-14-2014, 12:31 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Originally Posted by Nick
Until you know the reasons for not having the screen, I believe it is irresponsible to add it. Cup cars are different and as track cars they get full maintenance after each event. Unless you all are into cleaning the screens regularly, you are asking for trouble. Interrupting airflow leading to engine failure is a $50,000 mistake
I think if the airflow has a restriction, the car would overheat first with reduced performance, rather than an abrupt failure.
Old 05-14-2014, 12:38 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

You should just have a course screen there, I've always had it.
Remove screen and vacuum out, you have to vacuum them out anyway.
Attached Images  
Old 05-14-2014, 12:49 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Who made this? Looks good.
Old 05-14-2014, 12:57 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Something like that is what I had in mind. I would think it would stop almost anything that was big enough to damage the radiator yet should have no real affect on airflow.
Old 05-14-2014, 01:04 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 64 Posts

Does anyone know whether the new engines come equipped with the screen?
Old 05-14-2014, 01:04 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Orbit Racing, probably a CUP part.

Mike, right! Plus the front screens don't stop the car's airflow either right?
Opposed to the 996 GT3 and 997.1 GT3 The 997/991 has screens everywhere, except there.
Old 05-14-2014, 01:08 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
F1crazydriver. I received your PM and will respond shortly.

My thoughts are that done properly this should be a "louvre" type grill (i.e. not dissimilar to Magnus Walkers signature louvre grill on his cars). Its the only way of keeping out the debris including rocks without adversely affecting airflow (there is after all a massive fan drawing air into this area).

The issue is the "road silt" that a fabric or steel mesh sheet no matter how small the holes will let in. This will build up at the bottom of the radiator and eventually "rot" it out. A louvre arrangement is the only way of deflecting ALL debris IMO.

Lumbars car has been used in snowy conditions with winter tyres. Hes done 1700 miles. I did 2000 miles in mine in December on European roads (some road grit, ice and snow on side of road but snow under tires). My radiators (what I could see of them) looked in almost new condition. Lumbar has used the car to the extreme along with the guy from Australia who holed his on the track. IMO the current arrangement is only good for a DD. We definitely need a solution....

Macca,

I think we are on the same page. My vent like comment was exactly what "louvre" looks like. I had to google it. I was not sure what term to use- i almost went as far as calling it like how blind turn up or down. Yes this is very feasible and best solution imo.
Old 05-14-2014, 04:40 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

FWIW, APOLO1 in the UK on PH implied that there would be an upgrade to the "inner front wheel arches" when cars are brought in for the engine swap. Another poster (GT3ZZZ) confirmed with his Porsche Center (Silverstone in UK) that there is indeed such an upgrade.

Could it be a cover / mesh for the radiator?

Perhaps this could be confirmed by the first of is who has an engine swap...so we don't need to resort to a DIY project?

Quick Reply: Mesh for front wheel wells