Sponsored by:

Mesh for front wheel wells

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 05:08 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
Below is the response I got from Andrea today regarding my question. I asked my mechanic to procure honeycomb mesh and powder coat it black. Hi Sam, I was just advised that they are not doing the radiator screen
What? That's odd. This is after UK guys on PH have said that they had the screen installed at the time of the swap.
Old 06-04-2014, 05:20 PM
hzoenvy33
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Below is the response I got from Andrea today regarding my question. I asked my mechanic to procure honeycomb mesh and powder coat it black.

Hi Sam,

I was just advised that they are not doing the radiator screen
Hey Sam,

please make sure that the mesh is not too small. In my experience with aerodynamics, you will probably reduce the the mass flow through the radiators by a quite substantial margin (a lot more than you would ever expect!).
If Porsche developed the cooling system without the mesh, there is probably a reason for it (along with probably a bit of drag reduction / front lift reduction) and you should be careful when you push the car to its limits.

Just a point to remember
Old 06-04-2014, 05:27 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,406 Likes on 727 Posts

Has any one spoken with the Master Mechanics at their Dealer. At least they may be able to call Germany and find out if their would be any issues installing a mesh-type fixture to protect the radiator.
Old 06-04-2014, 06:02 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 0Q991
What? That's odd. This is after UK guys on PH have said that they had the screen installed at the time of the swap.
I know. What's also odd is we haven't seen any pics of the install.

Originally Posted by hzoenvy33
Hey Sam,

please make sure that the mesh is not too small. In my experience with aerodynamics, you will probably reduce the the mass flow through the radiators by a quite substantial margin (a lot more than you would ever expect!).
If Porsche developed the cooling system without the mesh, there is probably a reason for it (along with probably a bit of drag reduction / front lift reduction) and you should be careful when you push the car to its limits.

Just a point to remember
Thanks, I agree with you. We are trying to put something with very low resistance and at least 1/4 inch wide holes. Trying to stop big rocks and deflect the smaller ones. I do appreciate your input and if I do get it done (likely), I will continue to watch oil temp while on track. The next two months in Texas will be great to test that.

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Has any one spoken with the Master Mechanics at their Dealer. At least they may be able to call Germany and find out if their would be any issues installing a mesh-type fixture to protect the radiator.
Good point. I'll ask mine if he can find out.
Old 06-04-2014, 06:10 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I know. What's also odd is we haven't seen any pics of the install. Thanks, I agree with you. We are trying to put something with very low resistance and at least 1/4 inch wide holes. Trying to stop big rocks and deflect the smaller ones. I do appreciate your input and if I do get it done (likely), I will continue to watch oil temp while on track. The next two months in Texas will be great to test that. Good point. I'll ask mine if he can find out.
Good point, Sam!

Perhaps if some RL members who are also members on RT or PH could post on those boards to ask Cat A owners who have taken re-delivery of cars to post some pics of the radiator covers?

Would be greatly appreciated!
Old 06-04-2014, 06:45 PM
GTEE3
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Pat L.
Hi guys, sorry I've been MIA... I don't regularly check the boards as it's honestly a little depressing.

I had heard Porsche was coming with a fix for the fender liner, but had already put Gary and Park Place in motion. I wanted to hold off to see what the option from Porsche was going to be, however, it probably won't be as serviceable as a custom part. As mentioned here, you need easy access to vacuum and clean debris from collecting near the radiator support.

Attached are a couple pictures from our 991 cup cars. I think Gary and John [Horton] had discussed quarter turn fasteners instead of rivets to make them more serviceable.

In case you guys want to contact me in the future and I'm not on the boards: pat@patricklindsey.com
Is it time for a group buy from Park Place?
I am in.
Old 06-04-2014, 06:59 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 72 Posts

Hey Sam,

Just a point to remember
I have been saying this from the outset. If Porsche has not equipped the new engines with the screen, I would not put one on. Porsche engineers know what they are doing (I find it difficult to write this given what happened to our original engines:roll eyes and if they felt the screen was needed they would have taken the opportunity to install them. Remember, they already know about one radiator sustaining damage from a thrown pebble which they replaced under warranty.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:03 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey Sam,

Just a point to remember
I just remembered Cup cars come with those screens. Perhaps different design? I agree there must be a reason and I can't imagine it being cost.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:04 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 340 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
I have been saying this from the outset. If Porsche has not equipped the new engines with the screen, I would not put one on. Porsche engineers know what they are doing (I find it difficult to write this given what happened to our original engines:roll eyes and if they felt the screen was needed they would have taken the opportunity to install them. Remember, they already know about one radiator sustaining damage from a thrown pebble which they replaced under warranty.
Yawn...
Yeah,just like they knew what they were doing when they came up with the rod bolts torque ratings,or the Centerlocks debacle,or maybe the coolant pipes...perhaps the IMS was their " work of magic "...
Old 06-04-2014, 07:16 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
Yawn...
Yeah,just like they knew what they were doing when they came up with the rod bolts torque ratings,or the Centerlocks debacle,or maybe the coolant pipes...perhaps the IMS was their " work of magic "...
So would I be correct that you believe Porsche engineers do NOT know what they are doing?
Old 06-04-2014, 07:30 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 340 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
So would I be correct that you believe Porsche engineers do NOT know what they are doing?
No. I'm just trying to point out they've made plenty of mistakes in the past,some they've corrected along the way,some they have not.
In this case,it's hard for me to believe putting those mesh grills in front of the radiators will have a big effect on cooling. Bear in mind that in a 911,the coolant needs to travel from the radiators in the front all the way to the engine in the back. That can only be beneficial IMO in comparison with a front engine/radiators set up where the distance is much shorter and the coolant does not have the extra time to cool even more before making it to the engine.
Also,the mesh can always be removed if one notices any problems.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:15 PM
alpine-al
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

If you are a DIY'r, you can get the material on eBay for ~$16. Search for "Diamond Cut Aluminum Mesh Grill Sheet".

I did the front openings on my 997 C2 two years ago. Spray painted the mesh flat black and attached it with well hidden cable ties to the backside of the front bumper. Still looks great and my radiators are safe from flying stones in the front. Very few people have noticed it. Of course, GT3s come with the mesh in the front - it's the backside of the radiators that have now become vulnerable.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:24 PM
GTEE3
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

need a reasonable answer on why ROW cars are being fitted and NOT the US????
Old 06-04-2014, 08:27 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Surely our European RL brothers have cameras. Please, guys and ladies, how about a pic of the factory solution, if it in fact exists? Even if we end up doing screen for ourselves at least we'll have a clue as to what it should look like....
Old 06-04-2014, 10:58 PM
alaint101
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GTEE3
need a reasonable answer on why ROW cars are being fitted and NOT the US????
I wouldn't take Andrea's answer at face value just yet.

I had asked Ian the same question a while back and he called today to say that he had been told we would get confirmation before the end of June and that no official statement was available from PAG yet.

I pointed out Euro cars and he mentioned it was 'possible' there would be a difference but unlikely...

FWIW

Quick Reply: Mesh for front wheel wells